Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons peformed 30-50 VSG surgeries?

So in my hunt to find a surgeon overseas I came across another one and it seems there are only a handful of surgeons here and most have performed between 30-50 VSG's....mostly doing gastric bypasses and BANDS....ALOT of bypasses and vsg's.

Is this a big no-no?

So in my hunt to find a surgeon overseas I came across another one and it seems there are only a handful of surgeons here and most have performed between 30-50 VSG's....mostly doing gastric bypasses and BANDS....ALOT of bypasses and vsg's.

Is this a big no-no?

According to the research that I read prior to deciding on a surgeon, the complication rate is higher until the surgeon had performed 300 or more of a surgery. It is not easy to find one with the amount of experience that was needed to reassure me. The ones with the most experience are Cirangle and Jossart in San Francisco but I could not afford them since I was self-pay. I found Dr Aceves in Mexicali. His credentials were stellar. He's done over 700, and is FACS, president of Mexican Bariatric Assoc., and operates in a beautiful hospital with ICU etc, so I highly recommend him. He was also affordable. Many on this forum have gone to him.

You are smart to do your research. Good luck!

Thank you for filling me in with that useful info....How much (generally) does he charge for a VSG?

I got in on the summer special in September, 8700 dollars. If you don't get the special I think it is around 9500 dollars.

wow.....I wish I was back home in Canada right about now :-(....what is included with that deal? maybe its worth me taking a trip home to Canada and vacation in mexico....could you let me know whats in that deal?

You pay your flight to and from San Diego. His driver picks you up at the San diego airport, drives you to mexicali (about 2 hour drive). He takes you directly to the hospital where you have lab tests, ekg, chest xray, meet with Dr Aceves, the cardiologist, the anesthesiologist and the internist. Then the driver, (Ernesto) drives you to the lucerna resort hotel where you spend the night. He picks you up the next morning to take you back to the hospital for the surgery where you stay for three days. You get a leak test during surgery, and two leak tests during your hospital stay. Then Ernesto drives you back to the airport on the fourth day. A companion can come with you, and the companion pays for his/her own meals (there is a cafeteria). All you pay for is airfare, and your dinner the night before the surgery at a local restaurant of your choice. Everything else is covered, all doctors, tests, surgery, and your "meals" in the hospital, which amount to Clear Liquids. Their program works like clockwork and they are easy to work with. The bedside manner of the doctors is awesome, unlike any I have ever seen in the USA and the hospital is cleaner than any I have ever been in. Your companion has a couch in your hospital room, where they can sleep if they want. If they want to go back to the Lucerna hotel to sleep they would have to pay for their room except for that first night when you are there...that first night is covered by Dr Aceves.

thank you cajun!!!

You are welcome! A lot of canadians fly down to be "sleeved" by Dr Aceves.

I agree with everything that Cajun said.

Also, this surgery is more about technique and experience. Once the surgeon has at least 300 sleeves done, he has his technique down pat and the risk of complications decrease significantly. The surgeons use a measuring tool called a boughie to determine how big or small the stomach will be. The standard size is between a 32fr and 36fr. A surgeon can use the 32fr (which is the smallest that is recommended), but his technique could suck, and then you may not have the same results as someone else who had a more experienced surgeon. Geez, I hope that makes sense.

Also, when researching surgeons, make sure you consider all the factors of follow up care, complication rates, years of experience, facilities that are available for your surgery and recovery. Don't let cost be the only determining factor.

I had my sleeve done another doctor and had wonderful experience with him. Extra-ordinary service, hospital and care. Even I did my research before deciding for the doctor and after going through every aspects I chose Dr. Miguel Zapata. He has good credentials and good track record. Do your homework before deciding for a doctor. It is really important.