Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Due to reasons that are too complicated to get into, my insurance is going to cover a boob job after I reach goal (I'm 3 weeks out). I went to a plastic surgeon today to get some info. What he's going to do sounds so involved--but I forgot to ask how long it takes to heal from that surgery, and how much it hurts! Anybody have experience in this dept willing to describe what the surgery process is like? I have 46Ds now. I want to end up with perky C cups.

I had a breast uplift 4 years ago.... with no implants. As I'm a low start BMI I am hoping the uplift will mean that I'll not loose too much shape from them.

The process of recovery was text book for me.... they didn't hurt as such, but then I've heard with implants you feel like you have a really heavy weight on your chest.

I have the keyhole scarring which has faded well... my scars do extend round under my arms as well....but all in all I'm very happy with the results, go topless with no issues, and have no regrets except that I didn't get the VSG done first, but then I didn't know about it then.

Bloody hell Sparkle, I dream of being able to go topless. I am defo going to get a lift, but not implants.

Jane x

Donna, I really would like to know under what conditions an insurance company would approve a breast makeover. Please if it's not comfortable to explain it here would you mind PMing me? Thanks.

Well, I'll tell you this much.My insurance covers plastic surgery for the reason of "correcting a congenital abnormality". I have one of those that I never fixed because I always wanted to wait until I lost weight. The purpose of the documentation now is to show the breasts are like that BEFORE WLS weight loss, so they can't say the abnormality is a result of WLS. The changes due to WLS won't be relevant, and I'll get my boob job covered, which will correct whatever WLS-caused issues in the process of correcting the "congenital abnormality".

So like I said, it's a unique situation, and not very many people are going to qualify for a post-WLS boob job this way. At least something good came out of my abnormality!

Due to reasons that are too complicated to get into, my insurance is going to cover a boob job after I reach goal (I'm 3 weeks out). I went to a plastic surgeon today to get some info. What he's going to do sounds so involved--but I forgot to ask how long it takes to heal from that surgery, and how much it hurts! Anybody have experience in this dept willing to describe what the surgery process is like? I have 46Ds now. I want to end up with perky C cups.

I had a major rehaul breast reduction. They took a section about the size of a pound of butter out of each breast. The recovery is a BIG DEAL. I had mine done in Costa Rica and had to stay in-country for three weeks in a recovery house. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe it was an additional SIX weeks before I was supposed to lift my arms from my sides (practically impossible). I asked how long before I could do yoga, and he said at least three months. You are also not allowed to pick anything up--I lifted a basket of laundry at about five weeks out and popped a stitch (just one), ended up with a big hole that took about a month to close over, and left me with major scarring--it's in the place where the three points of skin come together at the bottom--you have to be extremely careful of damage there because there is NO undamaged tissue to build from and it all has to start from scratch. If the stitches are not intact, you'll get tissue death and that's what makes the hole.

My surgeon did an excellent job. He stitches in an "internal underwire" to preserve lift as much as possible. Sadly, I have the stretchiest skin in the universe and have ended up with far more droop than I would have liked, but this is not his fault. The shape is flawless. They're nice, but not nineteen-year-old nice...

Size, as mentioned, is difficult to predict. I went in with a 36FF asking just to have a good shape and proportional size. I also took a picture of the shape my husband wanted. The surgeon was thrilled to hear that, because people often come in asking for a specific size and that's not really how it works.

Perkiness long-term will depend largely on how prone your skin is to stretching (do you have a lot of stretch marks? Really extensive loose skin from pregnancy or weight loss, or did it snap back fairly well?) and on surgical technique. It is also EXTREMELY important to wear the compression bra after surgery for at least as long as recommended. Don't think you can come home and throw on a sports bra. Then you need to be in a supportive (but no underwires until allowed) bra all the time, even sleeping, for at least a year. I did not follow this rule, much to my dismay now. It is VERY tempting not to. You've got these great perky new breasts, and you want to wear halter tops and things without bras....resist the temptation. There will be time for that later.

I hope I answered all your questions. :confused1:

I had a breast reduction in 1989 and went from a 38DDD to a 36C. I remember going into the surgery thinking that it was going to be the most painful thing ever because a girlfriend had it done and said that when she woke up it felt like a semi-truck had run her over. Because I went into it thinking the worst, I think I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was nothing that a Tylenol didn't help with. I remember my doctor telling me that it would be a good 6 months before all of the tissue healed etc. About a year after the original surgery I went in for a scar revision because I didn't like the scarring under my breasts. With the revision I was really careful not to move or stretch for at least 6 weeks and the second time I healed really well.

