Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have post surgery pain from the weight of your abdominal fat?

When I stand, the weight of my belly fat pulls down on the incision sites and drain site and it hurts. I was thinking about getting one of those support bands they make for pregnancy to help hold the weight while I walk.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you find a solution?

I did! And that is exactly what I did only my band was the one I was given at the hospital when I had an incisional open hernia repair in my upper abdomin. I was so glad I'd washed it and stored it with my towels, sheets and pillow cases. It wrapped around my mid section and velcro'd closed and it was just perfect. I wore it until I was sufficiently healed and the hanging belly didn't hurt my incisions. When I went out I wore it under a sweater. It worked great for my abdominal surgery and it worked just as great for the VSG..

Thanks so much for the feedback - I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can find one. I'm looking forward to being able to stand without pain.

Oh absolutely! I walked around holding the bottom of my belly up for days. To let go meant a burning pain immediately. The good news is it just went away one day pretty quick, I think within the first 7-10 days.

Thanks for your comments.

The pain went away completely about 2 hours after they removed the drain today (day 9).

I'm glad I just borrowed a brace instead of buying one. I'm going to suggest this when I go to my in person support group that the potential patients go to. I also gave my surgeon the feedback at my post-op appt today so he can share it with other paitents. He said he never thought about that and none of his patients had mentioned it.