Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am bummed out......

Today I went to see my back surgeon to schedule my back fusion. He wouln't do it until I lost 50 lbs. Now that I lost the weight, he commented on how great I looked, but that he cannot perform the surgery until I have lost most my weight, because a surgery right now wouldn't be healthy for me, and I would be supceptive to infection because my immune system is down due to the starving of the body that comes with this procedure. So I am fxxxxd. He says he will do in October, but I have been off work on disability for 5 months, and I know they will want to fire me if I don't get back to work by 6/15..........so, i have a lot of things to figure out.

:001_unsure:(

Thanks for listening.

There is a product called suplimed that is a high calorie shake with good balanced nutrition used to help support or gain weight for those with illness. Ask him if he would consider operating on you if you upped yourself to a maintenance calorie level before, during and just after the proceedure... It may not work, but I thought I would throw the idea out there.

The Weight Gain Supplement That's Your Sensible Weight Gain Solution

p.s. I use this product for my normal calorie days as I am experimenting with 3 day low cal,1 day normal calories to see if it will prevent stalls. It does taste good.

Great suggestion! I will try that. I have nothing to lose by not giving up. Thanks again.

There is a product called suplimed that is a high calorie shake with good balanced nutrition used to help support or gain weight for those with illness. Ask him if he would consider operating on you if you upped yourself to a maintenance calorie level before, during and just after the proceedure... It may not work, but I thought I would throw the idea out there.

p.s. I use this product for my normal calorie days as I am experimenting with 3 day low cal,1 day normal calories to see if it will prevent stalls. It does taste good.

Swiftflow, I sent an email to my doctor with the information you provided. I am curious as to how he will respond. I really appreciate your idea. It's given me hope. I have had this debilitating pain for a year now, and I want to get back on my feet again and live a normal semi-pain free life. Thanks again.

swiftflow... let us know how your experiment turns out. It would be great if we could prevent stalls. Also its probably healthier for our metabolisms if we can keep our calorie intake a little higher.

Immore, No problem, let us know what he says.

stcyt: I hope it does. The 3 on 1 off idea is an idea that has been out in the dieting world for a bit, but it is hard to do when normal dieting because of the hunger during the low days and the discipline etc. I thought using these shakes to do this while I have no hunger might be a good method to not fall into a low calorie slump that happens after going so long on 600-800 calories or less. Right now im doing 1800-2000 calories on my 1 off day.

My back surgeon responded back to me, with a terse "I would prefer to wait". I know he is looking out for my safety, but I will not give up. More to follow......

My back surgeon responded back to me, with a terse "I would prefer to wait". I know he is looking out for my safety, but I will not give up. More to follow......

I wouldn't push for the back surgery if your surgeon feels the timing is not optimal to insure your over all health. Things have a way of working out for the best and I'm sure they will work out for you with your job when the time comes for your back surgery. Your surgeon seems to really care and that's a good thing.

I think it sounds ridiculous. If you're starved to the point of malnutrition now (really? I doubt it) then how are you going to be any better off months down the track with continued weight loss? Surely you'll be MORE starved and malnourished. Because of course eating enough calories to maintain the bits of your body you actually need, whilst burning off a huge pile of extra fat you dont need is starvation!

Personally, such stupid logic from a doctor would have me looking for another doctor.

I hope you sort this, having back surgery is going to be difficult whenever you do it and if you're in pain, the sooner the better. Needing to get back to your job is a very valid reason to insist on now. I'd be rather insistent, to say the least.

I would also talk to your bariatric surgeon to see if you are so under-nurished that you can't have a needed surgery. I have seen them do surgery on many other patients before who would of been in far worse condition. You would have to increase your calories post op for good healing.

What by back surgeon said was he wanted to wait until my weight stabilized. but you bring up some good points. I will contact my bariatric surgeon and see what his opinion is on all of this. thanks again everyone for the great advice.