Now that I've gained 80 lbs since then, I have no idea what I will end up looking like when I lose this weight. They certainly won't be the perky things that I used to have. . .LOL!

P.S. By the way, before the surgery my surgeon told me to look at some Playboy magazines and pick out the breasts that I wanted. Funny how you would think they all look good until you really start scrutinizing them. I picked out a pair and low and behold, that's what I got!

Hi All, I imagine after my sleeve I'll end up with a pair of empty saggy skin sacs. I was a barely B cup before I started to gain now I am a large C. I am 54 for I am not too sure vanity will get me to have them done.

Nancy

This is soooo funny! I'm scheduled for my VSG on 9/25-my hbusband is supportive of my decision and enjoys a fuller me so when all was said an done that was his first question "will they leave too"?

Hillarious! All of his talk of your perect blah blah blah blah the truth finally came out!

Sheesh...good thing I love him to death! :thumbup1:

Well, I'll tell you this much.My insurance covers plastic surgery for the reason of "correcting a congenital abnormality". I have one of those that I never fixed because I always wanted to wait until I lost weight. The purpose of the documentation now is to show the breasts are like that BEFORE WLS weight loss, so they can't say the abnormality is a result of WLS. The changes due to WLS won't be relevant, and I'll get my boob job covered, which will correct whatever WLS-caused issues in the process of correcting the "congenital abnormality".

So like I said, it's a unique situation, and not very many people are going to qualify for a post-WLS boob job this way. At least something good came out of my abnormality!

Thanks Donna for replying to my post. I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford it but I'm now down to 136.4 lbs. My breasts are entirely deflated, they hang with seemingly no visible muscle and zero fat. From my neck down to mid chest I look like skin and bones wearing a low cut blouse is embarrassing, because WHERE ARE THE BREASTS? If I wear an under-wire push up bra, it makes me look even more freaky. The breasts lift up like flaps of skin against the tight skin which covers my chest bones. I look all neck, skin and bones. If ever a boob job was needed it's with me.

Insurance companies do not normally cover breast asymetry except for breast cancer corrections. They will cover breast reduction surgery if your breasts are causing back pain that has been refractory to non-surgical medical treatment. ie.. proper bras, analgesics, physical therapy, AND the amount of breast tissue to be removed would resolve the issue. It can be as much as 1000 gms per breast depending on your height and weight.

Your issue will need medical review, your surgeon will have to send pictures and explain why it would be medically necessary and not cosmetic.

I had a breast lift 4 yrs ago now, and was worried that they would reduce in size too much ( I love my boobs!!).... but they didn't. In fact they look bigger now!!

The scarring look extreme to begin, but certainly around the nipple and down have faded so much, I kept them out the sun and should occasion arise when I can go topless I ue a sunblock, but I am proud to get them out!

Theres no way I would have every done that before.

Hello!! How are you, it's been ages since we've written!! All is well here...cold in Wisconsin! I came across your post here and wanted to ask you about it! HOW painful was this surgery? This is the ONE thing I would consider...otherwise I've come back together pretty good, I am 'ok' with everything else, not too bad for a 51 yr old with two grown daughters! I won't need or want a Tummy Tuck, my arms I thought would be horrible, but I work on them quite a bit...they are quite a bit smaller, and although they'll never be in 'great' shape, they don't look too bad and don't 'jiggle' a whole lot. They are not nearly as bad as they were when I was heavy. Certainly not enough to justify having them done....by boobs on the other hand, I'd love a lift. I don't want them larger, but perky would be good. How bad is it??!!!

Tell me how you are doing? Hanging in there? I'm in maintaining and it's not difficult, just something new!

ohhhhh I remember some weird movie ...was it a Mel Gibson gig??? Some alien woman had three....hmmmmm I've worked too many hours to remember anything factual.

Be glad you have two! :blink:

Hello!! How are you, it's been ages since we've written!! All is well here...cold in Wisconsin! I came across your post here and wanted to ask you about it! HOW painful was this surgery? This is the ONE thing I would consider...otherwise I've come back together pretty good, I am 'ok' with everything else, not too bad for a 51 yr old with two grown daughters! I won't need or want a Tummy Tuck, my arms I thought would be horrible, but I work on them quite a bit...they are quite a bit smaller, and although they'll never be in 'great' shape, they don't look too bad and don't 'jiggle' a whole lot. They are not nearly as bad as they were when I was heavy. Certainly not enough to justify having them done....by boobs on the other hand, I'd love a lift. I don't want them larger, but perky would be good. How bad is it??!!!

