Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band or Gastric Sleeve???

If you lose weight after WLS, why would you want it to be reversible?

Maybe you CAN get the band reversed, but if it worked well, who would want to?

I WANTED a permanent solution to my obesity.

I went from band to sleeve and it's been wonderful. With the band I had reflux and felt horrible a lot and had to be very choosy about what I ate. I would a lot of times have to hold my bra out when I ate because everything seemed to get stuck right there. Since being sleeved, I have had no heart burn, no reflux and no problems eating anything. I feel completely normal like I did before the band. I wish I had known about this before. I was so scared before the surgery I almost cancelled 2 days before. I'm so glad now that I didn't.

hi, i had the sleeve and it has been the best decision i have ever taken!! i love it, the recovery is faster, i didn't have any complications....so i totally recommend the sleeve and if you ask me Dr.Aceves is the best doctor!!:001_tongue:

I will just tell you my experience with the band and let you decide! My band never held the Fluid when I had a fill. The fill would last about a week and then gradually go away. I did manage to lose 70 pounds at one time, but put back on 25 when the band stopped giving me any restriction. I gave up and didn't want to deal with it anymore. About two weeks ago, I got a sharp pain in my side that kept me from walking. I had to go to the ER. They thought I had appendicitis. They ran some scans and found that my lapband tubing had broken off and the sharp edge was poking me in the side. They also said my port had flipped. It hurts like HELL 24-7! When I went to the doctor he found that my band had slipped and that is why I had no restriction. Now my port site also hurts like crazy as the broken tubing is pulling on it. I have to wait for insurance to approve everything and my doctor thinks the sleeve is a better option (this is a new doctor,as I was self pay for the band). It is so embarrassing having to explain everything at work since I am missing all of these days for preop testing. I am sure they are thinking, "Just stop eating." I wish it was that easy! Fills are a pain as well (unless you enjoy sharp needles going into your stomach). Hope this helps you with with your options. :001_tongue:

For me I was concidering the lap band, but everything I've read about the problems and sooo may followup visits. I decided it would be the wrong choice for me. The sleeve is the best fit for me. I've been on this site everyday for the past month and it's been so much help and everyone here is so honest. So keep reading these posts. Good luck in whatever you decide.

:001_tongue: Kelli

Does anyone have any long term VSG results? I know the usual possible complications (leaking, reflux, etc) but it seemed like last year when i was on the band forum, everyone seemed fairly happy with their bands (maybe that was just what I wanted to see) and now it is like the foreign body from hell, lol. I just want to be sure of what I am getting myself into in case there could be issues 5-10 years down the road with the sleeve. Any statistics or research sites would be fabulous. :001_smile:

Edited by irkenpanda

Data doesn't go much past 5 yrs as it hasn't been done in large numbers for long enough.

My surgery was delayed to due surgeon's privileges issues, so I was on a diet for 4 months. My GERD went away when I lost 30 lbs. I lost a total of 40 preop and have lost another 30 in the 6 weeks since surgery. No sign of the GERD and for a few more months I will be on Nexium. But I feel great!!! Really happy with my sleeve, and my fully functioning stomach with nothing rerouted anywhere. It's just small, which restricts the AMOUNT I can eat, but not the variety. Getting past the liquids diet is probably the toughest thing, but even that is not bad. I too live in Phoenix. Send me a PM if you want to chat privately.

GG

Thank you for your responses :) I posted the same entry on lapbandtalk and got one response telling me to come here lol.

I think my biggest concern is that if something can go wrong it will (with me that is)...I'm a walking murphy's law. My mother was a nurse and talked about "GBGB" patients quite a bit (that's Gastric Bypass Gone Bad).

I know this isn't a bypass operation but those stories still haunt me. I figured with the lapband if something were to go wrong I could just have it taken out....but when I looked at all the complications that could happen with it is when I thought about the VGS. My other concern is that I have bad GERD already and the surgeon said he doesn't recommend it for GERD. I used to not have but after four babies, a hiatal hernia, and being heavy it just happens. I'm hoping getting the hernia fixed will help as well as a diet change.

I forgot to mention that the a special advertised on bands was what took me to the WLS seminar in the first place. I didn't even listen to the whole speech from Dr. Husted (who was my original doctor). But luckily my husband paid attention. After the seminar, chatting with Dr. Husted, I learned I was not a candidate for the band and went home broken hearted.

My husband started talking about the sleeve. Then I started thinking about it and was afraid I wouldn't lose enough (I am a heavy weight) and started researching the DS. But the thought of having my guts rerouted and all the food restrictions and gas, bad odors if you eat the wrong thing, diahrrea, dumping, etc...made me reconsider it. So, I finally made peace with the idea of the sleeve.

Once I made up my mind, I couldn't get it done fast enough (I also had a tight window of time that I had to get it done in) and Dr. Husted was new in town and couldn't get privileges at the hospital. Because I am a private pay, his price was prohibitive too. I couldn't raise enough cash in my time frame. A friend put me in touch with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali and I ended up going to him for my surgery, for 40% of the price and he is every bit the awesome surgeon that Dr. Husted is. It was wonderful. I have had virtually no problems, I am 6 weeks out and on a regular diet now. Still losing, though not as fast as the first 4 post op weeks. GERD is gone, and I have no regrets.

But it is a permanent solution to a problem that has haunted me for nearly 30 years. I just didn't want to keep the yo yo going anymore. The thing I like best is that I am always satisfied after eating. Maybe my tongue might want more, but my stomach is sated, and on just a little bit. Some things I can eat a little more of, some things less, but usual dinner is 4-6 ounces of food. I'm pretty much full on the Protein, but I also try to get some produce in as well, when I can.

The only thing I had to "give up" was soda. And that was no great sacrifice as I mostly drink Water and iced tea my whole life. My once or twice a month coke was easy to walk away from. And for the first time in my life I feel like I am in control. My only regret is that it didn't exist 20 years ago. It's safe, not too painful (much less than my gall bladder surgery was 7 years ago) and PERMANENT. My permanent quality of life is the best part.

GG