Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery And Not Happy

Guest NiceGirl

Guest NiceGirl

I'm here to vent.

It's been 1 month today and I feel like pooh. I have become lactose intolerant, I have heartburn from hell, and I have only lost 18 pounds!

As sick as I am and as little as I eat, I should have lost at least 30 pounds by now. So here I am a fat person who can't eat. Is that an oxymoron or what??

I'm so weak from lack of food that I sleep almost all the time. The only time I am awake is when I have to go to work, and luckily I only work part-time-otherwise I don't even think I would have the energy to do that.

My new tummy is sore most of the time and to top it all off...I'm actuallty having more powerful hunger pangs than before my surgery. I feel like I got the majorly short end of the stick on this whole thing. Wish I could go back in time and forget I ever heard of VSG.

I know it's hard, but give it some time. Your body is reacting to all the stress it's been under. You had MAJOR surgery. Those 18 pounds are really good in a month - when have you ever lost 18 pounds in a month before?

As far as the heartburn, has your doctor prescribed anything? If not, you should really ask for something to take. It should also help with those "hunger pangs".

Keep your chin up. The first few weeks are the WORST ... it does get a lot better. I promise!

I agree with MINI. You just had a MAJOR ORGAN removed. It's not surprising you're tired and short on energy. Most of us went through the same thing with, I'm sure, a few exceptions. You have to give your body time to catch up. One day your tummy was there and the next it wasn't - that's a pretty big deal. And 18 pounds in a month is awesome. I agree that you need to ask your doctor about prescribing a PPI - I went through the hunger pangs phase too, and the PPI really helped. It's definitely a learning curve, but you'll get through this. It gets better, I promise. You just have to give it a chance. I'm sorry you had the unfortunate luck of becoming lactose intolerant. That must really be the pits. :sad0: I luckily haven't had to deal with that.

Keep your chin up, and don't give up on your sleeve! You knew it wasn't going to be an overnight fix coming into the surgery, so just relax and give it some time to work for you. Things WILL get better. :confused:

Please just try to follow the protocol of staying hydrated and getting in as much Protein as you can. . Also walk or do some form of excercise. It's good that you have a part time job to distract you somewhat. I agree that if you are not taking a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) (acid blocker), maybe you should speak to your surgeon or PCP about it. I take Aciphex and do not have any side effects of which I am aware. You have lost a significant amount of weight in 4 weeks time. Keep coming back and posting so you can get the support you need as you progress. I wish you peace and wellness in your WL journey.

One more thing ... when I was researching the surgery, my nutritionist warned me that I may become lactose intolerant. Luckily, I wasn't. BUT, she did say that most people who become lactose intolerant are usually just intolerant to straight milk products - you can usually have cheese and yogurt.

Have you tried Carbmaster Yogurt? It's 3 grams of carb, but has 12 grams of Protein. (I find it at Fred Meyers, but it is also available at Kroger and/or Albertsons.) It goes down super easy for me - I also mix in 1/2 scoop of "unflavored" Protein powder to get the Protein count up to 21g. YUMMY!

I'm so sorry. I am only a five weeks out and didn't start taking a ppi until a couple weeks ago and that has made a huge difference in the hunger pangs and heartburn. I really thought that once I was on regular foods I wouldn't need Protein Shakes but I still do and that makes loads of difference in my energy. The other thing that helps my energy is my Multivitamin. I have a really high quality one that is chock full of b-12 and I can tell a huge difference on the days I don't take it. I have also noticed in the last few days that the swelling of my tummy has finally started to change and I am able to eat a lot more normally. I think these first few months are rough and we just have to power through and get all our liquids and Protein in. 18 lbs is great and you will start feeling better soon. Hang in there and keep venting if you need to. We all have our days!

I'm sorry you are having these issues. It sounds like you aren't getting in enough calories, but I'm not sure what all you are eating. Try to get in more Protein, if you aren't on a PPI like Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, definitely talk to your surgeon. You do not want to let the acid keep overproducing because your stomach tissue is so sensitive right now. Plus, acid can cause hunger issues. If you can't get to your surgeon, get some Prilosec or Prevacid over-the-counter and start taking something. If you are on a PPI, then you may need to have your prescription changed. Some people are put on Pepcid and it's not enough for them.

18lbs in a month is not bad at all that's over 4lbs a week, when have you ever been able to lose 18lbs in a month?

It's essential for you to get in your calories, Protein and Water goals. Please don't give up there can be a solution.

The first couple of months are the most difficult. But, we're here to help you. Give us some more information. Plus, if you don't have any energy, you definitely aren't getting in enough of something if you are having to sleep a bunch.

Please give us an idea on where you are on the post-op diet, and what phase you are on. What are you consuming throughout the day?

In addition to the acid blocker, I also take a sublingual B-12 tablet EVERY day to help my energy level. These are super-cheap at Wal-Mart and taste really good. So get some ASAP if you're not already taking them. Also, the more you are inactive, the worse you will feel. You really do need to get up and around, even if it's just walking around the mall or something. If the weather is nice, try to go outside and take a stroll. The fresh air will also help you feel better to.

