Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

I get so excited reading these posts. I am still about 4 months out and it is dragging by. This post keep me excited. You are a wonderful group to cheer others on. Thank you!

I have planned to take with me the following for the 7/22/13 surgery:

Loose sweats or shorts or maxi dress

Button up shirt

Flip flops, avoiding the bending to put on shoes

Toiletries

Gas-X strips

2oz measuring cup, when told how much I have to drink it can be measured

Extra undies, I plan to wear the same clothes home that I arrive in

CPAP

Tums

Phone charger

Book

Leaving all jewelry at home

Ear plugs, hospitals are too loud

Being supplements/vitamins that are required the day after surgery

PJs

The week before surgery the plan is to:

Get a hair cut, and dye hair

Pedicure, get a great color since it will be a few weeks before the toes are touched

Clean the bathroom

Clean the kitchen, setting up food material for my return

Make sugar free ice cubes of my drinks, cherry cubes to drop into lemonade. Make it fun while healing.

Make a copy of my living will to have in my bag for the hospital

Buy thank you cards

Full my car with gas, so those helping can get around.

Purchase liquid pain reliever

All the best to those having their surgery and continued success to those that are now sleeved.

Karen

I truly think it depends on where you are having your sugery. Mine was in Palm springs California at Desert Regional medical Center. I brought shorts, shirts, undies, Kindle, ear buds etc etc and found I used very little. I stayed in the gown they gave me until going home and used my chapstick. Only showered the day I went home. I had a private room so I was able to close the door if it got noisy but they still came in every 4 hours to take my vitals. check with the hospital/surgical center before you take the kitchn sink!!

It also depends on the person. I'm likely to want to read or listen to music at some point - I have for every surgery I've had where I spent a night in the hospital, as I will likely be awake for at least a few hours. Plus, my surgery center doesn't have tvs in the patient rooms, but they do have wifi. Therefore, I will want my tablet and phone, plus earbuds. Others may not need that entertainment factor, but I find it helps distract me from discomfort.

I will also bring my CPAP, though I quite probably won't need it (my apnea is pretty mild).

I'll have lip balm, deodorant, soap and Shampoo (I'm sensitive to some soaps and fragrances, so it's safer). I'll have underwear and socks. I may bring pajamas for comfort while walking around, since I know from experience that I really don't like wearing the gowns.

I'm going to wear yoga pants, an oversized shirt and slip on shoes to the clinic, which I will also wear home. I'll have a small pillow in the car for the 35 minute ride home.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I have planned to take with me the following for the 7/22/13 surgery:

Loose sweats or shorts or maxi dress

Button up shirt

Flip flops, avoiding the bending to put on shoes

Toiletries

Gas-X strips

2oz measuring cup, when told how much I have to drink it can be measured

Extra undies, I plan to wear the same clothes home that I arrive in

CPAP

Tums

Phone charger

Book

Leaving all jewelry at home

Ear plugs, hospitals are too loud

Being supplements/vitamins that are required the day after surgery

PJs

The week before surgery the plan is to:

Get a hair cut, and dye hair

Pedicure, get a great color since it will be a few weeks before the toes are touched

Clean the bathroom

Clean the kitchen, setting up food material for my return

Make sugar free ice cubes of my drinks, cherry cubes to drop into lemonade. Make it fun while healing.

Make a copy of my living will to have in my bag for the hospital

Buy thank you cards

Full my car with gas, so those helping can get around.

Purchase liquid pain reliever

All the best to those having their surgery and continued success to those that are now sleeved.

Karen

we will be surgery buddies! i'm having mine the same day, as long as insurance authorizes it. good luck to you. shall we keep in touch??

Great tips! But how do I get them? Would like to print them out please.Needs for hospital and home.I take my vapor rub sounds funny but I put it under my nose I slept like a baby during my sleep study.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this before, but bring an extension cord. The outlets usually aren't close enough to allow you to use your phone while it's plugged in.

