Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Meal after the Mush stage.....

Dying to know what you guys ate when it was finally time to introduce solids. Not quite there yet but don't even know where I would start?

It's been so long that it's difficult to remember what I tried first, but I stuck to pretty basic stuff. I can remember one of the first things I was excited to try was beef broccoli from the local chinese place. I was able to eat an entire 2 pieces of the beef, and I sip down a bunch of the sauce. It was heaven.

I stayed on mushed/pureed/soft solids for a long time because that stuff just worked better for a couple of months. I was still able to get in all of my Protein, but I struggled with solid, dense Protein for awhile.

My recommendation is when you introduce a new food only do it one food at a time. You may find some things just don't work. If you try too many different things at once and don't tolerate something, it may prove difficult to identify what caused the sleeve to be upset. I only tried one new food type per day.

Don't get too discouraged if something doesn't settle. Just put it on the list to try later. Some things I tried early out didn't work for a couple of month, and then I would try them again with success.

Good luck, take it slow, and enjoy.

So you are basically saying you can eat regular stuff (chewing multiple times) and in way smaller amounts than before. Does it ever get easier to not have to chew so much your food since you already had your year anniversary? Also, do you ever feel satisfied now after a year? I know that now I eat and it feels like I didn't and I never have that full feeling like before only that uncomfortable gas feeling for a short time and then its over. Did it take you a lot to get use to not serving yourself the same as before, God can't tell you the times I grab something to eat pour into a bowl and realize that I was only able to eat 3 to 4 tablespoons of it.

I only tried one new food type per day.

Don't get too discouraged if something doesn't settle. Just put it on the list to try later. Some things I tried early out didn't work for a couple of month, and then I would try them again with success.

Thats a good tip - thanks Tiff - I'll tuck that one away for the future.....:biggrin0:

Kathy

So you are basically saying you can eat regular stuff (chewing multiple times) and in way smaller amounts than before. Does it ever get easier to not have to chew so much your food since you already had your year anniversary? Also, do you ever feel satisfied now after a year? I know that now I eat and it feels like I didn't and I never have that full feeling like before only that uncomfortable gas feeling for a short time and then its over. Did it take you a lot to get use to not serving yourself the same as before, God can't tell you the times I grab something to eat pour into a bowl and realize that I was only able to eat 3 to 4 tablespoons of it.

I eat like any other normal person does, and have for months. I no longer take tiny bites. I eat the same amounts that I've been eating for the last few months. The only difference is that I have to eat more meals per day to maintain my weight. If I were to stick to the sleeve rules, I'd continue to lose. I've tested this theory a couple of times by eating my 4 meals with no more than 1000 calories, no more than 40gr of carbs, and I always lose 2-4 pounds. My steak is cut up into normal bites, and I chew them regularly, no longer to mush. I do still eat slowly, but that's because I feel like I don't eat much, and I still love food. I'm not hungry, but food still tastes amazing.

That feeling you're explaining is your full signal pretty much. I don't know how fast you are eating, but try stretching your meal out over 20 minutes even if it means waiting 2-4 minutes in between bites this will help avoid that gassy, pressure. Also, early out I realized if I ate and talked a lot during my meal, I had that uncomfortable feeling.

I really didn't have the problem of over-serving myself. The reason I didn't experience that is because I measured my portions. It happens occasionally now, but I can eyeball my portions and be pretty dead on with what I can and can't eat in one sitting.

Everything you are experiencing is normal, and it gets better every month. By my 6th month post-op, life was fairly normal. I still had some trial and error, but for the most part, I think things have been pretty smooth sailing for the last few months.

I tried the softer meats first.

I remember eating some very tender bbq pork as one of my 1st

solid meats.< /strong>

I always eye balled my portions according to how much mushie foods I could eat. I can look at a portion and picture if it will fit into the measuring device I used. I always stopped before I felt full because I learned pretty early on that if I ate until I felt full, I would be way too full in 20 min. It's a very uncomfortable feeling when you are too full.

I also stuck with mushie foods longer than I was supposed to because it was hard at first to learn to eat solids. I ate a few bites of solids every day, but ate the mushie foods the remainder of the day. It's a learning process!

thanks for your words of wisdom, you are totally right it is a learning process but glad to hear you feel somewhat normal after a few months. I haven't even tried to go to a restaurant with my girls and wondered what I would even order if I did. Thanks again, and great job on all the weight you've lost!