Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about protein shakes

Hi - I am new to this and just got my date with Dr. Alvarez for April 3rd - YIPEE!!! I am trying to do some research about Protein Shakes and have gotten some mixed messages on the blogs. Some people say that the body absorbs only around 50% of the Protein in these shakes, but other shakes with a particular digestive enzyme absorb 80-90% of the protein. Does anyone know where to get some accurate info about this topic? Thanks so much!

VV2010

Hi!

I'm a Bariatric Dietitian and I can answer this question for you. With shakes the Protein is already pulverized, and your stomach has still had a large protion removed, only allowing 20 grams of protein to be absorbed per meal. If it's a high quality protein food like meat, cheese, milk, etc. You will absorb 90% of that product. If it's a low quality protein like 1-5gm per serving. The stomach will absorb less. Hope this makes sense!

Shoot for 20 grams of quality protein per meal or shake and you'll do just fine!

Hi!

I'm a Bariatric Dietitian and I can answer this question for you. With shakes the Protein is already pulverized, and your stomach has still had a large protion removed, only allowing 20 grams of Protein to be absorbed per meal. If it's a high quality protein food like meat, cheese, milk, etc. You will absorb 90% of that product. If it's a low quality protein like 1-5gm per serving. The stomach will absorb less. Hope this makes sense!

Shoot for 20 grams of quality protein per meal or shake and you'll do just fine!

Thanks so much for your response! So I understand what high quality protein is after reading your answer. :) I'm still a bit unsure about what you would consider a low quality protein. Would this be ANYTHING that just has a few grams of protein like a shake or "real" food? Thanks so much for your help!

Actually now I dont understand... Sooooo even if we buy whey Protein ...and say it has like, I dont know I am making this up, like 40gm Of protein per 8 oz, and I drink that, I am not actually absorbing all of that protein, like I am not getting all 40 gm??

I'm not sure about the rate of absorption, but if I understand things right, you want to look specifically for whey Protein isolate, vs. whey protein concentrate. The isolate is better absorbed by the body (again, if I'm getting it right) and contains complete amino acid chains.

Stacy160- yes that is correct. Whey Protein isolate is a more concentrated form of whey Protein and in turn, will be better absorbed and used in your body.

Tiffanyismajor- you are also correct, bacause of your charged anatomy (less stomach space) only 20 grams of protein can be absorbed at one meal. So if you made a shake that contains 40 grams of protein, you body is only going to absorb half of that amount, even if it is high quality protein. That's why I always tell my patients to only use 1 scoop of protein instead of two if that one scoop provides you with at least 20 grams, otherwise you're just wasting protein.

VV2010- good quality protein are as follows: meat, poultry, fish, dairy, legumes. Poor quality protein would like be like a slice of toast (real foods)... only containing 2 grams and not having all the componant to be considered a complete protein. Most Protein shakes are made of high quality Proteins (whey or soy protein) which are complete Proteins.

Hope this helps!!:thumbup1: