Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op and hungry

I was really hoping that I would not feel hungry again as that is a major factor in making wrong food choices. At 3 months post op I do feel hungry and I am finding that I can eat a little more too! I feel that everything is going wrong.

Have lost 3 1/2 stones.

Still getting hungry has its advantages more so later on than now. No matter what you can only eat a fraction then your old self. I think you will be just fine.

I haven't had surgery yet but I can tell you a little trick that I've used often in the past. A raw egg is the only 'complete' Protein that is available to be consumed. When the egg is cooked, it becomes a de-natured Protein (you see this when the clear turns white).

I've been adding raw eggs to my Protein shakes for years. You can't even tell it's in there and as gross as it sounds, think about all the times you've tasted cookie dough or cake batter and you didn't mind it then, did you? lol It makes the shake a little creamier and a little thicker (so I use Water instead of milk) and I am full for HOURS! I have to remind myself it's time to eat when lunch hour rolls around. It's amazing and I feel great (more alert and awake and energized).

I know there is a stigma attached to raw eggs and bacteria contaminations but if you look up the statistics you probably have a better chance being hit by lightening or something. I buy free range / organic and I researched how to tell a good egg from a bad one.

Here are a few tips:

Medium or large are the best because extra large eggs come from older chickens.

A great egg has a firm yolk that stands up a bit and a clear island around it that is somewhat defined (and not running all over the place.

Eggs can be used past the expiration date as you will be able to tell if it's still good by the smell and way it looks.

Eggs don't even need refigeration so it's a not as easy as people think for an egg to go 'bad'.

Most bacteria is on the outside of the shell, not the inside. So wash the egg with some warm soapy Water before cracking it.

The more you mess with the egg, the more you mess with the nutrition. Mix or blend the smoothie first and add the egg as the last thing and only blend for about 5-10 seconds to mix in.

Try it! You'll be amazed and you'll probably get hooked! :)

Pauline...

3 mths = 3 1/2 stone (49lb) ... that is amazing... hunger or not!!!

well done and congrats!|!!

with the hunger thing... is it physical or head hunger... is it acid? will a glass of Water help get rid of it?

On my programme I am only allowed to eat three times a day... so if I get hungry between meals I have a drink of Water or a cup of tea... dunno, it might work for you... it does for me!

Let us know what happens x

I don't think it's that uncommon to have some hunger after the VSG. The first month was really the only time I hardly had hunger. Now I definitely get hungry if I don't eat for 3-4 hours. But the hunger is a lot more manageable than before the surgery and it goes away the second I eat like 1/4 cup of food, so why worry?

I haven't had surgery yet but I can tell you a little trick that I've used often in the past. A raw egg is the only 'complete' Protein that is available to be consumed. When the egg is cooked, it becomes a de-natured Protein (you see this when the clear turns white).

I've been adding raw eggs to my protein shakes for years. You can't even tell it's in there and as gross as it sounds, think about all the times you've tasted cookie dough or cake batter and you didn't mind it then, did you? lol It makes the shake a little creamier and a little thicker (so I use Water instead of milk) and I am full for HOURS! I have to remind myself it's time to eat when lunch hour rolls around. It's amazing and I feel great (more alert and awake and energized).

I know there is a stigma attached to raw eggs and bacteria contaminations but if you look up the statistics you probably have a better chance being hit by lightening or something. I buy free range / organic and I researched how to tell a good egg from a bad one.

Here are a few tips:

Medium or large are the best because extra large eggs come from older chickens.

A great egg has a firm yolk that stands up a bit and a clear island around it that is somewhat defined (and not running all over the place.

Eggs can be used past the expiration date as you will be able to tell if it's still good by the smell and way it looks.

Eggs don't even need refigeration so it's a not as easy as people think for an egg to go 'bad'.

Most bacteria is on the outside of the shell, not the inside. So wash the egg with some warm soapy Water before cracking it.

The more you mess with the egg, the more you mess with the nutrition. Mix or blend the smoothie first and add the egg as the last thing and only blend for about 5-10 seconds to mix in.

Try it! You'll be amazed and you'll probably get hooked! :)

Can you tell me how much Protein and how much Water you mix together along with the raw egg? I think I'm going to try this...and yes it sounds gross but I'm willing to try anything to break this stall...LOL

Can you tell me how much Protein and how much Water you mix together along with the raw egg? I think I'm going to try this...and yes it sounds gross but I'm willing to try anything to break this stall...LOL

I would just use the serving size of Protein powder and a little bit less liquid than it called for and I would use Water because the egg would thicken it up a bit. Never tried it with a shaker -always a blender.

It does sound gross but I use to look forward to that Breakfast because it was the only time of the day I felt good! Because its raw it needs little digestion and you feel great almost immediately. It's not gross at all though - it just makes it creamier! Once in a while I would taste a little yolk because I only blended for a few seconds but I love yolk so it didn't gross me out or anything.

Please buy organic / free range eggs though. I don't know how much a difference it makes but these eggs are coming from much healthier chickens and I just feel much safer!

I am 5 months postop and I am also hungry every 2-3 hrs...but after talking to tiffykins on here I'm thinking its related to my food choices and too many carbs..so I am going back to basics and cutting out as many carbs as I can and eat Protein only for a few days..I'm as hungry as I ever was I just cant consume much is all.