Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder Survey - PLEASE READ

Hey everyone, this is NOT the same old "what Protein do you like" thread. I wanted to pick everyone's brain, run a few thoughts past everyone and get YOUR thoughts. For those of you who don't know me I was Sleeved 1/13/2010, just a few days ago. One thing I've learned through this process is people have no idea what kind of protein they should be drinking, where they can get it, etc etc. I've talked to a lot of people in person who told me they were a bit intimidated going to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe because of all the tons of different Proteins with different ingredients, as well as sales people who really could care less about them and their goals of a healthier life. Heck, I had people tell me they were intimidated by the protein aisle at Wal Mart now, because of all the different stuff they sell in the way of Protein powder. I have been doing some serious thinking about this idea.....I have the means, capitol, and the wherewithall to start my own protein company. Let's just say I'm well educated on Protein Powder and what I was thinking was start a company with Bariatric patients in mind, a group which I am now a part of. Come up with the perfect protein powder, one that I myself, who is the pickiest bastard alive, would use, and in turn I would offer it to the general public. I would make one simple, optimum blend, and offer it in different flavors. I would make it easy to find and easy to order with no pressure or guesswork or b.s. You come to my website, I have quality protein, you pick the flavor/s you like best and order. As simple as that. On my website I would have some nice protein info explaining exactly why my protein is great for you, why I use it and why you should too; as well as some motivational stuff to help us all on our journey. Now I understand everyone has different tastes, so myself and three other people might LOVE my vanilla powder, but others may not like it, your'e always gonna have that. But generally I think I can offer a really great powder, at a really good price and make it taste pretty damn good. I'd like to hear some opinions from everyone. IF there was a good blend that you liked would you stick with it? Would you try different flavors? Would you order online?? Would you rather experiment and try different brands all the time? If I used Nutrasweet as a sweetener would you have a problem with that? Besides Vanilla and chocolate what other flavors do you like or would you like to see? I AM a bariatric patient myself and I WILL absolutely be using my powder, does that matter to you; meaning would you feel more inclined to buy my powder knowing I was using it; as opposed to some corporate CEO just looking for your money? These are just some of my questions to you.

I want to add, and I mean this in all sincerity, I am truly driven to do this. Going through this process I've seen SO MANY people at my surgeon's office that have no idea about protein powder, that there are MANY different types of protein, I really just want to help people get what they need and deserve. One woman told me she went to GNC and was scared to death. Think about it, here's a woman, late 50-ish, just beginning her journey, she goes into GNC and there are about 12 different BRANDS of protein and about 40 different mixes by the various brands. How the heck is she supposed to make an informed decision, get good protein that meets her needs, and NOT get ripped off? Do you think the 23 year old bodybuilder behind the counter really cares about what's best for her? I think you see where I'm going with this. This has become important to me, I like helping people and I want to help people that have had or or going to have weight loss surgery. This is a lifelong journey and I'm starting to understand that without help and support from each other it's a daunting task to stay on the righteous path. So with that, if you look at my first paragraph again I'd LOVE to hear some opinions on the questions I asked as well as any feedback you may have for me.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Edited by Behemoth845

Nutrasweet/Aspartame is just wretched in my opinion. I still think it tastes horrible after surgery. I can tolerate it in small doses, but it takes quite a bit to disguise Protein tastes.

I like the option to purchase online, plus I enjoy ordering a "sample pack". I typically am not a chocolate fan, I do enjoy French Vanilla flavored stuff, and I wasn't a huge fan of the super fruity flavors. I did like the Cappucino nectar flavor.

The texture, smell, after taste and grittiness is most important to me when it comes to choosing a Protein supplement.

I would not be more or less inclined to purchase a protein supplement from someone who manufactured/marketed the product regardless if they had surgery or not.

Quick Shipping (reasonable shipping costs and methods)

Ease of Ordering

Product Quality/Quantity vs. Cost

Would all be my deciding factor on ordering protein from any site.

Fancy packaging, celebrity endorsements don't "mean a hill of beans" to me. I want to be able to drink it, like it, and not puke it up.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU TIFF! That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

I hate ordering online. I would love to be able to buy something that tasted good but ordering online seems to be the only way out there these days.

I agree that there should be sample packs available of many flavors. BSN Lean Dessert sends all their flavors for the cost of shipping.

You have decided to take on a pretty big project. Have you read the "rate your liquids" thread?

Also, there are a lot of people that are asking for things to be sweetened with Stevia rather than

Nutrasweet and Aspartame is poison as far as I am concerned.

Well I was in the grocery store the other day just thinking that I'm surprised that they haven't come up with a bariatric section yet. WLS is so common now that having a source to go to for what we need would be ideal.

