Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If it were up to you, what laws would you create?

Back to the cigarette's ...a couple of weeks ago I was driving down the road when I saw something come in my window and fall in the back. (I have a Ranger with the extended cab, I store all my junk back there) I think what I saw was a bee, Done that, but no it is a cigarette and it is still burning!, into my rug! I open the door and fetch it out not noticeing the car next to me is watching. Then the girl says oh sorry...I asked DO YOU HAVE AN ASH TRAY IN THAT CAR? yea but she did not want to uwe it so I have a burn spot in my truck.....No one should be able to use the world as there ash tray. JMHO Trish

After working as a daycare provider for the past 2 years - my law would be.....

PARENTS TO BE must take a parenting 101 class. I have had my fill of people that treat their dogs better than their children. I actually had one that rubbed her daughter's nose in her own pee because she couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. That poor girl has now been removed from her mom's home and is possibly going to be put into foster care - and this lady wants more children!! I say TIE THE TUBES !!!!

thanks for letting me vent....

Tracy

This response is sooooooooooooo biased:

my law.......EXERCISE RESPECT!

1) never go into a fine dining restaurant and start making suggestions on what should be on the menu, or what should be changed on the menu......WHY......the menu is what it is depending on the size of the establishment, its demographics and the environment...i.e. seasonal....there are alot of factors involved. Usually there is an experieced, seasoned, certified chef in the kitchen who designed this menu just for his customers using his experience, knowledge, and credentials......don't INSULT that person. It just isn't right to say "so and so restaurant has "whatever" on their menu, why don't you put it on yours" first answer....BECAUSE ITS ON THEIR MENU. Don't forget...this is his profession.....you wouldn't like it if this happened at your workplace. Don't completely redesign a dish on the menu just for the hell of it...you can't go into Idomo and order them to ship you Queen Anne furniture.

2) don't assume the server is a second class citizen just because of the job they are doing. Most are on their way to receiving education, have been educated but this was the only employment available, or they just love what they do. I am a certified accountant and had my own accounting practice in downtown Toronto for years. My husband saw an opportunity to own/operate his own business while living in cottage country, it would be our stepping stone to retiring up here....I had my hay day......so why shouldn't he. Now, I'm a server. I can't tell you how awful I get treated until the customer finds out I'm one of the owners. I get talked to like I have jelly between my two ears.....like I couldn't possibly have a thought of my own. I get waved away from tables by the brush of a hand on the table top without eye contact ever being made, I get whistled to the table, fingers snapped at me, and some men think its cool to slober kisses all over me when they leave.

3) remember, we are running a business. This is our livelyhood...we have to live too....we have bills to pay too....we also like to have some sort of a reasonable lifestyle like a mediocre vacation once a year. So....don't come in and try to get whatever you can for nothing. You have entered a business so be prepared to pay for it. I am so sick and tired of the freeloaders who buy a bowl of Soup, ask for a bottomless bread basket.....want the "tallest" glass of FREE ice Water and lemon, and bring on extra lemon because you need it, and the sugar, to make your own version of lemonade. By the time you have left you just cost me loads of money.....I have to pay the same wages to serve all that free stuff to you.....I have to clean the linen, I have to pay for the hot soapy Water to clean your dishes, I had to pay for the lemon, sugar, and ice for the FREE tall glass of water I had to pay someone to keep constantly refilled. And NOOOOOO, the free stuff isn't automatically built into the price of the menu items.....that would be totally unfair to those who actually choose to pay for stuff.

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU GAVE SOMETHING AWAY FOR FREE AT YOUR BUSINESS?

4) Children....they learn by doing, I love having them in my restaurant. However, I am not a babysitter. Do NOT compromise your child's safety and the safety of the wait staff by allowing your children to roam the restaurant unsupervised. Would you appreciate a youngster you don't know or own, sniffing back snot, standing at your tableside staring at you while you were trying to eat your dinner?....no, you wouldn't!

Respect.....show a little! :)

Carol

Hey, how about a law against the morons who go all the way thru a checkout line at the grocery then say OH, by the way, here are my 2000 coupons, and when the poor checker finally gets thru ringing them up, then they pull out the check book and sweetly says to the clerk Got a Pen? Or how about women who use abortion as a form of birth control? I think the first abortion should be allowed, if she becomes pregnant a second time, forced sterilization. I'm not against abortionl, I'm against those lazy B*****s who indiscriminately spread 'em then go OOPS my bad...How'd that happen...off to the abortion doc for a little D&C. Life begins at conception...Have a concience

Legalizing gay marriages is a must. Love is love, gender has nothing to do with it.

Teach science in science classes.

Keep rosaries away from ovaries.

No more suspending kids because they won't say the "under god" line of the pledge, that wasn't part of the original pledge anyway. (Yeah, I'm biased with this one)

I can't agree that there is separation of church and state. State bodies are infused with religion. A few simple examples - churches have been allowed into state-run prisons, not for voluntary services, but for reward - the prisoners who attend the classes get better rooms and extra benefits. The InnerChange program is just one example of such faith-based initiatives in state/government funded institution. The SS Block Grant program. The Federal Marriage Ammendment. Religious references on national currency. As of 2005 (don't think it has changed) the law still indicated that court oaths should be sworn on the "holy scriptures", aka christian bible. We're not that far removed from a time when atheists were refused the right to testify in court. Fortunately many courts are making the oath optional (in lieu of affirmation), but by and large it is still offered as an option. And on, and on...

