Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid egg whites as protein??

Hello, Just wondering if anyone has used liquid egg whites as a Protein source? They have about 11 grams of protein for 3.5 ounces. One time on one of my crazy diet attempts I mixed them with cocoa powder and Splenda and drank them for a few days. Wondered if they might work in my early days after I am sleeved?

I'm leary about taking any part of an egg in raw, (fear of bacteria), although I know that is the best way to obtain its nutritional value. I have mixed the egg white in with whole grain cream of wheat, goat milk and a scoop of Solgar vanilla whey powder, (it's predigested whey and easily absorbed). I don't use any artificial sweeteners but I do use Stevia in powder form. All in all the cream of wheat has 7 grams Protein per packet (I use about a half packet) the egg white another 10-11g the whey, 16g, and milk maybe 4grams protein that totals to around 33 give or take a gram. It's got some carbs though and some people don't want that. I have lost 70 lbs so far and have been having this as my Breakfast it's a real comfort food. You can make the hot Cereal the consistancy that you like and really take your time with it.

there is a risk of salmonella poisoning with raw eggs.< /p>

you don't want that after surgery, it involves countless vomitting and diarrea for days.

think of the staple line.....

Thank you, I should have specified that I used the kind that you buy in the carton that are pastuerized.

Lan2k-I am going to follow your lead and dump the artificial sweetner, I need to switch to Stevia too. I am definitely going to try your breakfast also, 70lbs gone sounds like you know your stuff! Congratulations.

Well actually the cream of wheat saved me for a while I was repulsed by most everything and had a hard time getting in enough nutrition. This is not the case any longer however I so enjoy the warm creamy grains in the early morning. I do cook it with Water and only add the milk after the flame is off right before I whisk the Solgar vanilla whey powder in. I also add pure bourbon vanilla extract to the mix ..it is delicious and sustains me for quite a while. Hope it works for you too. Thanks!!

What about Jay Robb's egg white Protein, is that ok, or does anybody know? Why is the 'whey' preferable, or IS it? Also, I am trying out a 'bullet' right now, I have a fruit punch flavored mixed with grape Kool-Aid and a Stivia it's not bad, but I think I read something about (I'm pre-op and trying different protein) the collagen being a problem post op....does anyone know why?

collagen per se is not the problem. It is a viable source of Protein if you can stomach the fact that you're drinking boiled horse and cow hides.

Whey Protein Isolate is considered the best protein source, but some people can't tolerate it. Find what works for you, only buy samples until you find something you absolutely love and try to use high protein foods to get the majority of your protein in on a a regular basis. While still on the liquid phase...just do the best you can!

Collagen per se is not the problem. It is a viable source of Protein if you can stomach the fact that you're drinking boiled horse and cow hides.

Whey Protein Isolate is considered the best protein source, but some people can't tolerate it. Find what works for you, only buy samples until you find something you absolutely love and try to use high protein foods to get the majority of your protein in on a a regular basis. While still on the liquid phase...just do the best you can!

I'm giggling. I'm from Texas, where beef is consumed almost nightly, which I'm sure contributed to my being scheduled for the sleeve....and fried cow testicles are a delicacy, so boiled horse and cow hide isn't gagging me, and I'm sipping it now! :thumbup1: Thanks for clearing this up, I wasn't sure....the whey Protein Powder is hard to get down pre-op, I'll have to see how it goes afterward!! The Jay Robb egg white protein is my favorite so far!!

I can't tolerate the whey and it gave me severe tummy troubles so my nutritionist recommended I try egg white Protein. He said that in order of optimal preference post op it was whey isolate, egg white protein, and then soy. So far I've been using the Jay Robb egg white protein vanilla & chocolate and love it! For breakfast I make a smoothie which I can sip on over the course of an hour as I'm getting ready for work. It's really yummy and gives 30 grams of protein. It does have carbs though with the milk & banana so if you are watching those very strictly it may be a no-go.

1 cup Silk Light Soy Milk

1/2 Medium Banana

1 Scoop Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder (Chocolate or Vanilla)

I can't tolerate the whey and it gave me severe tummy troubles so my nutritionist recommended I try egg white Protein. He said that in order of optimal preference post op it was whey isolate, egg white Protein, and then soy. So far I've been using the Jay Robb egg white protein vanilla & chocolate and love it! For breakfast I make a smoothie which I can sip on over the course of an hour as I'm getting ready for work. It's really yummy and gives 30 grams of protein. It does have carbs though with the milk & banana so if you are watching those very strictly it may be a no-go.

1 cup Silk Light Soy Milk

1/2 Medium Banana

1 Scoop Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder (Chocolate or Vanilla)

I mixed the sample packet (trying it out), vanilla, with Water, added a little vanilla extract, some coconut extract....was really good, kind of like a pina coloda and 4 carbs I think! I've also done it in the blender similarly, with a banana, some pineapple and coconut extract, but I know that ups the carbs a little....a few ice cubes to thicken it up! Yum!

Soo this egg Protein doesnt actually taste like "egg" in a shake right? I know it is a totally stupid question but I am COMPLETELY LOST about protein...I am also trying not to buy anything until after surgery, I KNOW my taste will change they always do= [

Nope doesn't taste like egg. At least not to me anyway. I'm not sure what it taste like on its own as I'm not brave enough to try it with just Water, but with milk or soy milk it's pretty yummy in my opinion.

Soo this egg Protein doesnt actually taste like "egg" in a shake right? I know it is a totally stupid question but I am COMPLETELY LOST about protein...I am also trying not to buy anything until after surgery, I KNOW my taste will change they always do= [

Not at all, no eggie taste. Go to GNC or Whole food and get a sample sized packet to try one or two. I had it in Water and even added some coconut extract to the vanilla one, along with some ice to give it a pina coloda taste. The egg white - unlike the whey ones, have no flavor.