Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had Laser Hair Removal?

Has anyone had laser hair removal? I'm considering it but I worry that I'll damage or disfigure my face. I'm looking at information on the internet but I'd like to talk to someone who has actually had it done.

I had my first laser hair removal treatment about 6 weeks ago. I was interested in my chin, under chin and upper lip. My doctor did not put any numbing substance on my and I wish that she had on the upper lip as it was sensitive and it hurt some. under chin and on my chin was not a problem. I had some slight redness immediately after but by the time made the 1 hour drive home that was gone. It took a few days for the hairs to fall out and some I helped with tweezers.

I was really amazed at how clean my face was and how smooth. I had an appointment to go back in exactly one month but I just didn't have enough growth - so I cancelled. I am definitely ready for a second treatment now and will make an appointment for next week.

This time I will ask for numbing cream on my upper lip.

I have had electrolysis and the laser is less painful and definitely easier.

I too had my first treatment about four weeks ago. I had my upper lip done only. It was VERY painful and I would recomend the numbing cream for the lip as well. I went to Sona Med Spa in Indianapolis. They have them all over and it was a very nice place.

Yep!

Ive done this. My first treatment was around Feb. 05 - over a year ago. Ive had several treatments - SEVERAL. And like others have said, after 2 months I start seeing growth again. So as "permanent" as they say this type of hair removal is - its not!

Here's the link to the thread I started waaaay back.

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3488&highlight=laser+hair+removal

Let me also add that I went 9 months without a treatment (over the winter months). I was so discouraged at the amount of hair that had grown back. I asked the dermatologist (she does the treatments) - WHY WHY WHY so much re-growth after SO many treatments. She said that i have a hormone going wild.

whatever.

Its aggravating.

Im now considering the electrolysis treatments.

Alot cheaper.

Thanks Paula!

I've been looking online so I know it will take 5 treatments or more, and that some Hair growth will require regular maintenance. How is your hair growth percentage-wise? Are you back where you started or is it still better than it originally was? On that older thread you very much recommended the procedure - do you still?

Thanks for the thread - I should have done a search before I posted.

How is your hair growth percentage-wise? Are you back where you started or is it still better than it originally was?

Yes, definately better then it originally was. By Far!

But, I think it depends on how long you go between zaps. After my 9 month winter hibernation, I would say that I had a 60% re-growth (more appearing each day). End of Feburary (after this long time) I had a treatment. It took about 2 weeks for me to notice that I didnt have black dots (or a shadow)under the skin. But -at this time- I also began seeing little hair sprouts shooting up here and there - so I just plucked those.

Then, by 6 weeks after this treatment I was back to shaving, so I went for another treatment.

This time I told the dermatologist that I was disappointed in how SOON I started seeing hair re-growth - and the quantity of it. So she increased the 'energy' level (alot of the outcome depends on this "energy level" stuff).

Ive had a much better results from this treatment. Im plucking a few strays daily.

Definately not like it was for my very first treatment. Back then my chin/neck hair even wowed the dermatologist and her techniction. How embarrasing! :)

Do I still recommend it???

Looking back, I think that if a woman has such a severe case of facial hair (like mine) then LHR would be a good way to start getting it under control. After its managable then maybe consider electrolysis??? I dunno.

Im like you, scared to think of what long term laser treatments to your face may do.

I've had it done on my upper lip, the tops of my toes and my feet. I've had excellent results. I've had 2 treatments on my upper lip and I'm very pleased. The toes/feet thing was recent, so I'll be going back for my 2nd treatment in a few weeks when the new hair growth comes in.

Like someone else said, the level of power does make a difference. During my first treatment, the tech used a lower level for safety/testing reasons. Based on the results, she turned up the power for the 2nd treatment.

I wish you the best of luck!

This time I told the dermatologist that I was disappointed in how SOON I started seeing hair re-growth - and the quantity of it. So she increased the 'energy' level (alot of the outcome depends on this "energy level" stuff).

Okay, this is a little off topic--but in the general area as most places that do the laser removal also do the IPL treatment for age spots (also called--yuk!--liver spots). For anyone also looking into this... I had really bad spots & splotches on them forearms and hands. It really drove me crazy because I would have to look at my old looking skin while driving. I had an IPL treatment and it lightened the spots about 50%. (The first 2 weeks after this treatment my skin was swollen and looked worse than ever--then it all improves.)

Had another treatment an experienced no swelling or darkening--also no improvement.

So I went back for a third treatment and told her to zap me good as I didn't mind the pain, I just wanted these spots GONE.

*Whew* even w/ lidocain it hurt and that time my arms really looked like hell for about 3 weeks. BUt guess what? NOOOOOO SPOTS. Well, hardly any. My skin is just a little mottled, but definitely no spots.

So for me this was a great treatment. I really recommend it. Just make sure they give you a big enough zap. No pain, no gain (or loss)!

(Sorrry about the little hijack. I just didn't think this was worth a whole new thread.)