Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I noticed a few July folks posting on other threads and thought there might be enough of us to start our own thread (rather than hijacking whatever threads we find with a July surgery in them) - so I invite anyone with a July surgery to post their story here so we can support each other and share our experiences.

I'm C and my surgery is scheduled with Dr. Aceves on 15 July. I'm 29 and married to an Army man - we're currently stationed in Germany. We have two year old boy/girl twins. I'm choosing to self-pay because Tricare does not currently cover VSG and none of the overseas military facilities do the procedure at this time. To complicate matters, our next assignment is (as of right now) in Yerevan, Armenia. Getting this surgery in a remote location like Armenia isn't even a possibility. I'm not willing to wait more than two more years for this surgery.

I started my research in the summer of 2008 when my doctor diagnosed me with Type II (I developed gestational diabetes with my twin pregnancy and it stuck around afterward) and suggested the band. After much research I decided the sleeve best suits my needs.

I'm 5'1" (and some change), 240 pounds and I would be happy with any weight under 160 pounds. I haven't weighed less than that in more than ten years and I have been plus-sized since high school.

Please, hop in and share your own stories so I can share this journey with others instead of doing it alone! If I am successful my mom would like to have the surgery, too, but she's very nervous because she has never had surgery before.

~C

Hi C!

I am July 15th too! We are Sleeve sisters!

YaaaaaY!! I am scheduled for July 15th with Dr. Reyes, and I am so excited I can hardly stand it!! I am 42, 5'6" and weigh 290 (how did I let that happen????). My insurance won't pay for it either - so disappointing. So I am going to pay for it myself as well. I was going to get the band, but was feeling a little aprehensive about having something left inside me, especially since I knew my insurance would probably have nothing to do with it if I had any problems. Then I found out about the sleeve and I knew it was what I wanted. I am going to Mexico for mine, it's the only way I can afford to do it. I am so looking forward to this so please don't post negatives on here about going to Mexico - I need positive right now. I want to feel better and I want to get my life back.

Kathy

I'm another July sleever, I'm scheduled for July 1 with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. I'll be travelling alone for my surgery, which I think will be the best thing for me. I'm 33, 5'8", and weigh about 280 (I agree, Kathy, how did I let this happen??). I have a 16 year old foster daughter, she has a 17 month old baby boy that I have guardianship of, and I just want to have the energy to run around and play with him, to not creak and pop when I get up off the floor from playing with him, and I'd also like to wear cuter clothes.

Strangely, I'm not the least bit nervous or apprehensive about this surgery. I feel like it will change my life for the better, and I can't wait! I saw my family doctor yesterday, and he supports this 100%, which eased my mind even more.

I look forward to following everyone's stories on here, and will be here to support you all as best I can through a keyboard!

Allison

Allison - I am a nurse too!! I am also traveling to Mexico alone. I saw the other day on another thread where people listed what they were most looking forward to after they lost weight - it was fun to read so I decided to list a few of the things I am looking forward to - would be love to know everyone else's.......

*feeling beter

*not feeling so tired all the time

*going into a store and not being ignored

*tucking in my shirt

*wearing a belt

*being able to paint my toenails easier

*never giving away my Tim McGraw/Lady Antebellum tickets again because I know I will be to out of breath walking from my car to my seat.

*walking by my reflection in a window/mirror and not feeling sad

I love this forum - and am stoked to have people to sound off on.

My surgery is July 14th with Dr. Helbling in Bismarck, North Dakota. BCBS is paying for all but $500 of it. My blood work and physical for the medical clearance is June 15th, and I see a pulmonlogist June 18th. Hopefully this all goes to schedule and nothing gets delayed. I've already bought my baby silverware, tiny bowls, Protein Drinks, tiny cups, and 2 oz ice cube trays for freezing purees. I am so ready for this. I start my pre-op diet July 1st.

Some things I'm looking forward to:

~being able to cross my legs comfortably

~being able to shop wherever I want and buy clothes off the rack

~not being able to eat fast food in large quantities

I'm sure I'll come up with more :001_tongue: Donna, I never thought about buying tiny bowls and 2oz ice cube trays. What sorts of things are you planning on freezing in them? And have you taste-tested the Protein drinks yet? What kind did you get?

I'm so ready for this, too!! I start my pre-op diet on June 24, and I can't wait!

Hi Ally-

The 2 oz cubes are for my puree phase--i'll put whatever I puree, or strained cream Soups since there's no way I can eat a whole can. I plan to freeze, and defrost 2 cubes in the microwave when I want "real food" quickly.