Tell me how you are doing? Hanging in there? I'm in maintaining and it's not difficult, just something new!

Hi Hun

I'm fine thanks.... doing well and haved dropped the 'bad' stuff I was creeping towards so hope to have better weightloss now and get to target quicker!

My breast lift wasn't painful at all..... uncomfortable yes, but not really what I would call pain. Despite having gained weight since and shed it with the sleeve they still look great..... I didn't have implants, nor personally would I, fearing the ongoing cost in the future, but I suppose never say never, as I've always been 'booby'!

We were hoping to join a gym, but are conscious of money in these tight times so I need to get my Wii out more and do more stuff at home... maybe start jogging again!

I'm still in touch with my plastic surgeon, as he was curious to know how the sleeve went with me... as its not widely known over here. So when I hit target I'll email him and let him know.

Hi Hun

I'm fine thanks.... doing well and haved dropped the 'bad' stuff I was creeping towards so hope to have better weightloss now and get to target quicker!

My breast lift wasn't painful at all..... uncomfortable yes, but not really what I would call pain. Despite having gained weight since and shed it with the sleeve they still look great..... I didn't have implants, nor personally would I, fearing the ongoing cost in the future, but I suppose never say never, as I've always been 'booby'!

We were hoping to join a gym, but are conscious of money in these tight times so I need to get my Wii out more and do more stuff at home... maybe start jogging again!

I'm still in touch with my plastic surgeon, as he was curious to know how the sleeve went with me... as its not widely known over here. So when I hit target I'll email him and let him know.

this is good news in case I decide to get a "lift"!! I'm like you, I do not want implants, I do not, have never wanted bigger boobs! I think smaller and perky are much more attractive!! So the smaller I can keep them, the better! I'd prefer it if they were a little smaller really! Oh well!!! They have shrunk a little, so that is good!!

I have to ask, what is the 'bad stuff' you were creeping towards? I am still not hungry, but I can see that I do still have a sweet tooth, although I do not "crave" it like I use to, thank goodness!! I am allowing myself to have a bite here and there, and since I am in maintenence now, I am able to balance it where I can have some sweet things, just a little and not gain. I suspect there is a fine line that we can not cross. Don't you? Anyway, I was just curious. Good for you, I know that we have to fight these battles! The earlier the better!! I see you are VERY close to goal! Yay!!!!!

this is good news in case I decide to get a "lift"!! I'm like you, I do not want implants, I do not, have never wanted bigger boobs! I think smaller and perky are much more attractive!! So the smaller I can keep them, the better! I'd prefer it if they were a little smaller really! Oh well!!! They have shrunk a little, so that is good!!

I have to ask, what is the 'bad stuff' you were creeping towards? I am still not hungry, but I can see that I do still have a sweet tooth, although I do not "crave" it like I use to, thank goodness!! I am allowing myself to have a bite here and there, and since I am in maintenence now, I am able to balance it where I can have some sweet things, just a little and not gain. I suspect there is a fine line that we can not cross. Don't you? Anyway, I was just curious. Good for you, I know that we have to fight these battles! The earlier the better!! I see you are VERY close to goal! Yay!!!!!

Thanks babe.....You hit the nail on the head.. sweet stuff.... I've never really been one for chocolate, until now...so am trying to balance it as you say as I want to make sure I lose those last few lbs. I think I got hooked on holiday when I ate things I've not had for years and still lost... but realised I wanted to make sure I shifted those last lbs as well.

I know I can still eat everything, which is wonderful, but I know I also have to achieve my dreams first!

Thanks babe.....You hit the nail on the head.. sweet stuff.... I've never really been one for chocolate, until now...so am trying to balance it as you say as I want to make sure I lose those last few lbs. I think I got hooked on holiday when I ate things I've not had for years and still lost... but realised I wanted to make sure I shifted those last lbs as well.

I know I can still eat everything, which is wonderful, but I know I also have to achieve my dreams first!

At a normal weight I only had a B cup. Then I breastfed and got a lil larger. Weight gain made me a C almost D.

I'd take the B's as long as I can keep some hips and booty!.