Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do People NOT Lose?

Just wondering. I'm so afraid that my sleeve experience will be similar to my band experience (read: no weight loss). I want to ensure that I do everything I can to lose.

I have yet to hear of a single person that has not lost with VSG when they are following drs orders. Sorry to say, but the band is crap for a lot of people. If you do what your surgeon an nut. suggest, you will succeed. If I may steal a quote from our on site guru, Tiffikins, "you did not fail your band, your band failed you".

Nobody doesn't lose.

EVERYBODY STALLS. I've read of maybe two people who didn't. Know it'll happen, expect it, KNOW that if you just keep on your program, the stall will end. You'll still be losing fat, but the body occasionally will hang on to extra Water when it feels like it needs to balance itself out. Don't freak, don't think the surgery's failed you... it's normal and it WILL happen.

Now, further out you may plateau for several weeks... I have, twice. Both times it's been MY fault. I find myself entering more of a maintenance stage, where I'm having too many carbs, Snacks, and treats. I don't gain, but I don't lose, either. If that happens, you'll know why, and you'll know what you need to do to get things moving again (the hardest part is getting back OUT of those damn habits once they start up again!).

Both of the above posters are right... you really can't seem to grasp how good the sleeve is until you see it in action so to speak.

I am amazed every day at the fact I can eat anything I want to and still lose weight, purely by cutting my portions down.... Ok so spicy stuff gives me more stomach acid, fried foods don't agree with me (not such a bad thing now!).... but I can still eat everything I like just in small portions.

It is like a magic wand. One I wish i had waved years ago but in reality I am where I am... and i'm enjoying the dieting process for the last time in my life......and I never thought I would say that!!

I stalled a bit early on, and some weeks don't loose as much but looking back as Stacey says I can see thats when I've had more carbs than usual, or a few extra treats.

I know that the drill is Protein first, low carb veg and fruits and if room, carbs. My question is, if you were to eat carbs then fruits /veg and protein last instead... wouldn't you lose the same amount if the calories were the same? ( I know we need the protein to stay full and get nutrients to keep the body healing and building, and high glycemic index carbs tend to make you hungry faster....)

Im playing the devils advocate here....:scared0: ? Why should carbs make you stall if the calories are the same?

It's all in how the body processes them and how it releases insulin in response to them.

If you Google Atkins diet, or something similar, it should give you at least a rudimentary lesson on how it works, but I would highly recommend checking out the book from the library (or borrowing it from a friend) and at least reading the first few chapters. It really does make a huge difference!

It's all in how the body processes them and how it releases insulin in response to them.

If you Google Atkins diet, or something similar, it should give you at least a rudimentary lesson on how it works, but I would highly recommend checking out the book from the library (or borrowing it from a friend) and at least reading the first few chapters. It really does make a huge difference!

I am a vegetarian, so never did Atkins, except for about 3 days about 20 years ago. I have followed South Beach as a vegetarian, and found it was the only eating plan that really removed my "addiction" feelings towards food. This made it much easier to avoid eating too much. I think that how and how much we lose weight is more than just calories in calories expended... but that appears to still be the most believed theory in the scientific world...at this point...