I got 2 containers of Isopure zero carb/sugar 32 gram Protein powder. It mixes with Water really well-no lumps. I got vanilla (I figured I could buy sugar free syrups like they use at Starbucks to change the flavor) and banana Creme. I've heard some people say they don't like Isopure, but I thought it was fine. I guess it's a matter of taste.

I also bought Centrum chewable multi-Vitamin and chewable Calcium, and sublingual B12. I don't want to have to crush pills.

I have other Protein stuff that I haven't tried yet, so I won't post about that. I'm most excited about a high protein powdered chicken Soup for my clear liquid phase. The little bowls are great--they're for toddlers and come with plastic lids--I found them on Amazon along with my 4 oz cups.

Once you start googling you find all kinds of stuff--I just ordered some carb-free Fiber pasta! It's from Japan originally. I was so happy about that. I think the site is miraclenoodle.com.

I'm a foodie, so I'm really planning to enjoy my meals and get my protein in, even if it is mush lol.

Donna

OK - I added a picture to my profile but for some reason, it doesn't show up when I post things - anyone know what I need to do? Also, if you make a weightloss ticker, do you paste it in the signature section?

I am a little apprehensive about the preop phase - I have to be on Clear liquids for 10 days prior to surgery and it happens that I will be working 5 of those days. I work in a busy ER, and I am scared that I will feel shaky or weak at work. It's weird how much difference there can be from one dr to the next as far as preop goes. I have read everything from Clear Liquids to full liquids to one lean cuisine type meal a day to no preop diet at all. Weird. I'm not planning to cheat, I want this so bad that there is no way I am going to screw it up, maybe after all these years of stuffing my face, I am just starting to panic a little about losing my food lol

I am scheduled to have my surgery on 2-July in Thailand. I have been living and working here for 12 yrs in July. I am 53 yrs old, 5' 11", and weight 295 lbs. I am looking forward to this, but also am starting to get nervous and thinking about it. I just had a friend that had the sleeve done on 3-June and he has been emailing me to let me know how things went. He said it was a cake walk, lol.

After I have the surgery, I will enjoy:

- being able to buy things off the rack that look nice

- improving my golf game due to lesser weight

- keeping my health in line

- just being able to do more things, which will make me enjoy them more.

I am at work at the moment, so I will try and keep up with the July sleevers. I work a month on and a month off. It won't be long before we come loser in a good way.

Donnie

So...what is everyone packing to take with them? Since I am traveling so far, I want to keep it light. I arriving in Tijuana on July 14th, having surgery the 15th, then traveling back home on the 16th. Would like to keep everything to a carry-on if I can. Any thoughts on this?

Kathy, since I'm going alone, I'm also going to try to pack very light. I know I'll be taking a sundress and some leggings (stretchy, loose, & comfortable!) for the plane ride home. I'm taking my laptop and some of my favorite DVD's, a book or two, my iphone with headphones...come to think of it, I may actually wear the same clothes going down and coming home. One less outfit to pack. They suggested I bring comfy pajamas and some non-skid houseshoes or slippers for my stay in the hospital...other than that, I can't think of anything else I'll need other than Shampoo and stuff.

What do you think? What are you planning on taking?

I,m july also waiting for actual date, very excited to start my weight loss journey. Good luck and god bless all of you

Ally -

Too bad we aren't going to the same surgeon, would love to get to meet you! I am thinking I will wear the same thing traveling both ways, I guess I will just bring some pajamas and slippers or flip flops. I will definately take my iPod. I had thought about bringing my laptop, but they have a computer you can use there and I have read where a few people brought theirs and then never used them - one less thing to haul around. My patient coordinator is super nice, she said that she will call my kids when I go in to surgery and then again when I get done so they know I did okay. She told me they also have a cell phone I can use while there to either text or call home and check in.

My trip is supposed to go like this: fly to San Diego where a van driver will pick me up and take me across that border (lol that sounds so weird) to my hotel. I will spend the night there and then be picked up early the next morning, taken to the surgical center - do all the preop stuff - walk into the surgery room - procedure takes about 45 min - back to recovery, then will be taken to the recovery house to spend the night and the driver will take me back across the border to the San Diego airport the next day. My patient coordinator told me that most of the people who do this feel well enough that she always takes a group shopping in TJ the afternoon after their surgery! That is so hard to believe!!!

Being a nurse, I had to ask all the pro and con questions, I asked her what would happen if something went wrong during surgery....she said that we would be 10 minutes from a big hospital in TJ or just 20 min from a big hospital in San Diego and I would be taken there. She also said that this surgeon has never had to transport one patient in all of the surgeries he has done. All I can do is trust so I will. :wink1:

Funny how its only a little over a month away, but I want this so bad it seems like time is standing still!!! :001_tt2: