Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser - Richmond, California

Thanks Tiff & Lee,

I really appriciate the help on this subject! I just found out today (sorry Lee if I'm repeating myself , LOL) that I can not have the RYN beacuse I am alergic to Tylenol which is the only pain meds you can take with the RYN. I think now my only concern with the sleeve is that the surgen in the Fremont Kaiser said that they have only done 7. And I don't want to be the one they mess up on!

Ashley

Hello MamaAsh,

Have they told you how many Duodenal Switch operations he has done? The sleeve is the first part of the Duodenal Switch without all the cutting and rearranging of the intestines. It is less evasive, it can be done lapriscopically or open. I was done with 5 incisions, but Dr.Husted here in Somerset Ky. told me that now he does it with only One small incision. I heard that the incision is 3-4 inches long. I will get to ask him Dec. 1 the day before I have surgery how big the incision will be. He has a very nice reputation as a surgeon and years of experience with many different procedures. He has a website. He is the one that started an approved procedure called a Vergito, Which has 3 kinds of procedures wrapped into one, if I do understand it right. He has some really good reveiws.

Also you may want to read this article about the sleeve:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is very good. I explained this in an earlier thread about the ghrelin. I find it so interesting that I am going to post it on here again, that way maybe more people will read it. Thank you!!

.HomeLocal NewsNational NewsYour ExpertsFamily Health Watch: Local News

Weight loss surgery curbs appetites, has advantages over gastric bypass

from KY3 News

Story Updated: Nov 2, 2009

If you're looking into surgery to lose weight, doctors have one more option up their sleeve. The procedure is faster and less complicated than gastric bypass.

Ophelia Brown had weight loss surgery two months ago and, so far, she's lost 35 pounds. "I don't breathe as hard. I don't get tired as easy," said Brown.

The procedure is a new approach in bariatric surgery called sleeve gastrectomy. "We remove three-quarters of the stomach, so the new stomach has a new shape, looks like a sleeve or a banana," said bariatric surgeon Dr. Alex Gandsas.

Unlike gastric bypass, surgeons don't have to reroute the bowel. Other than downsizing the stomach, the anatomy stays intact so there are fewer complications.

“The sleeve actually does offer an appealing alternative for those patients who are intimidated by having a major operation such as the gastric bypass," said Gandsas.

The sleeve not only forces patients to eat less but they also don't crave food as much because a big part of their stomachs are gone.

"This part of the stomach is in charge of producing a hormone called ghrelin, which is responsible for our appetite," said Gandsas. "By removing that, the patient not only will be able to eat less, but will feel less hungry."

Gandsas is pioneering the procedure at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore because, he says, the benefits are lifesaving.

"Health issues such as diabetes type 2 have been resolved in approximately 65 percent. The hypertension's been resolved in 50 percent, sleep apnea in more than 75 percent," he said.

"Already I'm off the diabetes medicine; the blood pressure I just take now and then," said Brown.

Now, as Brown's weight goes down, her appetite for better health soars. The sleeve procedure is performed through small incisions. Patients can lose about 60 percent of their excess weight compared to gastric bypass's 70 percent.

The sleeve procedure is not yet covered by many insurance companies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps you to make a decision for the best procedure. You are doing the right thing by researching and asking alot of Questions. Thank you for reading this.

Edited by mountain_lover

Mountain_Lover, that was a great article. Thanks for posting it.

Ash, while Kaiser Richmond no longer does the DS operation, I'm sure that they performed many in the past. I trust Kaiser and knowing that it's one of the best Bariatric programs in the nation gives me piece of mind. I don't think they'll have surgeons performing the sleeve that are not qualified. I like the idea of being close to home for followup care.

I'm waiting until my surgeon apt to make decisions but I'm really hoping Dr. Baggs will see me as a great candidate for sleeve surgery.

Hi my fellow Kaiser budies! I hope that you all are having a great Thanksgiving!!!!!!

Here are some links that I wanted to share for you all and any new comers:

Richmond Medical Center, Bariatric Surgery

http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/39806.pdf

The Permanente Medical Group

Ok I also did a blog too! I have lost to talk about but I'm gona wait untill latter, for now-Good Night!

Hi my Kaiser Buddies!!!!

I have my Consult apt. for my Surgen, Nutritionist, and Psych. on the 16th. for Fremont Kaiser. I called and asked the receptionist which surgen has done the most VSG. She said that it was Dr. Christine Chu. Then she told me that they don't just give the VSG to anyone. So I told her that since I can not have the RYN because of my alergy to Tylenol and how I'm not fond of the band anyways that this is what I'm looking for. She said I could get my apt. schedualed if I wanted to so I said yes! She said it would be 3 hrs. long and I needed to bring a 3 day food log, all my viatamines, and my meds.

So today I have started my diet, mostly low carbs since it is hard for me to follow the low 1200 cal. one. I also took my boys for a walk (650 steps/.25 mile) and I will do 45 min on my Wii EA Sporst active today as well. For Breakfast I ate 3.5 hard boiled eggs, 1 low fat string cheese and 1/4 bannana. So far so good right? I'm thinking that they will say I need to lose 25 lbs which is 10% of my weight. How is everyone doing?

Ashley,

That's very exciting that you're having all of your appointments in one day! I can't wait to hear what the surgeon tells you.

I have my appointment with Dr. Baggs on 12/11/09. Of the three surgeries, I definitely want the sleeve. I know he'll try to talk me into the RNY because that's the one they perform the most of. I'll see how it goes.

