Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally got the money together for this whole thing (or at least got the house refinance paperwork signed off and I'm expecting the check on Tuesday). I'll be sending off the fees for the surgery and all later this week. And now I'm antsy. It's suddenly hit me that I'm actually going to get surgery, and on the one hand, I can't wait to start losing weight, and on the other hand, I'm in this place where I think, "It's nonsense, I'm going to not lose a pound," or I'll gain it all back in a month anyhow."

Not terribly rational, I suppose, but when I can't actually be doing something, I get stir-crazy. And right now, I just have to sit on my keister until I get the cashier's check delivered on Tuesday, then turn around and get another one to actually make the payment and schedule the surgery.

General anesthesia scares the crap out of me. I intend to counter that by insisting that I'm sedated 'way the back side of beyond, beforehand. I get grouchy when I'm nervous. I get grouchy when I'm tense. My poor husband is getting the brunt of it, and I'm fluctuating between feeling irritable that I'm going to have to shop for a whole new wardrobe, and trying to decide if I should just shop at Goodwill initially. How stupid is that?

It's ok to be nervous and you are gonna do fine, it's kinda surreal after wanting it so long and wham it's here. Use the time to get organized,make your broth, I made a few casseroles for the first week home. shop for a few sizes at Goodwill. I went to a major retail dept store and bought new jeans and 2 pairs capri's and now they come off without unzipping and it's only been 6 weeks so I know I'm going to resale shops for next size. Good Luck. I've had surgeries and this one was the easiest.:)

I finally got the money together for this whole thing (or at least got the house refinance paperwork signed off and I'm expecting the check on Tuesday). I'll be sending off the fees for the surgery and all later this week. And now I'm antsy. It's suddenly hit me that I'm actually going to get surgery, and on the one hand, I can't wait to start losing weight, and on the other hand, I'm in this place where I think, "It's nonsense, I'm going to not lose a pound," or I'll gain it all back in a month anyhow."

Not terribly rational, I suppose, but when I can't actually be doing something, I get stir-crazy. And right now, I just have to sit on my keister until I get the cashier's check delivered on Tuesday, then turn around and get another one to actually make the payment and schedule the surgery.

General anesthesia scares the crap out of me. I intend to counter that by insisting that I'm sedated 'way the back side of beyond, beforehand. I get grouchy when I'm nervous. I get grouchy when I'm tense. My poor husband is getting the brunt of it, and I'm fluctuating between feeling irritable that I'm going to have to shop for a whole new wardrobe, and trying to decide if I should just shop at Goodwill initially. How stupid is that?

Wow, I could have written this post three months ago! Self pay, refinanced my house, was sure that the surgery would work for everyone but me and scared of the anesthesia more than anything else! Looking back I agree with Cwalker, I have had some surgery and this one was a breeze. I am so happy with my sleeve, relax and enjoy!

If you were not nervous then I would be worried. Take it easy and everything will be over before you know it.

This all sounds totally familiar and totally expected. I over analyze everything and I keep playing over all aspects of it in my head. I have about 12 days till surgery and I am picking apart the same things as you lol. I wish I could just go with the flow more. I mean I haven't lost a pound yet but I am still wondering about clothing etc. I like to say I just like to be prepared but I am a control freak I will admit it.

That said surgery is a big step physically and emotionally along with it being financiallly significant in your case as well as mine. Just try to stay calm and talk things out it will work out great and your going to be a great success. Now if I could only take my own advice! heheh

Though I did manage to justify the cost to myself by assuming that I will be eating a whole lot less and in the long run I will save the money I spent on surgery by eating less :)

Wow, I could have written this post three months ago! Self pay, refinanced my house, was sure that the surgery would work for everyone but me and scared of the anesthesia more than anything else! Looking back I agree with Cwalker, I have had some surgery and this one was a breeze. I am so happy with my sleeve, relax and enjoy!

Wow, that's actually funny! Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I'm feeling less antsy (at least for today) just from your responses. And yeah, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to initially buy from places like Goodwill. I've got to get used to the whole idea that "shopping for clothing isn't a bad thing and a headache and massive chore and something to be dreaded" for the first time in many, many years. And that's a GOOD thing. :)

Thanks again.

It's ok to be nervous and you are gonna do fine, it's kinda surreal after wanting it so long and wham it's here. Use the time to get organized,make your broth, I made a few casseroles for the first week home. shop for a few sizes at Goodwill. I went to a major retail dept store and bought new jeans and 2 pairs capri's and now they come off without unzipping and it's only been 6 weeks so I know I'm going to resale shops for next size. Good Luck. I've had surgeries and this one was the easiest.:thumbup:

Oh yeah, the liquid pre-op and post-op diet...that's going to be interesting, at least beforehand. My husband's started joking that he's going to ask the doctor for a prescription of Ativan and take it religiously until the minute I go under the anesthesia, just so he doesn't go barking mad.

