Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Red Blood Count & Blood Pressure

Today is my second week since my sleeve operation. Unlike everyone else I did not recover right away and everything did not go completely smoothly and I am not walking a mile a day! First of all this is only my experience no one should get scared because of it.

Doctor said everything was fine and the surgery went off perfectly, but my pain kept getting worse (same night of operation) and I kept feeling weaker. By the next morning, I was feeling really, really weak. By mid morning blood started coming out of the wound next to my belly button. I guess there was no more room inside for the blood so it had to come out somehow. My blood pressure kept dropping and my pulse kept rising. They took a blood count every couple of hours and my red count kept going down. I guess it was pretty obvious I was still bleeding internally.

They finally stopped giving me Heparin (blood thinner) to prevent blood clots in my legs and gave me a blood transfusion of two units. I felt better after that and was able to go home within 16 hours of their continuously monitoring my red count. I ended up spending two nights in the hospital instead of just one. I checked in on Wednesday morning and checked out on Friday evening.

My recovery has been very, very slow. Before the operation, all the stories I had heard were miraculous; walking a mile within a day or two, back to work within two to three weeks. At first I was really down on myself telling myself to stop being such a whimp. I really started feeling depressed like, ?What the hell?s the matter with me? Why can?t I snap out of it?? I know that I have a very, very high pain tolerance. I assumed that translated into quick recovery. Now I know different.

I?m still recovering very, very slowly. If I walk just a short ways, I?m out of breath and tired. I am making progress though. Oh yeah after the first three horrible days of Isopure when you can finally get back on your regular Protein Shake mix, I was so elated?until I started having diarrhea. The first day I had diarrhea only after the Protein drinks (EAS). By the second day, I was having diarrhea after anything I put into my mouth including Water. Obviously this was not helping me to feel stronger. Thanks to the prayers of my daughter?s youth group and everyone else who was praying for me, the thought of changing the type of protein popped into my head and I switched to the ready made Premier Protein which is a whey protein as opposed to EAS which is a soy protein. That did the trick. No more diarrhea. Now I was constipated. A little Phillips Milk of Magnesia did the trick. I?m finally normalized now.

My first bite of cream of mushroom Soup felt like I died and went to heaven. It took me a day and a half to finish a can. I switched to cream of chicken next and after ? a cup I got such a horrible pain in my left side I actually had to take pain medication. That pain lasted for days. I mean really, really painful. I kept thinking, I had no idea that gas could be this painful. About two days after the pain started I noticed new bruising at the site where the pain is. I?m going to see the doctor tomorrow so I?ll discuss it with him. It seems like maybe I?m bleeding again?

Finally after two weeks I?m just starting to get some strength back. I think I?m on the road to recovery now. I?ll know more after seeing my doctor tomorrow. I can?t even imagine going back to work in just 20 days. I just don?t think I can do it. I?ve always prided myself in being a tough you-can-do-anything kind of person. This really has me beat. Maybe God is breaking down that pride a little bit. It?s a very humbling experience to have to admit that I?m not as strong as I thought.

My doctor is excellent, my care was pretty good at the hospital. I do not in any way blame them for what has happened. I am a bleeder. When the nurse was prepping me for surgery and told me she was giving me a shot of Heparin for thinning my blood I told her it wasn?t a good idea because I tend to bleed. She brushed my concerns aside. If she had consulted the doctor and taken me more seriously maybe, just maybe, this may not have happened. God took care of me and that?s all that matters.

I know I?m a bleeder because of my child births. The first one I lost so much blood that they wanted to give me a blood transfusion, but it was the 80s and I was in the Middle East. No way was I going to take any blood. So they kept me in the hospital for five days. They wanted me to stay longer, but I refused. Same problem with the second.

Anyway now that you?ve read my novel. I?ll end this. Sorry to have taken up so much of your time. I just wanted to share with you so that if you?re not one of those miraculous people who rebound immediately, you won?t feel so all alone like I did.

09/04/10

Since I originally wrote this about three days ago, I just went in for my two week check up and my red blood cell count is still not normal yet but getting better. My blood pressure is still very low. In fact when the internist saw me I think he sort of freaked cause he ordered another blood count and an EKG STAT. So we had the results within about 20 minutes. He said not to get up too quickly cause I might get dizzy. If I do get dizzy to call him. To make sure I don't lift anything even slighlty heavy. I guess that's why I'm so very tired. Even just taking a shower, by the time I'm done drying myself off, I need to lie down and rest to catch my breath.

I am feeling ever so slighly stronger day by day. If you're the praying type, I guess you could pray that I regain my strength quickly. That my red blood cells would multiply and my blood pressure would increase. Also that as I try to eat food and add a new one every couple of days that my system would be able to handle it with no difficulty.

I have to see the internist again in six weeks and the surgeon in 3 months. I'm supposed to go back to work on Sept 20th. Both he and the surgeon said that if I need more time off from work they would approve it for me, but I would have to call them closer to Sept. 20th.

Thanks for listening and God bless.

I feel your pain. I was sleeved last Monday due to an overwhelming amount of scar tissue and adhesions from a previous surgery. Last Monday started off great. I was ready and as prepared as I could be at this point. Then came Tuesday. My kidneys are failing due to too much potassium and my heart rate is through the roof. They keep pumping fluids (6 extra liters) trying to jump start my kidneys and gave me some Kayexelate for the potassium. My heart rate is still going crazy and i'm exhausted. Finally, after labs every 4 hours and having no viable veins left they decided to give me 2 units of blood. One of which ended up in my arm not my vein. I'm a black and blue mess and have trouble with not getting out of breath too often. sleeping is complicated as every position hurts. like I don't know what. I feel like such a failure for not bouncing back, but I'm at a loss for my next steps as my dr. isn't concerned. I get it's normal be patient.

Anyways thanks for letting me deflate a bit and good luck with your continuing journey.:D

Dear shrinkingrl,

Oh you poor thing. The Isopure was sheer hell. I actually held my nose and swallowed. It's horrible and I did cheat and start Protein powder a day early. So you must have just recently been sleeved. I will pray that you get enough protein.

Edited by Bonnielass
forgot salutation

Dear NCBLUDVL,

My poor darling. Are you at home now? Have they stablized your kidneys yet? I know exactly what you mean about being out of breath. Don't be too hard on yourself you've only had your surgery what one week ago? I'm two weeks out and still have no energy. Together we can get through this and the fact that there's two of us means that we're not alone. There must be others as well.

Whoa, NCBLUDVL! I would hardly call kidney failure NORMAL and I sure wouldn't be calm or patient in your shoes. However, you now have another sleevetalk.com member praying for you.

Keep us posted!