Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freakin' out at last minute

Okay I know I need to stay away from youtube but I've been watching videos from others who've had VSG and some of them videotaped within an hour of coming out of surgery. This one poor woman kept begging for more drugs she hurt so badly.

I was already ready to call and cancel this morning two days pre-op but my hubby reminded me with two kids under 5 I won't likely be able to line up help, financing, etc again for another year or two and how horrible it's been the past 6 months of being on liquids and having sharp pains. They have in a way become normal for me which is wrong I know.

My 5 year old has started telling us her stomach hurts when she eats so she doesn't have to eat whatever she doesn't want to. :) I keep telling myself I'm doing this for my kids, I'm doing this for my kids. I'm scared to death. Take it this woman may or may not have had surgery before but going from how I feel today (normal to me) to that isn't on my top 10 list. scared.gif

I've had 2 c-sections (old school vertical style) and Lap Band Surgery. Other moms please tell me how bad a revision really is.

I know it is scary and we all feel that way but I did not think it was that bad. I had a button that I could push if needed and it worked. About 5 hours after surgery I was up and walking around. I even went home the next day and was given pain meds but did not take them. I am not saying that it did not hurt but it was not something I could not handle. When all is said and done you will be happy you had the surgery.

This one poor woman kept begging for more drugs she hurt so badly.

Do you have a link to this?

Hang in there Carrie! I'd be worried about you if you weren't nervous about the surgery. I can't speak from my own experience, but a friend of mine was sleeved about 8 months ago and it was a pretty straightforward experience for her. Good news too--I won my appeal with Premera BCBS--based on medical necessity. A revision would seem to fit that ticket.

Good luck and I'll send good thoughts your way-

Fit

Okay I know I need to stay away from youtube but I've been watching videos from others who've had VSG and some of them videotaped within an hour of coming out of surgery. This one poor woman kept begging for more drugs she hurt so badly.

I was already ready to call and cancel this morning two days pre-op but my hubby reminded me with two kids under 5 I won't likely be able to line up help, financing, etc again for another year or two and how horrible it's been the past 6 months of being on liquids and having sharp pains. They have in a way become normal for me which is wrong I know.

My 5 year old has started telling us her stomach hurts when she eats so she doesn't have to eat whatever she doesn't want to. :) I keep telling myself I'm doing this for my kids, I'm doing this for my kids. I'm scared to death. Take it this woman may or may not have had surgery before but going from how I feel today (normal to me) to that isn't on my top 10 list. scared.gif

I've had 2 c-sections (old school vertical style) and Lap Band Surgery. Other moms please tell me how bad a revision really is.

I'm freaking out right with you girlie lol...but we are going to be fine and from what I've read it will be the best thing we've ever done for ourselves:redface1: blessing to you!

My 5 year old has started telling us her stomach hurts when she eats so she doesn't have to eat whatever she doesn't want to. :( I keep telling myself I'm doing this for my kids, I'm doing this for my kids. I'm scared to death. Take it this woman may or may not have had surgery before but going from how I feel today (normal to me) to that isn't on my top 10 list. scared.gif

I totally understand how you feel!! On the one hand you have all the postives, no more port issues, tightness etc... and a wonderful sleeve to takes its place which I'm sure is what you and I both looked for when we got our bands... a permanent decision.

On the other hand because we are revisions we run a higher risk for complications, leaks etc. That is a fact, we do have to think of these things, but I am willing to take that risk anyday rather than waiting for my band to erode through my stomach or just simply cause even more damage than it has already done.

Or we can simply have our bands removed and gain the weight back and regain all the unhealthy disadvantages that come along with obesity. No... I don't think that's an option for either of us.

Hugs!! You will do amazing, and trust me - there are some of us here who do and are going through the same thing as you. Now, I'm nervous but I'm sure as the date draws nearer I'll get ever more increasingly scared. It's a big deal! It's very normal.

Please check in as soon as you are up to it and let us know how it went. You will be ok!!! :)

Today I start the pre-op liquids. I spoke with my husband again last night.

Even after all I have been through, I'm still not 100% on board for this right now. I almost feel forced into having this done because of us planning on moving from DFW to Seattle soon with no support system up there it would be hard for me to find help with the kids.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm on medicine for my fibromyalgia that my pain management doctor gave me that will make it extremely difficult for them to get pain under control. I of course have his information and a card on the medication he gave me. He knows I was planning to have this fixed but the last time I saw him no idea on the date. Most of the time in my experiences, nurses and regular doctors are so scared to deal with us (pain man. folks) they just let us suffer through the pain. Between that and not being "ready" for this I don't think I will do well with this surgery. I know the jerk who did my original lap band 5 years ago, Dr. Robert O. Powell (practiced in TX then CA) did MAJOR DAMAGE to me and I'm scared to find out what all he has done. My husband also had surgery with him and is doing okay. At least he can eat normally.