I'm already stocking up on things like Crystal Light (every flavor I've ever liked), and sugarless Jello, and thinking up ways to make chicken broth taste interesting (if I cook it with onions and garlic and other veggies and then strain out the chunks is that okay?) and so on. I live in an area that gets oven-hot starting about this time of year and lasting through about mid-September. I've discovered that frozen Crystal Light makes really good popsicles. Jello works okay too, if you don't mind it being a little slimy on the outside. :001_tongue: 'Course I'm probably reinventing the wheel, here.

This all sounds totally familiar and totally expected. I over analyze everything and I keep playing over all aspects of it in my head. I have about 12 days till surgery and I am picking apart the same things as you lol. I wish I could just go with the flow more. I mean I haven't lost a pound yet but I am still wondering about clothing etc. I like to say I just like to be prepared but I am a control freak I will admit it.

That said surgery is a big step physically and emotionally along with it being financiallly significant in your case as well as mine. Just try to stay calm and talk things out it will work out great and your going to be a great success. Now if I could only take my own advice! heheh

Though I did manage to justify the cost to myself by assuming that I will be eating a whole lot less and in the long run I will save the money I spent on surgery by eating less :)

:001_tongue::biggrin0::drool: Will you be my OCD buddy, please? :thumbup::biggrin0::drool: I'm so bad that I'm to the point of making lists of lists!

Oddly enough, the financial aspect of it all isn't what's making me nervous. Honestly, the things bugging me the most are the really stupid things like the clothing issue. And it's not even relevant yet. Eesh. I need to get a short-term hobby to keep me busy before I start barking at the moon.

Hi

Well I am certainly glad to hear I am not the only one! I am 5 days out. I was feeling just like you. I had some weird panic attacks a couple of weeks prior but it went away. I had all the same concerns. Just to give you a piece of mind, you get a relaxing cocktail, as they put it, just before you go in the surgery room. They weren't kidding. Didn't remember a thing until I woke up. I also was worried about new wardrobe, people asking me too much how I lost it, etc. But right now I am 18 lbs down, including the liquid stage before surgery and I could care less about all those worries I had. I thank my husband for being so supportive. Especially in our economic time in our home. Relax, it is no picnic, but worth every step of the way for me so far.

Thanks for the reassuring posts, everyone. I'm getting my sleeve in 2 weeks and the closer it gets the more I'm going to be sh*ting a brick. I'm an RN and know way too much about all the little details and possibilities and hope I won't be the world's worst patient! I hope the pre-op coctail is a double!!

relax, everything will be fine.....take things one step at a time and you'll see that we patience evertything will start falling into place. take a deep breath.

I think what you are going thru is only natural.....but at least the surgery is relatively short compared to others, and I think you just have to have faith in the tool they will be providing you with. I went thru all the same thoughts about I'll be the one person it doesn't work for etc.... like many others I bet.

Focus on other things instead - try on your whole wardrobe and get rid of anything too big..... you'll not be needing them.

I have a shedload of clothes which fitted me on the way up, or I bought thinking they would fit me from 2nd hand shops (and they don't!)...... so I tried them all one again, got rid of any BAD decisions, and kept the ones I still liked.

I went thru the kitchen and found it quite therapeutic going thru everything..... stripping out the 'bad' foods....

Good luck - let us know when you get your date, we're here for you!!

Kathy

Oh I soooo understand. I was just sleeved with Dr. Aceves last week and right up until they were pushing the medication in in the OR I wondered if I'd wake up. And of course I did :-). It was my 8th abdominal surgery so I've gone through that fear with each surgery except for the c-section because I was still awake. I actually get so scared that I write a "just in case" letter to my family. So I'm kinda way over the top when it comes to anesthesia fear.

It all went well though. I had a spinal too which was amazing - never once felt pain in the entire week since the surgery. And I'm not hungry either which has made the liquid diet far easier than I'd imagined.

Congratulations on your plan, you'll be happy you did it. And when you wake up in the recovery room you'll be just like me, wondering why you were so worried.

Britt

OK, I really need to remember to read these posts daily. It really helps with my worries, and my surgery isn't until August 2nd :001_cool: Thank you all for your posts, it really does ease my mind!

Heehee, I'm totally looking forward to spending next to nothing on groceries, leaving the store with one little bag! I can hardly imagine a single tin of tuna lasting me two or three meals. I'm single so I only have to buy for myself and I'm trying to imagine the groceries for a week during liquid stage consisting of a quart of chicken broth and various packets of Protein powders. Maybe I'll start storing other things in my vacant cupboards, like shoes in their boxes and hand weights. :)