Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleeves!!

Guest Stephanie

I'm packing a new nightgown and robe that I bought online at WomanWithin. (Hopefully they won't fit for very long but it's nice to have something new to walk the halls) Basic toiletries, lip balm, cell phone and something to read.

So I had my pre-op appointments today at the hospital and my surgeon's office. I also started my pre-op diet today! Talk about being excited and a little scared at the same time!! Reality is setting in and it feels pretty good!

I also made a list of things that I can do to occupy my time over the next couple of weeks during the liquid diet when I feel hungry or just anxious. They include exercising, listening to music, reading and a variety of projects around the house. Oh, and my full time job!:sad0:

Hi All, I just got my surgery date it is Aug 24th at Northridge hospital by Dr Lyass, excited and scared.

Nancy

So I'm flying to Mexicali at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Decided to go ahead and tell my mother. She knew I was considering the surgery, but not that I was actually having it done this coming Monday. She was very worried, of course - spent about 20 mins on the phone trying to convince me not to go. Of course, she hasn't done the research I've been doing for the last 2 months, so I can understand where she's coming from ("just eat less," "you are subjecting yourself to a risk of dying for something that will not benefit you at all," "you should give yourself the gift of NOT doing this to your body," etc). Of all the people who know about my surgery, I'm the one who's least worried, haha. Spending the day hanging out with my friends - I was out of town for 6 weeks, so it'll be nice to catch up with them - and running errands for surgery. Picked up my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury order from the post office today, now heading to the pet store to make sure my cats and fish have everything they need for the next 2 weeks, lest I don't feel like going anywhere for the first few days after I'm back. I've told my boyfriend (who's out of the country) to ask his grandmother to continue feeding the cats if I'm delayed in coming back. EDIT: just weighed myself and I gained 3 lbs while I was away. The good thing is that I've got all the chocolate and ice cream out of my system. I have a few Kit Kat bars in the house and I feel nauseous at the thought of eating them.

Not really worried now....bummed out about having to wake up at 4 am, but excited to meet new friends in Mexicali. I'll make sure to introduce other folks to this board if they don't already know about it, I think it's a wonderful resource!

Edited by BlackBerryJuice

OMG, my mother completely betrayed me....called my father (who I'm NOT on good terms with and who's emotionally abused me about my weight since I was probably 6), even though I TOLD her I wasn't going to tell him until next year at the earliest - we don't live close, so they'd never know unless I told them. And she knows that nothing good EVER comes out when he gets involved! Anyway, he called me and raised hell. Eventually hung up on me when I said I'm not going to change my mind. I was supposed to be sleeping now considering I have to be up and driving in 6 hours, but now I'm sitting here beating myself up for being an idiot who thought I could trust my mother with something personal. I wasn't going to tell them, now I guess I have to reap the fruits of my stupidity.

OMG, my mother completely betrayed me....called my father (who I'm NOT on good terms with and who's emotionally abused me about my weight since I was probably 6), even though I TOLD her I wasn't going to tell him until next year at the earliest - we don't live close, so they'd never know unless I told them. And she knows that nothing good EVER comes out when he gets involved! Anyway, he called me and raised hell. Eventually hung up on me when I said I'm not going to change my mind. I was supposed to be sleeping now considering I have to be up and driving in 6 hours, but now I'm sitting here beating myself up for being an idiot who thought I could trust my mother with something personal. I wasn't going to tell them, now I guess I have to reap the fruits of my stupidity.

I am so sorry this is happening to you on the eve of the big day. Just know, know, know that you are doing what is best for you! No one else can know what that is, so their opinions basically don't matter, (I know it's hard when its your parents), but they have no right to mess with your head. That is just cruel.

The rest of us here on VST are with you 100%! Try to get some rest and just focus on going forward, nothing else matters right at this moment.

Wishing you the best! Keep us posted.

Thanks, girl....I'm also developing a major sore throat and feeling feverish (although sitting at 37.3 so far, thankfully). Terrible timing! I hope I don't wake up with a fever tomorrow. It's too late to contact the Dr. now, I'd hate to have to cancel my flight and lose the $1100, not really in a financial position to do that. What a day, bah.

Goodness gracious, my mother just called me, and it's 2:15 am here! It's a good thing (? lol) I'm not sleeping, anyway, thanks to the stress of dealing with them earlier and having a really sore throat - decided to just pull an all-nighter and try to nap a bit on the plane.

I wish I had gone to bed at like 8, then I could've taken my sleeping pills - but they work for 8 hours solid, so now it's too late.

Sorry to everyone who's not interested yet keeps getting e-mail updates - just need a place to vent and all my friends are sleeping, so I'm limited to venting over the board for now.

