Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser - Richmond, California

Hello,

Has anyone here had the VSG performed at Kaiser Richmond in California? I went to an orientation last week and they mentioned that they now perform this surgery.

Thanks!

Lee

I'm going thru Kaiser in Southern California, and yes, they do offer the sleeve. It takes a long time though, as you are required to complete 5-6 months of Options classes (I think it was lowered from 24 wks to 20 wks now) and lose 10% of your weight before getting the surgery referral. Things may work differently in No. Calif., but that's what is required here. I'm on the waiting list for a surgery consultation now, and it feels like it's never going to get here. I've been at this since March, and my patience is wearing thin, but I try to remember that it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck to you on your journey.

Hello MB,

I think every program is different. I went to an orientation where the Doctor mentioned that Kaiser in my area now performs the VSG. I haven't met with a surgeon yet, so I don't know how many they've done, or how long it takes from orientation to surgery.

May I ask how you decided on the sleeve? I'm still in the research stage. I didn't really know anything about the sleeve until I started reading the verticalsleevetalk website.

I'm sorry your patience is wearing thin, but your weight loss thus far is terrific. I know that every pound lost makes the surgery that much easier. Congrats on your success!

Edited by Lee

May I ask how you decided on the sleeve? I'm still in the research stage. I didn't really know anything about the sleeve until I started reading the verticalsleevetalk website.

I actually started out wanting the LapBand, but as I went along, I started learning of many complications with restrictions, fills, ports, etc., and found that many people were converting from the band to the sleeve and that they found it so much better. Kaiser keeps changing their minds about whether to do band surgery anymore. They were on and off 3 times while I was in the Options program.

The sleeve sounded perfect for me because I'm so tired of being hungry all the time, and it will force me to eat smaller portions. The RNY didn't interest me at all...way too evasive with the rerouting of intestines, and I always thought that RNY patients look malnourished.

After reading this forum for so long, I don't think there is anyone out there who regrets their sleeve. So many people have said it's the best thing they ever did. After being so successful at losing my 30 lbs, I actually considered no surgery, thinking maybe I could do this on my own, but c'mon, who am I kidding? Ever since I fully decided to have the surgery, I'm very excited to get it done and start my new life. Now if only Kaiser would call me....

Hi, I am going through Kaiser Fremont, things have been moving along pretty good there (compared to some of the things I had heard about timelines) I am in the weight loss process and of 24 pounds to lose prior to the surgery being scheduled I have lost 10. I originally wanted the RNY, but due to Crohn's Disease my Dr. won't do RNY or Lap Band only Sleeve on me. I agree, everything I have read on this site is so encouraging, everyone seems to be very happy with their sleeve. this has been a great source of information and encouragement. Creatinglee best of luck and let us know how things are going.

MB, I too thought I wanted the Lapband, but as I read about so many who are converting from Band to Sleeve, I started thinking that the sleeve sounds much better.

I have to admit, there's something frightening about cutting away part of my stomach.

Nayna, I haven't seen the surgeon yet. I just went to orientation on 11/10/09 and I'll see the surgeon on 12/11/09. Do you know how much experience the doctors at Kaiser Fremont have with the Sleeve?

It's interesting that you talk about Crohn's. My mother had Celiac Sprue which is a malabsorption disease that's hereditary. While I haven't been diagnosed, I know I do much better without wheat, rye and barley in my system. I wonder if that will make a difference in my doctor's choice of what to recommend to me.

Are you at all nervous because the Sleeve is relatively new to Kaiser? I think that scares me just a little.

I'm very new to all of this. Unlike some, I haven't spent years or months researching bariatric surgery. My doctor suggested it a month ago.

Lee, I did have some some concern that it is a new procedure to Kaiser but was really more disappointed that I couldn't have the RNY, but after reading this website and other information I am very comfortable with the surgery. It did take a while to get my head around the idea of cutting my stomach away, but I did get there. I need help - I have tried to lose the weight for so long and have success only to be lulled into bad eating habits again and gaining the weight back. I think if I had the extra tool of limited space in my stomach I would be able to do it, still I know it will take a lot of work. I wish you luck with your appt. I think once you talk with the Dr. you will feel better - ask your questions....the Dr. I have is very good about answering my questions. All the best. Nayna

Thanks for the reply Nayna. I've been over a healthy BMI for over 35 years. I'm so done with this roller coaster. My fear with the sleeve is that it's so new at Kaiser. That said, I've just started the program so there's lots of time to think about my options.

Good luck and please keep in touch!

That said, I've just started the program so there's lots of time to think about my options.

You say you have an appt. with a surgeon already? I know things are different there, but that sounds unusual. Here we can't expect to see a surgeon until Options classes are complete and your referral goes thru. I've been at this since March and just yesterday I finally got a call that I'm now up on their waiting list and I will have my first consultation with the surgeon on 12/22.

I hope they've streamlined the process and you won't have to wait so long. It's very frustrating to wait for something you want so badly. Could it be that you're not seeing a surgeon but seeing the bariatric doctor who works with you during the Options program? Just curious.