I've been in NY and Boston for a week. I gained 5.2 pounds. I ate very sensibly but I did eat some carbs and put on weight immediately. Thanksgiving dinner was 1 plate of food with veggies on half the plate, with only a three tablespoons of carbs. My son and I shared food at every meal. When eating out we split an entree and a salad. It just shows me how quickly I react to carbs. We walked everywhere including several times a day walking home to his 6th floor walk-up in NYC.

So as of today I haven't lost any weight from my orientation a month ago. I'm back off the carbs and will really try to get those five pounds back off before my appt with Dr. Baggs.

I'm happy to see you doing so well Ashley!

Hi Lee! Glad to hear you are back and safely at that! I hear you about the weight gain!!!!! But I suppose who on this site doesn't. I'm excited that your appointment is coming so soon. I have been doing well on my diet during the day but I get caught up at night!!!! I really want to go into my appointment with a 5lb. weight loss...I can do that right? Hehehe!! I think that I am sold on the sleeve too. I just can't see getting the band and expecting problems within 5 years or less you know? And I can't have RYN so that leaves the sleeve huh! Well we can do this! Lets keep each other posted and accountable for our pre-op weight loss ok! Talk to you soon :)

Hi Ashley,

You're doing great! You can shed those 5 pounds before your visit. I'm planning on at least 5 down by my appointment on 12/11. This morning I was down 1.4 of the 5.2 I put on over vacation. I'm hoping that by cutting way back on the carbs and keeping calories low, I'll release the weight.

Kaiser weighs me 5 pounds heavier because of shoes, clothes etc.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I spoke with someone at the Kaiser Support group last night. She went in asking for the sleeve but was denied because there was no good reason to sleeve her as she can tolerate RNY or the Band. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when I see Dr. Baggs.

Keep up the good work!

Push for what you want Lee! I was told by the receptionist at the Fremont Kaiser that they don't just give the sleeve to anyone either, but if you know it's the best for you then I say go for it-Put up a good fight! Hey check out this link, it's letting me know that I am consuming way more carbs then I need to lol!!! Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com ...It's helping me keep a log, I have to bring one on the 16th.

Hi Ashley,

I'm definitely going to push for the sleeve. I need to be able to take meds if my Rheumatoid Arthritis ever flares again. I'm hoping that will be enough of a reason for them to allow the sleeve. Also, my mother suffered from Celiac Sprue, a malabsorption disease that is hereditary and I'm already showing signs of also having it. So maybe the combination of both will be enough for the doctors.

I've been sticking to 1200 calories since I weighed 5.2 pounds up on Wednesday. This morning I have only 1 pound left to shed to be back to pre-vacation weight. I'm hoping to be down a few more before my surgical consult on Friday.

How are you doing with your food plan?

It's finally 12/11/2009 and I get to meet my surgeon this afternoon. I'm ready with my list of questions and reason why I want the Sleeve and not the RNY or LB.

I hope I come back this afternoon jumping with joy at a good outcome to today's appointment!

I've taken off the 5.2 pounds I put on in NY over Thanksgiving. This morning I weighed in at 131.6 on my home scale, so I'm happy about that.

Lee-

I am so excited for you!!!! you will be in my thoughts all day so please post when you get back. I posted on the LapBand board yesterday, but I have been so busy lately! I have been doing my best with my diet, I just haven't been able to stay under 1200 cal. consistently. But I am doing good with avoiding bad carbs. My scale says that I am down 9lbs. but I think it's a liar lol! I am going to the Fremont Kaiser WLS support group meeting tonight, so I know they might have a scale and we will see! Hopefully I will get some more questions answered! Keep me updated :)

Hey Ash,

I had my appointment with Dr. Baggs this afternoon. I really like him a lot! I went with all my questions and reasons for why I want the Sleeve. Before I even had an opportunity to tell him why, he said that he thinks the Sleeve is my best option. Pretty cool, right?

I'm having my psych consult next Friday. Once I get to my pre-surgery goal weight, they'll schedule the NUT and Case Worker. He told me it looks like February or March for my surgery.

YAY!

lee, I am so happy for you! I'm replying on my Black berry so I will talk to you latter!

Hey Ash,

I had my appointment with Dr. Baggs this afternoon. I really like him a lot! I went with all my questions and reasons for why I want the Sleeve. Before I even had an opportunity to tell him why, he said that he thinks the Sleeve is my best option. Pretty cool, right?

I'm having my psych consult next Friday. Once I get to my pre-surgery goal weight, they'll schedule the NUT and Case Worker. He told me it looks like February or March for my surgery.

YAY!

I went to my apt. today and it was a bundeled appointment with the Nutritionist first, then Dr. Chu (My Sergeon), and then my Case Mgr. It lasted 3 hrs. My Nutritionist was impressed by my food logs which I just printed from myfitnesspal.com, and also was empressed that I lost 7 lbs since my orrientation on 11/22/09. She wants me to eat more carbs though!

When I saw Dr. Chu, she said that my goal weight was 225, which means that I have 18 more lbs. to go. Not bad, may take some time, but not a bad goal. So here is the big news she gave me though, I can not have RYN or the Band. Because I am alergic to acetaminophen, and must use a NSAIDs for any pain manegment, which will cause ulcers for the RYN (which I new) and also give me a high risk for errosion as well as ulcers for the band (did not know), that my only option is the sleeve at this point.

It was overall a good day and I think that I am going to do it. I got all of my recomended Vitamins and I'm getting ready to set my mind to it...