Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Sleevers

Hi! I'm a newbie--I just went to weight loss "boot camp" today. I am scheduled tentatively for late January, but I still need a cardiology okay. I am a self-pay, so I'm on the fast track. I'm still a little nervous about the whole thing, but I'm determined to go through with it. I can barely walk due to joint pain, use a CPAP machine, and wear special spring-soled shoes to help my heel spurs. I'll have my surgery in San Antonio. I've been reading these forums for a month or so, and could hardly wait to be "official" so I could join in.

Cludgie, I wanted to say I wish I had taken this step when I was your age! I am 54, and just now able to afford the surgery. Keep a positive attitude--I'll try as well. It may not be easy, but there really is a power in positive thinking!

Hi Folks,

I just typed a really long introduction to myself, and my wireless went awol and I lost it, so I'm saying a much briefer "Hi" for now - I just wondered if anyone facied introducing themselves a little more?

I'd love to know what journeys we have all been on to get here, and what our motivations are for taking this step now?

Basically I had a realisation upon turning 30 that the same isue was destroying me which had blighted my life from being age 6, and although I have fortitude even I draw the line at almost 25 years of misery, so exactly 2 months before I get to 31 I am getting sleeved an I hope it will mark an upturn for the next 30 years, and close the door on the most difficult part of the first 30.

However that being said its so long since I was a "normal" weight I still just don't believe it will ever work for me - weight loss is something other people achieve!

Heres to January guys!

Cx

Toni, I also have decided not to tell very many people. My husband and my doctors are the only ones right now! My husband wants me to tell one of my sons, though--just for safety's sake. I don't want my family policing what I eat, nor do I want every conversation to begin with, "How much have you lost?" I'll probably tell my younger son just before the surgery, since he will have to dog-sit for a few days.

The only diet I'm on pre-op is to try to eat healthier--higher Protein, lower carbs, etc. since I'm self-pay. My insurance covers a bypass or band but not the sleeve, darn it.

Hi everyone!

I thought my date was Jan 3rd but they want me to go in on the 3rd and i will have surgery on the 4th. I can't wait! I found about about the sleeve a year ago and have been going through the process since then and was beginning to think it would never happen.

How many people are doing a pre-op diet? My doctor doesn't require it but i am always on and off one diet or another, maybe i will have more success this time knowing my surgery is coming up. I want to be as healthy as possible when i'm on the table.

I've been overweight nearly all my life. I could get away with the excess weight when i was younger but the more years that pass the more it effects my health and energy. After 44 years of trying to get down to a 'normal' weight the hard way without results i'm ready to try the 'easy' way.:)

I'm trying to tell as few people as possible so i don't have to deal with all the well meant comments and advice about how to do it the natural way. i've already had the 'it might be the easy way but it isn't the best way' lecture.

Toni

Toni, I also have decided not to tell very many people. My husband and my doctors are the only ones right now! My husband wants me to tell one of my sons, though--just for safety's sake. I don't want my family policing what I eat, nor do I want every conversation to begin with, "How much have you lost?" I'll probably tell my younger son just before the surgery, since he will have to dog-sit for a few days.

The only diet I'm on pre-op is to try to eat healthier--higher Protein, lower carbs, etc. since I'm self-pay. My insurance covers a bypass or band but not the sleeve, darn it.

Hi Seniorsleever, How great that you only have to wait a couple of months from decision to surgery, i've been waiting for over a year to get it done and can't wait to get it over with.

The closer it gets the more nervous and excited i get, i still cant' believe that i'll actually lose weight as well as everyone else seems to do.

I will also have to tell my oldest son so he can dog/cat/bird sit but i keep putting it off so i don't have to deal with him telling me i only need to stop stuffing my face with fried chicken if i want to be healthy. He is a raw vegan and nothing goes in his mouth that isn't healthy. I only wish i had the strength his has to do that.

I'm getting sleeve in Grand Rapids Michigan 1/11/11 that is my new me date. Nervous a bit but excited for the results this spring & summer. I wish you all the best

Hello there, I'm getting sleeved on Janurary 18th 2011 with Dr. Mario Almanza in Tijuana Mexico any one else for that day and same Dr. Want to see Who I will be meeting overther. I'm getting excited but nervous at the same time! Can't wait to start my new life!!!!! :)

Hi! My date is January 13, Dr. Aceves. Anyone else here for the same day or thereabouts?

Hi! My date is January 13, Dr. Aceves. Anyone else here for the same day or thereabouts?

Hi, My date is January 12, so right after you. I can't wait! Anne

OMG I'm getting SLEEVED 1/11/11. I didn't even think about that date....OH WELL! They wanted me the 17th but my daughter goes back to college and my husband's job is sending him to school as well.

I started my journey in September...JUMPED through HOOPS with the insurance company to get approved.

I'm VERY EXCITED to be a NEW ME!!!

My surgery has been scheduled for Jan. 24. I have to have a nuclear stress test, lab work, an upper GI, and a chest x-ray all in the next week or so, and if they go okay, I'm all set. My doctor wants me to lose 10 pounds before surgery--I think that is do-able. I'm not going to worry about it until after Christmas, though I am trying to be more careful what I eat. I'm trying to clear away most of my stress-inducing activities as this will be more than enough!

Have any of you already bought you Proteins, whey or Vitamins yet? Can you recommend a brand? Is the only place to buy them in GNC?

I bought chewable Viactive Vitamins and Calcium and sublingual B-12. I have used the Viactive Calcium before and I don't like gummy vitamins, I ordered some nectar sample Protein powders from Vitalady and I bought an enormous tub of Muscle Milk at costco but I haven't tried any of them. There is a thread in the Post-Op forum about Protein suppliers. From what I have seen at GNC and in drugstores, there is quite a selection and if I don't like what I bought, I'll just try something else.

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras on January 6th (a week and two days!!) I'm excited and scared. I'm not so scared about the surgery itself, I'm scared about life afterwards. I guess the unknown is always scary, right?

I've been doing my liquid diet for a few days now and not liking it very much. I tried the powdered stuff from Bariatric Advantage and couldn't do it. It was so disgusting I actually gagged! So I'm drinking cans of Slimfast (or the Safeway brand), and V8 and sometimes fruit juice. I found this really good juice at Safeway called fruit 2day. It has little bits of fruit in it (my favorite is the Pomegranate Blueberry.) It comes in little 6.5 fl. oz. bottles and is 120 calories. I also tried the broth you buy at the store in the can Soup section and it wasn't very good. So I have been heating up cans of chicken noodle and then just straining the solids out. I'm using the liquid Protein bullets to supplement my Protein.< /p>

I saw that someone asked about where to get Vitamins. I got the Gummy Multivitamins and SF chocolate calcium chews at costco. And then I got the sublingual B-12 and chewable Biotin from iherb.com. iherb has a lot of good stuff.

Well Hello everyone!

Just wanted to touch base...I am leaving this Sunday for San Diego and my surgery is on Wednesday. That is only 7 days away! Yipppeeee! I am so excited to get this journey started. I started my low carb diet today. Whew I can not wait to start packing!

Denise B.