At racheal...yes that cord was à lifesaver for charging my phone...

I just want thank you all for all your wonder, helpful and funny post! You all just make my day. Great suggestions I have great notes.

Rosana

Hi guys, I had my Sleeve on 3-13-13 and was home the afternoon of 3-15-13. So far am doing great. When you get ready for your hospital stay DO NOT POLISH FINGER OR TOE NAILS with any polish as they will make you take it off immediately. This is because they watch the colors of your nails while you are being operated on because any color change of your finger or toe nails can give them a sign that you are in trouble during the surgery. I took one bottle of clear nail polish with me, which I put on POST SURGICAL once I felt better on Day 2. Make sure you take plenty of Chapstick, too, as your lips really suffer going through this. If you take Gas-X strips with you, they won't let you use it because they will not allow you to use any over the counter medications when you are there, but I did take some with me and used one on the way home from the hospital after I was discharged. I also took a sleep mask (black cushioned with a velco closure) I found on Amazon because I knew I might have a hard time sleeping if I wanted a daytime nap. The earplugs were also useful because hospitals are so noisy. Also took a small pillow so I could hold it on my tummy over the 6 incisions once I stood up and starting walking. Now that I have lost 50 lbs., my orthopedic surgeon can replace my hip and knee and I will be able to walk again for the first time in years without excruiating pain and agony. So excited. This Sleeve surgery has made it all possible for me and

I have gone from an impossible situation to orthopedic surgery in just 124 days.

Hi guys' date=' I had my Sleeve on 3-13-13 and was home the afternoon of 3-15-13. So far am doing great. When you get ready for your hospital stay DO NOT POLISH FINGER OR TOE NAILS with any polish as they will make you take it off immediately. This is because they watch the colors of your nails while you are being operated on because any color change of your finger or toe nails can give them a sign that you are in trouble during the surgery. I took one bottle of clear nail polish with me, which I put on POST SURGICAL once I felt better on Day 2. Make sure you take plenty of Chapstick, too, as your lips really suffer going through this. If you take Gas-X strips with you, they won't let you use it because they will not allow you to use any over the counter medications when you are there, but I did take some with me and used one on the way home from the hospital after I was discharged. I also took a sleep mask (black cushioned with a velco closure) I found on Amazon because I knew I might have a hard time sleeping if I wanted a daytime nap. The earplugs were also useful because hospitals are so noisy. Also took a small pillow so I could hold it on my tummy over the 6 incisions once I stood up and starting walking. Now that I have lost 50 lbs., my orthopedic surgeon can replace my hip and knee and I will be able to walk again for the first time in years without excruiating pain and agony. So excited. This Sleeve surgery has made it all possible for me and

I have gone from an impossible situation to orthopedic surgery in just 124 days.[/quote']

Congrats on the progress and the great news that you'll be able to have your ortho surgery now!

Check with your surgeon's office about the nails. Some are fine with them being polished as long as the oximeter can read through it. I have gels and checked beforehand so I could get them removed if needed, but I was told they wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

When do u bring this stuff with you? I mean, u will be on the table, and then recovery if nothing goes wrong. does your family bring it? how does this work??

When do u bring this stuff with you? I mean, u will be on the table, and then recovery if nothing goes wrong. does your family bring it? how does this work??

I know here in Australia at any hospital i have had to deal with your items at preferably kept with your family, if not left with the nurses or in your room.

Then also I have always had my mother their with me no matter what, so she would always have it.

Usually in the pre op room you are given a bag to put your clothes in so they can leave it under the bed that they use to wheel you into op room. Or, you can leave your items with family members and they can bring to your room after surgery. I had my husband with me but I just put my clothes in the beg under my bed with wheels so my husband did not have to be bothered. Once they take you to your regular hospital room the nurse will take them off the bed cart and leave them in your room.

my dad ended up holding it for me