No more war on drugs, it just makes more death. Spend the money on schools, feeding/sheltering the homeless, etc.

License plates should consist of cell phone numbers. I bet a lot fewer people cut you off if they know, that you know, how to get in touch with them. :)

Anyone whose likeness has been used for an action figure can't make any more money, ever!

Lower the drinking age. Seriously. Underage people drink anyway, but when they're around alcohol froma younger age they have much less tendency (something like 75% less) to get stupid drunk just because they can. Foreign countries, especially European, have had a TON of success with this. And in general - let's get better about choosing our battles, and spending a little more time thinking about what is really worth what before we act.

This comes from a state employee I know who works in family services, helping people determine their public assistance eligibility: "People on food stamps have to shop at Aldi." (I didn't even know what Aldi was). Apparently they have a lot of problems with people running out of money, and when they counsel those people on their spending habits they find out they bought brand name everything, and when they look at spending reports people could get about 230% more groceries for the same amount if they bought generic.

term limits for Senator,s...... and make them pay Social Security! like the rest of the hard working people!

And what about free health care?

O.K. heres mine. Smokers that leave the No-Smoking area of a building or room to light up - but they only go to the door way. So, EVERYBODY has to pass their fumes to get out of the room or building. So rude. Put a plastic bag over your head and smoke if you like it that much - let the rest of us breathe!

Make sure we execute them before we find out that they were innocent.

80% of all violent criminals are illiterate. Educating them protects the community. During a pilot program in the 1980's only one of 200 maximum security convicts who received a college education and then were released after serving their full sentence was re-arrested, but 78% of those who did not get schooling were re-arrested. Think of all the extra victims and all the extra money it took to prosecute and re-incarcerate those people.

These are all personal pet peeves. No need to debate these. None of us see completely eye to eye, and the last thing this board needs is another fight right now. Standard down time between fights is 3 months and it has only been less than one. :)

??????????......who is fighting.....I thought this thread was going great.....I also don't detect a debate....let people give what the original question asked. I find it interesting and because its the differences in opinions that help make the world go around......I want to read what people have to say....not debate it....just interested in reading it.

It is! I just wanted to point out that we should not disagree with people's pet peeves. they are so personal. :)

maybe there were not enough smiles in the post. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Prospective employers can't drug test unless the applicant is applying for job which will require contact with drugs (police officer, etc.). Current employers can only drug test if there is a burden of proof that drug abuse is a problem for an employee.

Whomever burns popcorn in the microwave, stinking up the whole floor, has to clean the microwave for a month. Same with fish, whether they burn it or not.

No more suing over stupid things like, "Gee, this hot coffee actually burned me?!" I'm passing a law that says, "Sometimes accidents really are just accidents, and we don't have to waste time and money trying to prove fault so we can dig into someone's pocketbook." AND if you take someone to court and lose, you pay all legal costs associated with the entire process for BOTH sides.

If someone parks way over their line, so close to you that you literally can't get your door open or in your car without having to climb through the other side of the cabin, you automatically consent to having your car towed at your expense.

I would change the wording of The Pledge of Allegiance. My version would read:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisable, seeking liberty and justice for all.

My version takes out "under God" not because I think God should not be a part of people's lives, but because not everyone believes in God and shouldn't have to make a pledge for their country which includes something they don't believe in. If you're forced to say under God and don't believe it, what else is it OK to say but not mean? I also change the words "with liberty and justice for all" to "SEEKING liberty and justice for all" for fairly obvious reasons - liberty and justice are NOT a given in this country.

There's an excellent webpage showing the original pledge and all of the changes made to it - under God being added in a hyper-conservative era (1954). It surprises me that 52 years later, in an era of extreme liberalism, no one has pressed for a change in wording. I'm always filled with a sense of hypocracy when faced with a group of people reciting a pledge which is so obviously flawed.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfc_pledge.html

Oh my. I just reread my post and realized how crazy I sound. I'm not. Well, not more than everyone else anyway! May I add here how grateful I am that none of us can change laws at will?

ban cell phone use in cars

health insurance or pay what you can health care for all

legalize marijuana

allow children to stay in foster care past 18 years old and provide them help/love

legalize gay marriage and allow gay couples and singles to adopt (in fact, give all rights heteros receive to gays)

no parole ever for sex offenders

all criminals receive the same punishment as their crime

i could go on but thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Prospective employers can't drug test unless the applicant is applying for job which will require contact with drugs (police officer, etc.). Current employers can only drug test if there is a burden of proof that drug abuse is a problem for an employee.

Oops...have to disagree with this one. My husband was in the (passenger) airline industry for 35+ years. They test randomly and regularly for drugs/alcohol. As a crew chief, my husband would get the list and give the guys the word - you gotta go pee in a cup. MANY times he heard, "I can't pass the test. I'm gonna go home and I'll be back in two days".

I don't know about you, but I wish they tested pilots and airline mechanics every day for drugs/alcohol.