Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Take Medications?

How do you take your medications?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you take your medications?

• I never take pills.
    • I crush/break them or take them in liquid form.
    • I swallow small pills normally but crush/break/use liquid rather than take large pills.
    • I take my medications normally.
    • It depends on my level of restriction. If loose, I take pills normally. If tight, I break/crush them or take liquid.

I take 8 pills in the a.m. and 11 pills at night! To say I struggle to get them down and keep them down is an understatement! I take a few at a time with lots of room temp Water. I used to crush them but my teeth and gums were taking a beating. Now I just go really slow and hope they stay down!

I take my meds at night - when I have the most wiggle room. Unless I have just had a fill - I can take them normally - even the Capsule one.

I take thyroxin or my hypothyroidism fortunately they are tiny pills so i dont have problems taking them normally however i have liquid panadeine for headaches and stuff.

:xena_banana: becky

My meds in pill form are tiny enough that I can take them whole without problems. The capsule form ones I have to remove from the capsules and empty into my Protein Drink and mix it. Otherwise, the taste is gross!:angry

I take a ton of pills. Probably 15 a day. Most of them are small, so I can just take them. After the surgery I had to open up my cymbalta caps. That was annoying because I would forget to take them (it took longer so I would save them for last) and before today it was about 4 days before I took them. So now I'm depressed and so forth. Duh. Not a good idea, not taking meds. But they now go down. I do have these huge decongestant pills that right now won't though. So I take sudafed every four hours and cough Syrup. Yuck. I'm hoping that I can swallow those in bits soon. I break some pills, like my provigil, in half.

I give myself a lot of time to take them now. Before the band it was just a couple handfuls and a few gulps of Water. Now its one or two pills and few sips. Wait a little while. Then repeat.

I can't wait until I can take my NSAIDs again. I need mine if I am going to be physically active. I either have a choice between opoids or NSAIDs. For daily pain the opoids are stronger than I want to use. I have a prescription NSAID that usually take about 4-7 times a week (suldinac aka clinoril) and its difficult without it or even aleve (I have Fibromyalgia). Plus I also would have trouble swallowing my darvocets-- those have to be chopped into little pieces (not available in liquid). Get a good pill cutter from walgreens and even a razor or two if needed.

If it is a pill I have troulbe swallowing (the tiny uncoated ones for me actually) then I might just swallow it with apple sauce instead of Water. Makes it easier sometimes.

I also have a couple meds that are applied through other methods (vaginal ring) and an adhesive patch. No swallowing required.

I bite mine into smaller bits. My daily capsule, I just swallow. My Vitamins, I open up or puncture into a mass of goo and mix in a little chocolate whey Protein Shake mix. My gel caps make the liquid. Then I put it all in a spoon and "chase" it with something good, like milk or V8. Tastes absolutely horrible without that chaser. (Hold your breath and swallow!)

I take 15 pills a day. I used to be able to swallow 4 or 5 at a time, now I just take each one individually and have not had a problem. Let's see how it goes after I get a fill!

Stacy

Can Calcium pills be crushed? They are just over the counter type but are huge!

I also take Tylenol PM at night and wonder about crushing them as well.

I take Cymbalta and it is fairly large. It is a capsule and bet it cannot be crushed. Bet I need to talk to the doc about that one. Anyone know?

i have to take my very carefully even now when i don't have a tight fill. i have thrown up birth control pills in the evening though.

when i'm tight, i have to be very careful with the amount of Water that i swallow to get the pill down, no more than a small swallow. any more and it is coming back up.

liquid anything just gives me the willies lol......and I'm hoping this band will rid me of my diabetes and high blood pressure an that's 3 pills gone if it does :thumbup:
Trust me Sunny - IT WILL. :tt2: :thumbup: :laugh:

I say this because my PCP just recently took me off Metformin too. To that....All I have to say is **BUH-BYE** BIG PILL.

I still have one more big pill to take, but that is for the neurological disorder I have. The pill is Depakote @ 500 mg. Trust me, that sucker is HUGE. I have to take FOUR of these a day PLUS a smaller version @ 250 mg. That's A WHOPPIN' 2250 mg. right there.

All just to keep me from having seizures and landing in the ER as a result.

Hopefully my neurologist will readjust my Depakote levels to match my weight. But until he does that, I have to keep all 2250 mg. of Depakote.

Ohh yeah, I also have to take 1000 mg. of Keppra per day ON TOP of the Depakote for a total of 3250 mg. of anti-seizure medications per day. :)

The Keppra isn't hard at all to take with my band either. My problem lies with those four 500 mg. Depakote pills I currently have to take.

Just my $.02 worth....

Cheers :lol:

I take an extended release capsule for my heart. I have tried the non extended release before and it didnt work well for me. My surgeon says it should be fine but from everything I read it has me worried.