Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gastric sleeve plication

I just had the new procedure called "gastric sleeve plication" I am 21 days post op. It was quite difficult to find much information on this since it is so new. I am very pleased with my results, surgeon, and overall experience. I would be happy to share information with anyone considering "plication" My surgeon was Dr. Corvalas in T.J. Mexico. I am down 14 pounds at this point. No problems whatsoever.

Congrats! I remember you posting somewhere that you had a lower bmi... I am here now waiting in my room and scared to death!!!! My bmi is 30 and has been for years so I hope this is my answer... The doubts are in my mind, but I will do it... Keep us updated!

Mari

Congrats! I remember you posting somewhere that you had a lower bmi... I am here now waiting in my room and scared to death!!!! My bmi is 30 and has been for years so I hope this is my answer... The doubts are in my mind, but I will do it... Keep us updated!

Mari

Hi Mari,

Don't let fear take hold of your good judgement. I didn't tell anyone but my husband about my surgery because I didn't want a lot of negative comments that created fear. I will be thinking of you and wishing the best for your journey. I have 50 lbs. to lose and keep hearing "you don't need surgery to lose JUST 50 LBS!! I have carried this extra weight for 20 years and am tired of struggling. You can reach me directly at jandkbrady@comcast.net I will be glad to correspond with you and encourage you. Be patient. I didn't feel like myself until day 10 post op.

At day 13, I had lost 14 lbs. I couln't walk a full 30 minutes until day 21, but I walked 10 minutes the first week and built up my time. Do what feels right to you, take your time healing and follow your surgeons guidelines..... Let me hear from you. K.B.

There is some additional support for your specific surgery:

www.SleevePlicationTalk.com

Congrats and hang on, you'll start feeling just like you (only better.)

There is some additional support for your specific surgery:

www.SleevePlicationTalk.com

Congrats and hang on, you'll start feeling just like you (only better.)

Thanks for your helpful info. I love this thread....so informative. I am very low-tech so your help was really appreciated.

Hey, I had my surgery done with Dr. Corvala also. Mine was on July 16th. I had a terrific experience and look forward to more weight loss. I've lost a total of 17 lbs so far. 7 of them are pre-op. So I guess only 10 since surgery. How about you? Yes, I know there isn't that much info on the plication. I think he's done less than 75 so far. Only a couple other Drs. are doing them in the states.:sad0:

Hey, I had my surgery done with Dr. Corvala also. Mine was on July 16th. I had a terrific experience and look forward to more weight loss. I've lost a total of 17 lbs so far. 7 of them are pre-op. So I guess only 10 since surgery. How about you? Yes, I know there isn't that much info on the plication. I think he's done less than 75 so far. Only a couple other Drs. are doing them in the states.:sad0:

So glad to hear you are doing well. What was your BMI starting out? Did you have to do a pre-op diet? I thought Dr. C. was exceptional....such horror stories about T.J. but I could not have been more please with the facility and the staff. I had a 31.5 BMI to start so I didn't have to do pre-op. I lost 14 lbs. in the first 13 days. I am on day 21, but only lost 2 this wk. for a total of 16. I have 50 total to lose. Someone on this site sent me a great link to plication procedure that has been really helpful. Have you checked out the site " the world according to eggface" ???? She had gastric bypass, but the recipes, encouragement and humor on her site is priceless!!!!!!!!! Let me know how you progress....and good luck to you!!!

k.b.

Mari: Hang in there, and best of luck! You will be SOOOO happy you had it done! I too just recently had surgery with Dr. Corvala in Tijuana Mexico on 07/23/10. I also had the gastric sleeve plication. I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital there, and the treatment I received.

My weight was 231 lbs with a BMI if 39 pre surgery. I have only weighed in once so far, and lost 8 lbs 2 ozs. Next weigh in will be this Friday! So far the recovery has gone well. I did have a kidney stone complication after returning home, but according to the doctors I saw it in no way had ANYTHING to do with my surgery. I feel a little set back because of that as I was admitted as an inpatient here for 2 days so they could blast the stone. Very Painful....the surgery was way easier, and I have to say I would take that hospital in Mexico over the one I was in here in Florida any day of the week! I am eating soft, mushy food currently with no problems.

I think we should all keep in touch as we are all pioneers in this new procedure! Having others to talk with really helps....Penny

Mari: Hang in there, and best of luck! You will be SOOOO happy you had it done! I too just recently had surgery with Dr. Corvala in Tijuana Mexico on 07/23/10. I also had the gastric sleeve plication. I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital there, and the treatment I received.

My weight was 231 lbs with a BMI if 39 pre surgery. I have only weighed in once so far, and lost 8 lbs 2 ozs. Next weigh in will be this Friday! So far the recovery has gone well. I did have a kidney stone complication after returning home, but according to the doctors I saw it in no way had ANYTHING to do with my surgery. I feel a little set back because of that as I was admitted as an inpatient here for 2 days so they could blast the stone. Very Painful....the surgery was way easier, and I have to say I would take that hospital in Mexico over the one I was in here in Florida any day of the week! I am eating soft, mushy food currently with no problems.

I think we should all keep in touch as we are all pioneers in this new procedure! Having others to talk with really helps....Penny

Hi Penny,

Did you have a dr. lined-up for follow-up care before you left for Mex.?

I don't have a follow-up physician, but have an excellent family dr. if necess. I have had no problems whatsoever. SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR KIDNEY STONES!!! Have you ever had them before? I haven't but heard they are a killer.... I hope you do great!!!!!

Yes, us plicationer's should stay in touch. Dr. Corvala did tell me since this surgery is so new there isn't alot of data from years of experience telling us the long term effects. I guess that makes a tiny bit concerned. Does that piece of stomach that is rolled up just sit there? Would it ever die? I don't know. Just thinking out loud. How are you guys doing with your food now. Still at the mushy stage. I admit I've had some harder food. I find out that it can hurt some. I had some beef meatvballs the other day. They hurt. I had some frosted mini wheats (I know, bad) without milk. They hurt. the soft stuff feels the best but what I wouldn't give for a big slice of pizza with everything. MMMMMMM! Remember the good old days.

Julie

Hi KB and Julie:

No, I didn't have a follow up doctor for when I got back. Like you I plan to visit my regular PCP when I have lost some pounds! Yes, about 25 years ago I had a small stone which passed on its own, and you are so right....they are NOT fun!

I don't really think about that far down the road, and worry myself unnecessarily. There's enough people doing that already for us if you read all the negative posts about the plication surgery! I have to laugh sometimes, because it wasn't that long ago that the gastric sleeve was a "new" procedure. Most insurance companies still don't cover it. I think I would rather take my chances that if something were to happen, it could be reversed. It would be far worse knowing most of my stomach had been cut away. Then what is the option? I know that I like being able to eat even in small amounts, and not have the ill effects that are associated with the sleeve.

So far I am doing really well with food intake. I'm still leaning towards the soft foods, but I think I am a week or so behind you both. I have tried a turkey burger cooked soft, and that went down although a bit rough! I really, really had a craving for meat when I did that though. I felt my body was telling me something. Dr. Corvala said listen to your body, and I have been. Everyone is differant! The hardest thing for me is getting in enough Water. I have difficulty swallowing it, and have tried adding Crystal light. What are you both doing to get your liquids in?

Penny

My surgery was on the 15th. I'm still on mushy food, it just feels better. I have tried noodles and Pasta, those don't hurt, for me it was the Tomato sauce in the lasagna I had that made me have sort acid indigestion, so I took an extra Nexium.

Are you guys still crushing the Nexium, I'm just cutting it in half now, but am sick of doing that.

I am venturing out this weekend and we're going to make chicken kebabs....I'll get some yogurt sauce to dip the chicken into....

My incisions have little nylon antennas coming out of them so I think I'll call Dr. C's office and ask them about what to do.

I am loving Beans and yes...I am ready to dive into pizza....I figure if it got too bad, I could eat the toppings off of a piece.

I weigh in on Friday.....so a few more days before I step on the scale...

Hi CK:

I am taking Protonix not Nexium. Not sure how big Nexium is, but the pill I take is relatively small to start with. I am no longer crushing it. I break my Cipro in half, and take it as I'm on that antibiotic for a week. I started crushing, and it tasted horrible. No problems when it comes to swallowing either of them.

Yes, I also have the antennas you are referring to. I emailed Dr. Grusko when she sent her follow up, but no reply. I am hoping someone responds to me.

I haven't ventured in to spaghetti sauce territory yet. Haven't felt for it yet. I used to be a big Italian fan! I still haven't ventured to far away from soft foods as of yet, and I'm not even craving a pizza...LOL Although my 2 daughters are coming to visit tomorrow, and my hubby wants to take them out for pizza of all things. I will find something to make due with. My biggest craving so far has been for salad, and I am afraid to even try yet. Has anyone attempted salad? Penny

Hello everyone! I am 4 days past the plication and feeling a bit better. My huge problem is dehydration. I can't seen to get Water down without tiny sips every few minutes. Is that normal? I can manage a bottle but I can feel I need more.. Any tips? Thanks for all your help and advice!