Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my journey...

Hi everyone, I think I have decided to go with the Sleeve as my surgery choice. I am totally stressing over my decision and have been on other forum sights that havent really given me any support. First off I am looking to make friends to help me on my journey so I will have a place to come to for support. I had my first consult Dec 17th received my insurance approval Dec 21 and my psych eval is Jan 7. After that I will have a date of surgery. I am so scared and my mind just wont stop thinking about all the possibilities.

I am looking forward to getting to know people on this forum and I hope that I found my place of peace.

Jessica

yahoo IM: robertjesscox

Welcome Tysmommy! There are a lot of great, supportive people on this board. It's a great place to ask questions, give support, and vent away. Good luck through your pre-op journey (that's terrific you got approved so quickly) and I look forward to your updates.

I was so suprised to get the call so quickly! I am fortunate because I know alot of people have to fight their insurance companies. Does anyone have any advise on what I should start getting pre-op such as Vitamins or Protein Shakes?

Tysmom,

Your doctor will tell you if you need to be on a pre-op diet or not. You might start trying the variety of high protein- low carb drinks, powders, ready-to-drink shakes etc so you'll know what you can tolerate after surgery. Beware of buying alot of any one thing though because your tastes may really change after surgery. I have become very aware of how sweet things are since my surgery...many others have mentioned that their Protein shakes or drinks were too sweet also. There are pages and pages of excellent information here on this site about where to find Protein Drinks or you can Google the info too.

Good luck!

Hey Jessica, and welcome to VST.

Congrats on getting approval, and you'll love the sleeve.

As for Proteins, I would only order samples pre-op because even if you like it pre-op, post-op your tastebuds may change and you may not be able to tolerate any of them.

If you go to the Food/Recipe sharing forum there are lots of threads dedicated to just Protein, and where to find sample packs for you to try out. I went through 22 different brand, flavors before finding one I could tolerate. So, don't get frustrated, it's a process of elimination and everyone is different.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your progress.

WOW! It is so amazing to see eveyones tickers on their weightloss and I CAN NOT wait to get my results. To even be 20 lbs lighter will allow me to feel so much better. I am concerned about loose skin but I shouldnt think about that now, I do not want to stress over something of the future. Thank you for everyones post... I will definitly look into getting samples, no need to waste money..right!

Jessica

Yahoo IM: robertjesscox

Looks like we will be starting this journey around the same time! Good luck as it all begins for you & have fun reading through this site... I've found it to be a never-ending wealth of knowledge!

Carla

I agree with Tracy, your surgeon will let you know if you need to be on a pre-op diet. But if you'd like to get the ball rolling, you can always start a high protein/low carb diet like Atkins. I did a modified version of Atkins for 4 weeks before surgery and was able to drop 16 pounds.

Welcome Jessica!

We all understand how difficult and scary it is to make the decision to have WLS. I can honestly say, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family. I'm not yet to goal but I feel so much better, and have much more energy for my two boys (and my husband:blush:). This board is a lifeline for so many of us both pre-op and post-op, so ask away.

Hi Linda, that is my main reason for having the surgery done is to have more energy for my son. Right now I feel so terrible because I get so winded just picking him up and carrrying him for 5 minutes.

Hi Linda, that is my main reason for having the surgery done is to have more energy for my son. Right now I feel so terrible because I get so winded just picking him up and carrrying him for 5 minutes.

One of the first things I noticed was the shortness of breath disappeared and I had all my energy back, once I lost about 30 lbs. It happens very fast. Welcome to the board!

Jessica,

One of my most precious and memorable NSVs was having my 8 year old son give me a hug and say "wow Mom, I can wrap my arms all the way around now and touch my hands together". You just don't always realize how your being overweight affects them too. At first I thought I was being a bit selfish for spending the money to do have this surgery (not so much I considered not doing it) But now, I see what a benefit my weight loss has been to my entire family. Happier, healthier mommy = happier, healthier family.

WOW i'm amazed at how fast you were approved. Congratulations. They submitted my paperwork today so i'm not sure how long before i get a response. Can i ask what insurance you have, i have anthem Blue Cross HMO, not sure what they will say, so hopefully we will be on similar paths --best of luck to you, i'm excited about keeping up with your progress