Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

This is worth repeating... I had read preop about a heating pad. I didn't take mine because I had read the hospital has them. So I did ask for one in the hospital but it took a little bit because the nurse had to put in an order for it. But let me tell you, it should be standard for everyone!! I used it most of the 3 days and it made me sooo much more comfortable!! Then any time at home when I felt uncomfortable, only a few days, I used it and it just made me feel better. I highly recommend the heating pad as a staple for at least the first week of recovery!! It saved me!!!

The binder was the best thing ever! My surgeon sends us all home with one. I wore it for two weeks. It helps make your core strong to sit up and move. Plus keeps it tight while you cough Beats holding a pillow there. Plus you can clip your drain tube to it while you have it in. Also a lanyard to clip the drain tube while you shower. Good luck to all!

I've been "lurking" on your site for about a month now and finally joined today. I also joined My Fitness Pal today and with these, I'm beginning my journey back to a healthier life. As I read through the different postings, I jot down new pieces of info into a notebook that's divided into catagories. One of them is:

CONSIDER TAKING THESE TO THE HOSPITAL

choice of gown/pjs/sleep shirt

warm socks

non-slide hallwalking slippers

chap stick

hygiene wipes

beauty products/deodorant/lotion/shampoo

ear plugs

face mask

stretch pants a size too big and shirt for coming home

undies/sports bra

shower flipflops

hygiene wipes

gas-x

biotene mouth spray

phone/ipad/ipod and cords

pen/paper if you don't use your phone for notetaking

small firm pillow for stomach and trip home

list of important numbers in case you don't have access to your phone

copy of advanced directive and power of attorney

Hope this is a beneficial first post!

Thanks moregoodtimes! Great first post ;)

Your last note made me think: make sure if you are an organ donar to let your family/next of kin know. There can be trouble with this if someone gets too sentimental. Here in Aus I have a donar card in my wallet but I believe it can still be cancelled out by next of kin if they choose!

Morbid, but just something to think about even if you aren't having surgery!

Didn't need anything else. I really didn't need the heating pad, either.

Just Do It!!!

I brought pretty much the standard stuff, but I so wish I had my own pillow!

The whole first half of my post i brought my robe (essential) my iphone, ipad and charger. Chapstick and biotene,

. Hospital provided soap lotion, wipes, comb,slipper socks, toothbrush and paste, i brought a heating pad, but didn't really need it.

Just Do It!!!

Thanks I will for sure use this list when done

OMG DIVA! Thank you so very very much! I am going shopping tomorrow and I will have your list with me! Thank you! I do have a post op question, should I get a food scale?

THANK YOU!!!!

You're quite welcome, and yes - absolutely get a food scale. :) As well as small plates, spoons/forks, cups, and measuring spoons and cups. All the best to you in the upcoming days!

Wow this thread has been so helpful!!! Thanks

Had my pre-op doctor's appointment today. It went super! My liquid diet is going good. Life is good. Now bring on the 19th for me!! Good luck sleevers!

Hi guys!

I am pre-op for the sleeve, but I do have some experience with surgeries and hospitalizations. I just had a hernia repaired a few weeks ago and I was "A" o.k. with my 6 day hospital stay. I was in a lot of pain I had 11 incisions from my laprascopic hernia repair. I am about 3 weeks beyond that surgery now and I am waiting for my next sugery, my gastric sleeve surgery, to be scheduled.

I took the blinkers, earplugs, socks/slippers, nighties, underwear changes, cell phone, book, robe, travel pillow, and a dress (without a waistband), the others have mentioned. In addition, I took a small pocket travel fan (from Brookstones) with me. The heat in the hospital gave me prickly heat, and I really appreciated the breeze from the fan. Additionally, I use a CPAP and I always take it with me to the hospital. I gave some thought to taking my own favorite little lap blanket with me to toss on and off at will. I took earpones to use the radio and MP3 player of my cell phone with. My phone also had a camera in it and of course I could send the post surgery shots to friends and family via the cell phone. I took my own Shampoo, liquid soap, toothpaste/toiletries. Don't forget the lip balm or some moisturizing cream (it is so dry and hot in the hospital). Baby wipes are essential to my life here at home as well as the hospital. I use them for my bottom as well as my face and hands. BTW I used unscented/sensitive skin products, and avoid the harsh generic hospital issue toiletries. I also prefer to have my own refillable Water bottle. Magazines are easy to come by if you want them. My purse usually has a mini survival kit which includes paper and pens and soft tissues.

I'm not sure what I forgot, but all this stuff fit in 1 small bag plus my purse. I will re-repost if I remember anything I forgot to mention. Good luck to those of you who beat me into the hospital for their sleeve surgeries. Hopefully, I will be on my way soon too.

Karen

I heard that a sippy cup and baby spoon and fork help a lot

Waiting for my surgery this Tuesday 11/20/12. So hard for me to do this liquid diet. i am hungry. Am i the only one struggling with this? Can't wait for surgery and hoping i can convince my dr to let me stay at least two nights at hospital due to family drama on Thanksgiving concerning my surgery that only my husband seems to understand. The rest of my family ie. mother, brother, sister and others are either obese or have never struggled a day in their life and do not agree with such an outrageous idea as surgery. I've lost many family members to obesity and heart problems and I just dont want that to be me. I just would really love to avoid going to Thanksgiving at all. Are others dealing with negative family?

Vcarrick...good luck with you surgery! I'm so excited for mine!

As far as the family issue (if they aren't supportive) tell them like I told mine. They had told me my entire life I was fat and needed to loose weight, and now that I'm doing something drastic to remedy the problem they DO NOT get to criticize it!!! If they can't be supportive they don't get an opinion!!

You do what makes you happy!