I agree that you may not be getting ENOUGH food in. 18 pounds in a month is super, but our bodies will hold onto fat with a vengance if it thinks we are starving it. We've all said it - but keeping up with your Protein needs will help jump start that metabolism back up.

Please talk to your doctor about your stomach pain. I had my gall bladder removed, lapband removed, VSG and hernia repair all at the same time and only hurt for a few days. So a month post-op is a little long to be hurting. Of course, if you're not on an acid reducer that could be the cause. Let us know how you're doing.

Hi NiceGirl,

If you are feeling weak, I doubt you're getting enough nutrients. Like everyone else said, get something to reduce the stomach acid. If one doesn't work, ask for a different one. There are lots of Protein powders and ready mixed drinks out there that do not contain lactose and their are also milks that are lactose free. So, fortunately, in 2010, they are making a lot of lactose intolerant products.

Walking everyday will improve your mood and energy levels and carry a Water bottle with you when you go and listen to some good motivating music. Some exercise will also preserve your muscle mass. The body will lose muscle mass before fat if we don't get in enough Protein.< /p>

B-12 and/or B Complex - There are sublingual tablets and I personally like the gummies (red raspberry flaver from CVS...taste like Gummy bears...small, easy to chew, and you can take more than one if you an energy boost). I've also seen sublingual liquids in a dropper that you hold under your tongue for 30 seconds and swallow. Wal Mart, CVS and GNC carries the liquid.

Are you becoming dehydrated? make sure you get in enough liquids and protein to keep up your energy. If you are feeling this bad at a month out, you might want to schedule some blood work to see if something else isn't going on and to make sure your nutrient levels are adequate.

Don't compare your weight loss to others. I'm sure you already know this and it's hard to do. I choose not to weigh myself daily. I don't keep a scale in my house. That way, I don't focus on pounds.

How's your blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes? Were you on any meds? Have you been able to come off of any? (other than acid reducers)

Hang in there; you are losing more than the recommended 2-3 lbs a week.

First i have heard about the lactose intollerance issue. Explains why I have problems driking milk when I thought it would be soothing. Good to know.

Nice Girl, you sound really frustrated but things will improve. Give it time. Give yourself time to heal.

I'm here to vent.

It's been 1 month today and I feel like pooh. I have become lactose intolerant, I have heartburn from hell, and I have only lost 18 pounds!

As sick as I am and as little as I eat, I should have lost at least 30 pounds by now. So here I am a fat person who can't eat. Is that an oxymoron or what??

I'm so weak from lack of food that I sleep almost all the time. The only time I am awake is when I have to go to work, and luckily I only work part-time-otherwise I don't even think I would have the energy to do that.

My new tummy is sore most of the time and to top it all off...I'm actuallty having more powerful hunger pangs than before my surgery. I feel like I got the majorly short end of the stick on this whole thing. Wish I could go back in time and forget I ever heard of VSG.

Yup, that is exactly what i said in the beginning too. . . i wished there would have been a trial thing or something you know "try before you buy". . but unfortunately there wasn't. . .take some prilosec or nexium or some sort of acid reducer for your heartburn. . eat more Proteins (yeah I know your sick of that) like cheese, tuna, fish, egg (might not agree with you) yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. . . keep only soft foods in your new tummy. . .the hunger pangs are really not good, have those all the time, but that is something the nexium or prilosec should help with a bit. . . then face the fact your literally stuck with this thing and do the best you can to accept it and live your life. . . this is the best advice i can give you. . .been there, done that. . i've dealt with it, and now i carry on having lost quite a bit over the past 4 1/2 months. . . would I do it again? probably not, but am i glad i did it? yes i am. . . good luck and keep us posted. . .

Edited by thinoneday

Guest NiceGirl

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all the support! You are all such blessings in my life at this moment.:wink0:

Everything you pointed out is valid and I am working on every bit of it. First thing I'm doing is changing my acid reducer (prevacid) because it is obviously not working for me:sad0:.

Thanks for giving me a boost and I promise to keep posting. Someday I hope to be able to encourage others the way all of you have encouraged me.

I'm so glad today feels better. The first stretch is rough, and it is frustrating sometimes when you feel like you are experiencing stuff that no one else has. Hang in there!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all the support! You are all such blessings in my life at this moment.:wink0:

Everything you pointed out is valid and I am working on every bit of it. First thing I'm doing is changing my acid reducer (prevacid) because it is obviously not working for me:sad0:.

Thanks for giving me a boost and I promise to keep posting. Someday I hope to be able to encourage others the way all of you have encouraged me.

You are welcome. We were all new here once too. And, we all have those down days... Come out for support or to give support whenever you need it.

Soy milk like Silk is great and has Protein content. Its a milk sub and it naturally cancells out some of the yucky acid. You can also do a little Mylanta. You may also be drinking juices with an acid content that is too high. My first week post-op, it was all about apple juice. Now, the apple juice is making my tummy bubble bubble toil and trouble with acid so I switched to cranberry and grape juice with some Water. To get in Protein, you can put even just a teaspoon into juices to mix it in. throw some unflavored whey into pudding, Soups, and drinks.

Keep in mind that you want to lose fat NOT muscle so you have to have protein. Throw in a quick 20 minute walk in the AM with a chewable Vitamin and it will come off.