Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 Days out from VSG & still struggling w/e mouthful

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is having the same type of problem? Each Mouthful of Water, broth, juice, Soup, mashed potato, etc. seems to sit in my throat and feels like I am going to throw up. Two or three small sips amounts to the exact same feeling. I have to wait about 15 to 20 minutes before I am able to try again. I have thrown up many times, at least that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not that it is pleasant, mind you.

I have had nothing but problems since my surgery. First off I had internal bleeding, then had the bottom of both lungs to collapse, was hospitalized again. Then when I got out, ended up tearing internal stitches again. I'm worried, irritated, and really having a difficult time maintaining hydration. It seems like that is all that I do... Sip, Sip, Sip, drink, drink, drink. Does anyone else have the feeling of being absolutely stuffed with only one mouthful? How do you deal with it, what have you done to work on it? Thanks in advance for any advice and or related learning's.

I had internal bleeding too and other complications. This slows down your progress. I felt the same way and had trouble staying hydrated. I used a kitchen timer to remind myself to take a few sips every 15 min. If you feel you are too dehydrated, go to the ER. For me, it took a long time and it may for you as well. However, don't hesitate to call your surgeon if you are worried.

Hope you get better soon.

hugs,

Maddie

I didn't have the same complications or the same issues with sipping, but I wanted to say I'm sorry you're struggling. I would also think that it's related to your other complications - I'm sure you're healing a bit more slowly. I'd get in touch with my surgeon if you continue to have such problems, especially because you run the risk of dehydration. I'd hate to see you wind up in the hospital with more issues!

Take it easy, and I hope that it gets better. I wish I could help.

~Cheri

Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. It sounds like you are bouncing back each time a problem occurs.

Did you have a hernia repair with your surgery? I did and it caused me to have the worst pain when I swallowed ANYTHING for the first couple of weeks. The pain slowly started to subside around the third week. This was the reason I got dehydrated - it just hurt too much to swallow. The only advice I can offer is to keep something liquid in your hands as much as humanly possible to remind you to drink. I tended to forget about it when I put the drink down. At least when holding it, I had to slowly force some liquids down. I started keeping a container of Water or gatorade sticking out of my purse at the store, in my hand while driving (or in the cupholder when necessary), and in my lap while watching tv. It used to take me forever to drink 8 ounces of Water. Now, I feel like I can gulp with no problem. Time makes a big difference in the process, so it will get better. Just stick with it in terms of drinking. If you have to drink all of your Protein, then so be it. The eating part will follow.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is having the same type of problem? Each Mouthful of Water, broth, juice, Soup, mashed potato, etc. seems to sit in my throat and feels like I am going to throw up. Two or three small sips amounts to the exact same feeling. I have to wait about 15 to 20 minutes before I am able to try again. I have thrown up many times, at least that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not that it is pleasant, mind you.

I have had nothing but problems since my surgery. First off I had internal bleeding, then had the bottom of both lungs to collapse, was hospitalized again. Then when I got out, ended up tearing internal stitches again. I'm worried, irritated, and really having a difficult time maintaining hydration. It seems like that is all that I do... Sip, Sip, Sip, drink, drink, drink. Does anyone else have the feeling of being absolutely stuffed with only one mouthful? How do you deal with it, what have you done to work on it? Thanks in advance for any advice and or related learning's.

Sorry to hear that your having such problems. . as far as the stuffed feeling, yes that is normal. . . remember your tummy is still swollen and with all the complications, it will really be swollen and sore . . but your doing the right thing, sip, sip, sip. . . i'm 8+ months out and am stuffed full with 1-2 chicken wings and spoonful of rice. . . yup that is right, i can drink things just fine, but food, that is another story. . . but i keep on doing what i'm doing and am losing weight, that is why we got this surgery right. . . i'm not saying it's all roses and cream. . . it's hell at the best of times, i have days where i wish i could just sit down and eat it all! yesterday i was really really hungry (yes I have the hunger pangs, never left) and we went to chinese buffet, guess what i had????? well thinking with my eyes (always bigger then my tummy) I loaded up and only ate 2 pieces of zucchini and a dumpling. . . wow, $5.95 for that! oh well . . . restriction it is and restriction is what i get. . . good luck to you!

Just wanted to thank Everyone who responded. I've read it hundreds of times here and its true. Thank each of you for your kind and supportive words of encouragement, support, and well wishes. I cannot begin to explain how much just knowing that there are other people out there that understand, can be comforting and helpful to me on my healing journey.

While I am still struggling, I am taking it one day, bite, sip, step at a time, and will continue to just keep doing what I am doing - what we are all doing.

Starting to wonder now if the difficulty breathing, at least on the right side might somehow be gallstones. Only last week they did a cat scan to see if there was problems in that area. Can gallstones form in a week? I just weighed myself this morning and nearly fell out. i've lost 18 lbs so far. I'm worried that 18 lbs in three weeks is way too fast. At that rate, and the fact that my inability to breath normal is keeping me from exercising and sticking to my planned workout activities, my skin and muscle tone are going to be - what's the word for it? UCK - EGads - OMFraggin Grascious - can someone say Marry a plastic surgeon <snicker>. And yes folks, I do believe that Laughter is so very good for the soul.

I'm now able to get two teaspoons of broth, Soup, pureed Protein powder mix, liquid down at one sitting. Still having trouble breathing but only on the right side now. Back up under the right breast, weird thing is that the pain travels up into my shoulder. Everything I have found makes it sound like gall stones, but they did check last week for that, and i don't know. I just HATE going to the hospital. Too bad my PCP won't just come hook up IV fluids at my house. Oh well, One more Intense attack and I will go, like it or not. I hope all of you are in good health and good spirits. Thanks again for all the lovingly kind thoughts and words.

Charlene

weight.png

Sleeve Date: Aug. 26, 2010

Edited by CmrM8TriX
used HTML instead of BBC code for weight loss ticker

Just wanted to thank Everyone who responded. I've read it hundreds of times here and its true. Thank each of you for your kind and supportive words of encouragement, support, and well wishes. I cannot begin to explain how much just knowing that there are other people out there that understand, can be comforting and helpful to me on my healing journey.

While I am still struggling, I am taking it one day, bite, sip, step at a time, and will continue to just keep doing what I am doing - what we are all doing.

Starting to wonder now if the difficulty breathing, at least on the right side might somehow be gallstones. Only last week they did a cat scan to see if there was problems in that area. Can gallstones form in a week? I just weighed myself this morning and nearly fell out. i've lost 18 lbs so far. I'm worried that 18 lbs in three weeks is way too fast. At that rate, and the fact that my inability to breath normal is keeping me from exercising and sticking to my planned workout activities, my skin and muscle tone are going to be - what's the word for it? UCK - EGads - OMFraggin Grascious - can someone say Marry a plastic surgeon <snicker>. And yes folks, I do believe that Laughter is so very good for the soul.

I'm now able to get two teaspoons of broth, Soup, pureed Protein powder mix, liquid down at one sitting. Still having trouble breathing but only on the right side now. Back up under the right breast, weird thing is that the pain travels up into my shoulder. Everything I have found makes it sound like gall stones, but they did check last week for that, and i don't know. I just HATE going to the hospital. Too bad my PCP won't just come hook up IV fluids at my house. Oh well, One more Intense attack and I will go, like it or not. I hope all of you are in good health and good spirits. Thanks again for all the lovingly kind thoughts and words.

Charlene

weight.png

Sleeve Date: Aug. 26, 2010

UPDATE Feb 10, 2011.

Wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I'm still having problems keeping food down, but not nearly as bad as before. Unfortunately it is taking longer than I expected for some of the symptoms to subside, however they are and my outlook is getting much better. I was stalled out for quite a few weeks and became very worried that things were getting worse. My absolute best advice is for you to just keep on doing what you are supposed to be doing. It will work, things will get better, you will achieve your goals. Don't give up. Remember, everything is baby steps... they do add up or add down rather <snicker>. Love you all.

weight.png

Charlene