Don't worry about your parents, I know it is hard not to. My dad finally came to the conclusion that I need the help of WLS to become healthy, but even if he did not I would do what I want to do. You are an adult, and you have the right to make these decissions for yourself. My dad also was very verbally abusive about my weight as a child the thing was I was not overweight at all. He called me LB (Lard butt), my whole childhood, and made other comments all the time that he actually gave me a complex as a child, so I understand. You go have your surgery don't you worry about anyone, but yourself. You are doing the right thing, sure there are risks, but there are risks when you walk down the street, drive, or if you are like me I'm a walking time bomb for a heart attack everyday. By now you are probably on the plane, so good luck, and I hope you start to feel better. Let us know how everything goes. Keep your spirits up, you are going to need it for your surgery.

Thanks, Lisa. I'm here now, done all my pre-op testing, just waiting for an hour or so to pop my Ativan and go to bed. My cold is not getting any better (the fact that I haven't slept for 36 hours from the stress of dealing with my parents isn't helping, I'm sure). I'm worried that I might need to delay my surgery since it's a risk for pneumonia with the intubation and all. I did pop the antibiotic they gave me, but it feels like a viral infection, so I don't think the antibiotic will help me. I'm meeting with the doctors tomorrow and they will decide whether they can operate or I should wait.

On top of it all, my mother forwarded all the information about the hospital and Dr. Aceves that I had given to her for her peace of mind to my father, who now plans to fly here (!!!) from Europe. I really hope that I can get my surgery done tomorrow so that if he DOES end up getting here, it's all over with and I've at least had the surgery. He's not coming here to support me through the surgery, but rather to make sure I don't get it. I'm really worried, so I hope my cold is better tomorrow and the anesthesiologist OKs the operation. Otherwise, every day I spend here increases the likelihood of my father getting here and ruining everything.

BBJ,

Gosh, I'm so sorry you have this pressure surrounding this event. I can't think of anything to say to make things feel better for you. But your story makes me think I did the right thing by not telling my mom, cuz I think she would have just as strong feelings/opinions as yours did.

I do think that once this is all over, your family will 'see' that you made the right decision for yourself. But getting thru this will be hard and I'm sorry you have to deal with that, you should only have to focus on yourself and your health.

Take Care,

So I'm flying to Mexicali at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Decided to go ahead and tell my mother. She knew I was considering the surgery, but not that I was actually having it done this coming Monday. She was very worried, of course - spent about 20 mins on the phone trying to convince me not to go. Of course, she hasn't done the research I've been doing for the last 2 months, so I can understand where she's coming from ("just eat less," "you are subjecting yourself to a risk of dying for something that will not benefit you at all," "you should give yourself the gift of NOT doing this to your body," etc). Of all the people who know about my surgery, I'm the one who's least worried, haha. Spending the day hanging out with my friends - I was out of town for 6 weeks, so it'll be nice to catch up with them - and running errands for surgery. Picked up my unjury order from the post office today, now heading to the pet store to make sure my cats and fish have everything they need for the next 2 weeks, lest I don't feel like going anywhere for the first few days after I'm back. I've told my boyfriend (who's out of the country) to ask his grandmother to continue feeding the cats if I'm delayed in coming back. EDIT: just weighed myself and I gained 3 lbs while I was away. The good thing is that I've got all the chocolate and ice cream out of my system. I have a few Kit Kat bars in the house and I feel nauseous at the thought of eating them.

Not really worried now....bummed out about having to wake up at 4 am, but excited to meet new friends in Mexicali. I'll make sure to introduce other folks to this board if they don't already know about it, I think it's a wonderful resource!

Be safe! Prayers and blessings to you:thumbup:

Thanks, Lisa. I'm here now, done all my pre-op testing, just waiting for an hour or so to pop my Ativan and go to bed. My cold is not getting any better (the fact that I haven't slept for 36 hours from the stress of dealing with my parents isn't helping, I'm sure). I'm worried that I might need to delay my surgery since it's a risk for pneumonia with the intubation and all. I did pop the antibiotic they gave me, but it feels like a viral infection, so I don't think the antibiotic will help me. I'm meeting with the doctors tomorrow and they will decide whether they can operate or I should wait.

On top of it all, my mother forwarded all the information about the hospital and Dr. Aceves that I had given to her for her peace of mind to my father, who now plans to fly here (!!!) from Europe. I really hope that I can get my surgery done tomorrow so that if he DOES end up getting here, it's all over with and I've at least had the surgery. He's not coming here to support me through the surgery, but rather to make sure I don't get it. I'm really worried, so I hope my cold is better tomorrow and the anesthesiologist OKs the operation. Otherwise, every day I spend here increases the likelihood of my father getting here and ruining everything.

Blackberryjuice

You stay strong, and don't worry about your dad. You need that energy to get better. I would take it you are an adult correct, so even if your dad shows up there you stick up for yourself, and do what you want, not what he wants. I know it is very hard for you I could not even imagine having to go through that. I'm so so sorry. It is stressful enough just to go through the surgery, but to have to deal with being sick, and then your dad too. You just remember this is for you not him, it is your body, and you need to make this decission for yourself, which you already have. Stay strong girl, we are all here for you. Work on getting rid of that virus, okay. Please keep us posted, and you are in my thoughts and prayers.