As far as Protein goes, I recently have experienced the confusion of picking products for my upcoming surgery. I took Tiff's recommendation of ordering the sample pack of the Gold Standard brand so I could try their flavors. That's the one thing lacking in the Protein market...smaller dang quantities! What's with the 5-lb tub? I can't think of any other product that I buy in such a large size. As far as the common consumer is concerned, the only difference between them all is the taste and consistency, so why would I buy such a huge quantity of something I might not like? I wanted to try the nectar brand, but couldn't bring myself to buy so much.

They all need to offer samples!! Or a combo pack. I know that The Vitamin Shoppe carries the Gold Standard brand, but that sample box I ordered online is not available there, nor are many of the good flavors, so I will order mine online again.

Ya know what would be handy? A survival kit for the first 2 weeks after WLS. Soup, protein, shaker bottles, 2oz, 4oz cups, Jello, smoothie recipes, etc... there is definitely a market for the bariatric industry right now.

Thanks OD, I will check that thread when I get a chance tomorrow. I appreciate your feedback and this is why I'm asking. I hear you on the Nutrasweet, once again, why I ask. I have other options available, such as all natural flavoring using Stevia, but the all natural flavoring limits me to some flavors which I personally would like to carry. That's not to say I wouldn't carry both, with it clearly stated Natural Vs. Otherwise/Aspartame/Splenda/etc. Actually it's safe to say I will probably stay away from Splenda/Sucrolose.

Thank you too MB20. I hear ya. Going through all this myself I really understand the frustration people feel trying to set themselves up with what they need. I think I could help people. I agree on the samples. VERY important to me. And ladies FYI I need to get some sleep but you may get a PM from me tomorrow and I'd like to actually send you a couple samples of a couple things I'm working on.

Edited by Behemoth845

There is also a thread in the food section where you can order a lot of samples from many different places, for the OP and anyone else looking for samples. There are a lot of samples out there. Samples are definitely the way to go because some people don't want to drink Protein drinks after the post op stage.Who wants a giant tub, just like mb20mom said.

My absolute favorite is from Netrition.com and it's PVL whey Gourmet Peanut Butter chocolate, but right now it's $30. I would definitely drink it all, but I don't like ordering from there since there is nothing else there I want. Their shipping is 4.99 no matter how much you order.

I order from vitacost.com and they have a lot of supplements and Vitamins that I order, besides Protein powders.

Ya know what would be handy? A survival kit for the first 2 weeks after WLS. Soup, Protein, shaker bottles, 2oz, 4oz cups, Jello, smoothie recipes, etc... there is definitely a market for the bariatric industry right now.

That's a wonderful idea! With multiple samples included...love the idea of including tiny cups too.

- I won't buy anything with aspartame. I look for Splenda/sucralose in the ingredients, but stevia would be even better!

- I love buying online as long as the shipping's reasonable.

- There are already some online companies run by bariatric patients, and while it's reasonable to assume that they'd only sell top-quality products that they'd use themselves, I'm perfectly comfortable with buying things elsewhere too. Depends on price and taste, in the end!

I wanted to add that I love muscle milk light. It's about $20 for a case of it at costco. If I had a Costco here, I would never order online. I love the convenience of

RTD Protein Drinks.< /strong>

Please think about postage around the world as well..... I'm not sleeved (yet!) and have yet to look into what might be available here in Spain, but think I might end up ordering from the UK or US.

i love muscle milk to. one thing it lactose and many protien are not. Oh and the smell of Protein is good awfull i mean really if you drink protien faithful everyday (i only eat seafood now) most have that protien smell s i can't stand. And like mention above the good one you do have to order online but at a heavy price and i drink three a day so that only a week and half supply (lot of shakes i still want to try but the price is outrages) oh make sure you have ready to drink. i hate powder (i'm lazy) Oh and more clear ones not too many clear protien drinks out there and for whatever reason they should not cost more then the milky stuff. and i don't know if you going to expand but if you make a Protein Bar make sure it is actully is low carb i mean most have 15 to 20 grams of carb and to me that not low carb but good luck!

I really have a hard time getting my Protein in. I have tried so many different kinds without much luck. It is better now that I can eat solid food, but I still don't get in as much as I would like.

My thought was, what if someone could create a Protein pill??? It would make things so much easier, and if not a pill, what about a dissolving strip or chewable tablet?? I would buy these products in a second!!

I'm not saying to stop all other forms of protein intake, but for the end of the day when we come up short, this would come in soooo handy!!

Any thoughts on these products? Is it possible?