Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc explained the gas thing to me like this: because the gas is not actually in your stomach, bowels, etc., rather in your abdominal cavity. Your body has no way to "pass" the gas, your body simply absorbs it over time.

Really? Wonder how that actually happens? Where does it go once it is absorbed? I mean into your organs or what? And why isn't it harmful if it isn't eliminated and becomes part of your body? I'm amazed that we can just absorb something like that. Very interesting - I'd really like to understand this better. Especially since there is so much shoulder pain involved.

Weird question, since people keep mentioning the gas post-op. Since that's in your abdominal cavity (right?) and not your digestive tract... how does it... er... get out?

LOL everyone is different. Sometimes it comes out North, sometimes South.

VV2010 ~ glad you are doing well :cursing:

So it's eliminated eventually? But if that's so I wonder why girldep's doctor told her that it's absorbed? Inquiring minds need to know these things. :-)

I have had a couple of laproscopic procedures done, both my doc said the same , that your body absorbs it after a period of time. Never asked further than that because the pain left and I totally forgot about it:). All I know is it hurts when it gets into your shoulders!

So it's eliminated eventually? But if that's so I wonder why girldep's doctor told her that it's absorbed? Inquiring minds need to know these things. :-)

I dunno! lol

But the GasX strips helped alot! I have also had a few EGD's, an ERCP and other lap surgery. They always told me that passing gas or burping was normal.

Well either way, sounds like it's just part of the deal and we can survive it. Guess I'll invest in some GasX this time around.

pnw, is your bottom ticker to keep track of the months? Do you expect to reach goal in 6 months? That would be simply amazing.

Yes, we definitely need to put together an Atlanta/GA club. Are you guys going to go back to work after Spring Break? We're doing CRCT the week after spring break so I'm not sure how that would have worked out for me had I been able to do it this week.

Mary -

We took off the Fri before spring break and had surgery Sat so that we would have a full week to recover. My school takes the CRCT one week after we return so that was definitely part of my thought process....it would be way too much to do the 24/7 walk & stare testing proctoring the week after VSG -LOL!

VV2010

I think I can help with the sip, sip sip! I had my surgery two weeks ago today, it is very important to remain hydrated but the swelling in your pouch only allows for truly tiny sips. Therefore to get the proper amount of Water in you feel that you are constantly sipping. To be honest I was DEVASTATED the day after I got out of the hospital, you have all of that anesthesia in you and you are uncomfortable and sipping that water it is easy to forget that you will be able to take a fairly normal drink in no time at all. I just realized today that I can drink consecutive drinks again. You know tip it back and take like 4-5 gulps right in a row. Still not as big of a mouthful as before but HUGE compared to before.

Thanks Robbie. That helps me get a better picture of what to expect. With the band they told us not to use a straw. Is that true with the sleeve?

You sound good. I have heard others say that right after their surgery they felt like they had made a big mistake, but then in a couple of weeks it got much better. It must be pretty scary at first. Did you have a lot of pain that first week or two?

It's been so recent for you, I'll bet you can remember feeling anxious and a little worried about all these things when you were waiting like I am.

I see you've lost 30 lbs. Was part of that from pre-surgery dieting? What a great start!

BJean, you're right. The gas either escapes up top or down below (excuse me!) It's because the doctor fills your stomach with air during the surgery (not exactly sure why- maybe to check for leaks?). The gas is the most painful part, I found. Now that I'm four days out, I don't have the gas pains hardly at all and I'm back to normal activity. Going to work on Monday shouldn't be a problem. In fact, VV and I felt so good on Monday, when we were back in San Antonio we explored River Walk and the Alamo! San Antonio has a beautiful downtown!

BJean, you are right about the straw it is not permitted after the sleeve. My surgeon required a 2day pre-op diet but I did 10 days (figured it couldn't hurt) I lost 6lbs during that time. I had very little pain and or discomfort with my sleeve. I could not have had a smoother experience. I only hit my morphine pump twice and that was because the nurse asked me to before I walked for the first two times. I have taken no pain meds or tylenol since then. I didn't even have the gas pain which surprised me because I did experience gas pain under my shoulder when I had a caesarean years ago, it really bugged but it was absorbed by my body within a few days. I researched the sleeve like crazy so I was very surprised that two days after surgery I was questioning my decision and feeling a bit blue. I am so happy to say that I am totally over that and am so far thrilled with my sleeve. I wish you the best with your surgery.

SlimDiddy- you sound fabulous! Great that you felt like taking advantage of being in San Antonio! I've lived in Texas for 10 years and have only been there a couple of times but each time was great.

I am so happy to hear that you're doing so well! Maybe the fact that you have been so active has been the answer for you. I'm going to do my best to get up and at 'em as soon as I can.

Keep up the good work!

Robbie my doc said I didn't need to do a pre-op diet at all. And I'm not sure why because I have gained weight recently. I haven't been dieting at all. Having Desserts and dumb stuff.

So I am glad to hear that you did some pre-op dieting and that it seemed to help. I was planning on doing about 7 days of low-carb/high Protein and whey Protein shakes. Not really expecting to lose much but just to make myself be in better shape for the stress of surgery. And I'm worried about hair loss and want to make sure I have plenty of Protein in my bod.

Disappointed about the straw. I've sure missed being able to use a straw. Sigh.

You're doing so well. I'm sure that helps a lot when you're getting reconciled to the new tummy. I hope I can do as well. I'm getting more excited than scared now I think. And having you all tell me stuff is a huge help!

Thanks.