Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Take Medications?

How do you take your medications?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you take your medications?

• I never take pills.
    • I crush/break them or take them in liquid form.
    • I swallow small pills normally but crush/break/use liquid rather than take large pills.
    • I take my medications normally.
    • It depends on my level of restriction. If loose, I take pills normally. If tight, I break/crush them or take liquid.

I've heard various reports on how people deal with taking medications post-band. I'm hoping to get some data from you all...so--what do YOU do with regard to meds now that you are banded?

Thanks for replying,

Mslynn

:wave:

It would depend on the pills. Small pills can be taken normally. Some pills/capsules--extended release and the like--cannot be broken or chewed. You have to go to a non-extended release form if you can't handle the pill. Capsules can be held on the tongue to soften, and then swallowed just as the the Gelatin is about to dissolve. Some pills come in a dissolve-on-the-tongue form...like Claritin Redi-Tabs.

And changing to liquid is not the solution to everything. With NSAID's, especially, it isn't the size of the pill or how long it sits in your stomach that causes the problems. It's the chemistry of the NSAID that makes the pain go away, that also reduces the mucous lining of the stomach, making it more susceptable to irritation and ulceration.

Hi i take my daily tablets by crushing them between two spoons. I then mix them with some yoghurt or diet jelly to take away the awful taste. I hope that helps.

I dont take any medication regularly, other than the occasional headache tablet. But my daily Vitamins I just down them with a glass of Water - I take a multi, 2 flaxseed and 2 fish oil capsules. I have been known to gag on them, I loathe taking big pills but have no problems restriction wise with them.

So far, I have not had any problems taking medications of any kind. However, I have my first fill scheduled for Monday, so things may change after that.

I take a chewable Centrum and Viactin calcium chews. My Metformin is crushable, so I usually break it in pieces or use a pill cutter. I rarely get headaches or pains, but I keep a bottle of childrens liquid Tylenol around. It really isnt much of a problem.

I'm glad this thread is here......at this time in life *pre -band* I take SEVERAL pills :omg:

Metformin worries me as it's so danged big!! I'm thinking perhaps my PC can find something else that's smaller than Metformin.

I just scoped out my other meds and they're pretty small, so I'm thinking I might be able to swallow those.....:phanvan At least I hope so.....

Liquid anything just gives me the willies lol......and I'm hoping this band will rid me of my diabetes and high blood pressure an that's 3 pills gone if it does ;)

The only thing I've had to take that isn't chewable (vitamins) is something for my sinus headaches. My cocktail is a dose of adult liquid Tylenol chased with a swig of children's liquid benadryl. I love it, works much quicker than even the capsules.

My doc said nothing bigger than a birth control pill. That has not been a problem for my synthroid, birth control or the meds I take for migranes. The problem I am having is the Welbutrin XL I take for depression and ADD. I tried lots of different things for years and if I have to choose the meds or being fat I choose the meds. I am taking 300 mg. daily but my PC split the dosage into two smaller 150 tabs daily but they are still bigger than recommended. I had my first fill several weeks ago but it didn't really take because some of the Fluid was absorbed. I had my second fill yesterday. When she pulled out the fluid from the first fill I only had 1.1 cc left from the 1.8 fill. She refilled it with 1.8 cc and I feel really tight today. I felt like I was just barely able to get my meds down this morning, but I am also tight enough that I am full after just a couple of bites. If I can keep this amount of fill I think it could work. I am hoping to find a balance between losing weight with my band and still taking the medication that I really need.

I take a children's chewable complete multi and 1 other med about the size of a birth control pill, every day. Haven't had any trouble.

I was told that as long as it's smaller than the size of a pencil eraser it should be O.K. Any time I've had to take something else, like a pain pill, cold medicine, or tylenol I just break it into pieces small enough and swallow it down. I have used applesauce, yogurt or SF pudding, something of substance helps it to go down. I don't like the taste of crushed meds, so if I can break it up I do. I also hate the taste of liquids so if I can get it in pills that I can break up, I do. I haven't tried a capsule bigger than a nexium. Didn't have trouble with it, but don't have to take it anymore.

My Dr. told me not to try to swallow anything larger than a birth control pill. They advised me to crush pills and open capsules so that is what I have been doing but I don't take medication daily outside of bc. I take Nexxium occasionally but haven't since being banded. My pain med after banded was in liquid form. I have heard from other bandsters that once you get filled that you can't swallow pills but usually can before but I never tried it!!! :P

I take Welbutrin XL and Zoloft together for Depression, and Naproxen for my arthritis pain...plus Tylenol Arthritis, glucosamine sulphate and a one a day. My surgeon said some of them can be changed to smaller doses more frequently to keep me on my meds and let them go down. Great tips for taking them. Thanks.