So between the Pain management (which I allready asked for a PM doctor to be assigned to my case from the beginning) and the damage that was done, I'm very scared they might need some of that 4 pints of blood. Even worse having the job of "full time Mommy" that means a longer heal time that quite frankly I probably won't get before I take full duty of the kids again.

My 5 year old has started telling us her stomach hurts when she eats so she doesn't have to eat whatever she doesn't want to. :mad0: I keep telling myself I'm doing this for my kids, I'm doing this for my kids. I'm scared to death. Take it this woman may or may not have had surgery before but going from how I feel today (normal to me) to that isn't on my top 10 list. scared.gif

Carrie, yes, you need to stop watching youtube, they always make things sooo dramatic on those videos! Secondly, you had 2 c/sections, this WLS isn't near as bad as that ! Yes, I would know, I had 2 c/sections (old school), hysterectomy (old school), and about 16 other major surgeries. . this wasn't nearly as bad. . .at least i was up and walking around about 6 hours after surgery! Very important, walk, walk, walk, can't stress that enough!!! And finally, No your not doing this for kids, hubbies, forum buddies, church buddies, grandparents, parents, or anyone, you are doing this for yourself. . . YOU not THEM. . . good luck!

Edited by thinoneday

Carrie I am sure everything will be OK for you but you MUST go in to surgery with a very positive attitude, that will make any pain more bearable and any complications less likely! I had 3 C-sections, and after my sleeve came back home to be a full time mum of 3 (including a 9 month baby), wife cook, etc. I was in pain after the operation, but to be honest you forget all about the pain after a few days, I expect in the kind of way labour pain is forgotten once you have your beautiful baby in your arms!.Good luck in any desicion you make, but remember, be positive!

I'll tell you the truth 100%. For me, the revision was way easier pain-wise than the band surgery. My revision took over 3 hours, I had loads, and I mean tons of scar tissue and adhesions that had to be taken down just to get to the port. I was up and walking way quicker with my revision than I was with my band surgery.

I can't really compare my recovery to others because I did have complications, but the first 2 days post-op were great. By day 2 I was laughing, talking, power walking the halls, and ready to go.

I firmly believe going into the OR with positive, calm mindset, your recovery will be smoother. If you need to, ask for a pre-op iv cocktail. I prefer a little valium before being wheeled back. I get anxious for any surgery, and I cry, and literally weep. I tell the anesthesiologist that I need something, and every time they are very accommodating to my needs.

I'll keep you in my thoughts Carrie, and just know that you're going to do great.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm scared to death I'll be jumping from the skillet into the fire with this because I'm always that one. If the lotto was an execuation type thing then I probably with my bad luck be the first number picked.

I'm not ready for this surgery so it makes it really hard to be mentally happy about having major surgery. I guess I'll just do it for my kids and go on. I can't really do much with my band at the moment but every now and then get a "window" of time to eat. It's going to be difficult to do all the drinking required and as I already find eating as an un happy experience, I know I'l have to force myself to try to remember Protein, Water level, etc. One thing I haven't figured out is the fact I'm on 7 different meds at the moment. none ar horse pills but they are meds and one is a gel cap type pill. I feel like my future is going to be drinking nasty Protein and taking pills (my regular 7 with all the vitamins) so that bring is upt to 13 pills!!! each day. :001_tongue:

Talk to your pharmacist on your RX. Anything that is time released will need to be adjusted, and I'm pretty sure anything that is a gel cap can be swallowed, but check with your surgeon and pharmacist.

Sending you strength and good wishes Carrie. Be strong. Your kids need you and you know you'd do anything for them, right?

Just think that there's nothing more important than that, and you'll be fine.

Your kids need you and you know you'd do anything for them, right?

Just think that there's nothing more important than that, and you'll be fine.

That's what I think the problem is. I am doing this for them or my husband not me. Most other folks on here say I did this because I want to. ______. Me I feel like I have no other choice but to do this and do it tomorrow.

I know I don't want another band. I know I don't want RNY but I also know I don't want to take my band out and gain all the weight I've lost and kept off and then some when I can suddenly eat this or that after 5 years in an uncontrolable format. My husband refuses to let me live like I am on liquids for any longer. I feel like the kid going in for shots and it sucks.

Carrie- I have not the surgery yet since mine is scheduled in Dallas tomorrow as well but wanted to offer my support. Sending you thoughts and prayers for an uneventful surgery tomorrow.

(((hugs)))