MB, I was originally given an appointment with a surgeon five days after my orientation. I called and asked for a specific doctor who didn't have an opening until 12/11/09. I didn't think it would matter as it's only a first consult. I think that in the program up here you're expected to lose aprox. 10% of your weight before surgery. Once I've seen the surgeon, it's up to me to lose the weight, then things will progress to the next stages.

Have a fun day!

Hi Lee- Thanks for giving me the info on this sight, but now I'm torn as to what I want!

Nayna- I'm going to Kaiser Fremont too!

My fears are the same that this procedure is sooo new, but yet I keep seeing the sleeve conversions as well so that is scarry too!

Ash, the procedure actually isn't new. This was started as the first part of the Duodenal Switch (sorry about the spelling). It was being used on people who had too many health risks as a way to help them reduce weight until they could get the DS. Now the medical community is seeing this a a stand alone surgery. It's been performed for many years. I read an article and will try to find it and send it to you.

I think I'm pretty sold on this. At 59 I don't want multiple surgeries so I'm concerned about the LapBand slipping etc. Plus, I want to get this weight off ASAP. My goal is to be at a healthy BMI on my 60th birthday next October.

I'm glad you found this place! :)

Ash, the procedure actually isn't new. This was started as the first part of the Duodenal Switch (sorry about the spelling). It was being used on people who had too many health risks as a way to help them reduce weight until they could get the DS. Now the medical community is seeing this a a stand alone surgery. It's been performed for many years. I read an article and will try to find it and send it to you.

I think I'm pretty sold on this. At 59 I don't want multiple surgeries so I'm concerned about the LapBand slipping etc. Plus, I want to get this weight off ASAP. My goal is to be at a healthy BMI on my 60th birthday next October.

I'm glad you found this place! :)

I just wanted to add to what Lee wrote by stating that partial and/or full gastrectomies have been performed for decades upon decades for patients that suffer from stomach cancer, or major ulcers.

There are plenty of personal stories out there on the web about people who have had their entire stomachs removed, and they live long, and healthy lives.

And, Lee, you'll get to that healthy BMI. The sleeve is an amazing tool, and I'm so grateful that I was able to revise and get that dreaded band out of my body ! ! !

Lee,

The most information that I have been able to find on it was that it has only been used for like 10 years and there is no long term information on it. But the same can be said for the band too. I know that I do not want to do RYN. I like the idea of the band, but I too and afaid of slipage, errosion, slow to no weight loss after the first 40% (which is what I have read), the slimmy mucass issue along with acid reflux at night, port issues, and my body rejecting it. But with the sleeve I am affaid of it hindering the posiblity that I can not get pregnant in the future (like 5 years), the pouch streaching slowly over time and having to go to RYN, and leakage. It is much more invasive then the band. I am young and I don't want to have problems all my life. I am thinking on doing the band, and then if all else fails to do the sleeve. But I am still researching. I wish this was an easy decission!!!!!! Here is a link that I want to share with you that I found: VSGGuide - FAQs

I might be able to make it to the Richmond meeting too, but Im not sure if Im going to switch yet.

Lee,

The most information that I have been able to find on it was that it has only been used for like 10 years and there is no long term information on it. But the same can be said for the band too. I know that I do not want to do RYN. I like the idea of the band, but I too and afaid of slipage, errosion, slow to no weight loss after the first 40% (which is what I have read), the slimmy mucass issue along with acid reflux at night, port issues, and my body rejecting it. But with the sleeve I am affaid of it hindering the posiblity that I can not get pregnant in the future (like 5 years), the pouch streaching slowly over time and having to go to RYN, and leakage. It is much more invasive then the band. I am young and I don't want to have problems all my life. I am thinking on doing the band, and then if all else fails to do the sleeve. But I am still researching. I wish this was an easy decission!!!!!! Here is a link that I want to share with you that I found: VSGGuide - FAQs

I might be able to make it to the Richmond meeting too, but Im not sure if Im going to switch yet.

Just wanted to share that if you are obesityhelp.com, there are a lot of VSG'ers that are pregnant, or have already had babies on the pregnancy board over there.

I had the same concern, but felt reassured after reading how many patients who chose VSG had successful, healthy pregnancies, and lost their pregnancy weight faster than the band patients. Also, the complications that some of the band patients had during pregnancy were down right scary. Plus, my surgeon told me to wait just 12 months before we could try to conceive. It was the time period with the band.

My band went nutso on me when I had my period, I can't imagine what would happen if I had been pregnant with that dreaded thing in my body.

Also, one big misconception of the band that is rarely discussing, is that your anatomy is changed forever even with just a band placement. The band is not reversible (sure it can be removed, but at what cost?), it has the slowest, lowest weight loss results, and the maintenance is a nightmare for the majority of patients.

I'm a band to sleeve revision, and while I do not regret my band surgery, if I would of known the sleeve was available here, and that our insurance would cover it, I would of never had that band placed. Unfortunately for me, the band damaged my stomach severely in just 8 months, and believe me I followed all the rules, and still gained weight, lost restriction, and all the horrible things you hear about do really happen quite often.