Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having such a hard time drinking Water. Mainly just because I forget to sip sip sip. The day comes and goes and I notice I haven't drank what I should've. So here are my questions:

1- Why is it important to not eat and drink at the same time? It seems like it would help push the lump in my throat down.

2- Is it taboo if you DON'T drink all that water?

Hi Tennessee, it is not taboo if you don't drink all that Water. . .personally i think it's stupid, I get down about 40 oz of Water, but then i have coffee and tea along the day too. . . do the best you can. The only problem is Constipation, I don't have a problem with constipation and go regularly every other day. . today was a diarrhea day, don't know why, oh well at least i'm pooping right . .

It's important not to eat and drink because (as explained by my doctor) after you eat your Protein, you want it to stay in your stomach for a while so you don't get hungry, if you drink along with eating, it washes it down and out of your tummy and your be hungry shortly thereafter. . . it's true, i've tried it and it's not funny. . . i was starving about 1 hour later. . . had to go and have some more Protein and then didn't drink and it was alot better. . . .

Tn1031,

Thin covered why you shouldn't drink with meals. I'll cover why the quantity of Water is important, ok?

Water flushes the toxins out of your body, specifically out of your brain cells as well as your internal organs. It hydrates your skin which promotes elasticity (ie, so the skin will not sag quite as much as you lose the weight) and often if you drink water when you think you're hungry you'll realize that you were thirsty, and not truly hungry. So, it's important. Having said all that, I count all water that goes in my mouth whether it be Crystal Light, tea, Protein drink made with water...whatever. Maybe that's not right..but it's how I do it.

I too count all of my fluids. I drink a ton of herbal tea all day long and I count it. I figure it's hydration that the body needs and it doesn't seem to hurt.

I plan to do a lot of hydrating after surgery to help my skin's elasticity. For me, that's reason enough to really keep the fluids going. Once I'm home from the hospital, I plan to put 4 oz in a cup every hour and down it before the next hour begins. Once I'm able, I'm going to aim for 8 oz an hour, whether it's Water, crystal light or herbal tea.

I know I will probably get lectured for this, but I take a few small sips while eating. I was gagging SO bad after surgery because I couldn't drink while eating. I take VERY small sips just to moisten the food as it goes down. I seem to be doing okay. I don't drink large quantities with food and I certainly don't gulp. I just have to have a little bit of moisture in there.

I know I will probably get lectured for this, but I take a few small sips while eating. I was gagging SO bad after surgery because I couldn't drink while eating. I take VERY small sips just to moisten the food as it goes down. I seem to be doing okay. I don't drink large quantities with food and I certainly don't gulp. I just have to have a little bit of moisture in there.

Unless you are doing something very detrimental to your health, I don't think any of us have the right to lecture one another on what they choose to do. Isn't that why we picked this surgery - the additional freedom of food choices, etc. Personally, if you need a sip here and there to help you eat, I say go for it. If you can avoid it, all the better. But, I would rather have anyone eating healthy Protein with a small sip than eating unhealthy slider foods that don't require Water.

As Tiff says *Stepping off my soapbox now :laugh0:*

I would rather have anyone eating healthy Protein with a small sip than eating unhealthy slider foods that don't require Water.

As Tiff says *Stepping off my soapbox now :laugh0:*

Kudos to that comment Mini me!!! Good point and well said!

No one will lecture you. We're all so very different. I sip with my meals especially when wine is involved LOL.

I definitely don't gulp or drink a lot of fluids at all while eating, and it has not made me hungrier, and it doesn't really allow me to eat more food per sitting.

I eat way too much spicy food not to wet my whistle occasionally during a meal. And, like I said, I drink a glass of wine here and there, and if I were to not drink with my meal, I'd never finish the glass. And, that my dear friends is straight-up alcohol abuse! ! !

And, like I said, I drink a glass of wine here and there, and if I were to not drink with my meal, I'd never finish the glass. And, that my dear friends is straight-up alcohol abuse! ! !

You need to come with a warning label. I don't think falling on the floor laughing is good for a newly sleeved person. You crack me up! :laugh0:

You need to come with a warning label. I don't think falling on the floor laughing is good for a newly sleeved person. You crack me up! :blushing:

Ha ha ha you have no idea ! ! ! I'm pretty tame on here because I don't offend anyone. I hope one day we can plan a big VST meet-up.

Ha ha ha you have no idea ! ! ! I'm pretty tame on here because I don't offend anyone. I hope one day we can plan a big VST meet-up.

That would be fun!

Well, I kind of meant that I have a feeling that my doctor is going to lecture me if I tell him. I don't know if I will or not. I just love Water and I love crystal light. I nneeeed a few sips while eating.

I think early on, the Water requirements are for dehydration purposes, when most of us have a lot of trouble getting anything down. But though water is a great 0 calorie choice, I hear a lot of those who have an aversion to it. Keep in mind that any liquid would count towards your goal (mine was set at 64 oz minimum to keep from dehydration) Foods have liquid which counts, tea, coffee, milk ect. I personally don't care for Crystal Light, but I squeeze some lemon in with my water (with ice) which somehow makes it more pleasing for me. If anyone has ever been dehydrated, you know how crummy it feels. Chronic dehydration has a lot of detrimental effects.

I am really concerned about this for after I am sleeved. I'm on meds for fibromyalgia that, along with the fibro fatigue, really knock me out and I CAN'T sip sip sip because my day is a series of naps. I currently gulp down about 6 oz every time I wake up and barely hold off dehydration because I live in Southern Arizona. It is SUCH a problem that I have often wished my husband were certified to give me a saline IV while I sleep. I currently get about 32 oz of liquid per day.....I am going to have to make some major changes to get through the post-surgical period.