Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Philadelphia,Pa/Montgomery County, Pa

Just trying to get some preliminary research done. I'm looking for recommendations for a surgeon in the Philadelphia/Montgomery county area. I will most likely be self pay since my insurance company(Keystone Health Plan East-HMO) does not cover Bariatric surgery. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I live in Montgomery County, and I had my surgery at Einstein in East Norriton with Dr. Dallal. Both the hospital and my surgeon have been great. They offer regular seminars on their bariatric surgery program, and they will give you lots of information to take home.

I also have Keystone Health Plan East, and my surgery was covered... maybe it's the specific plan, but you may want to double check. I only had to meet the requirement of a BMI of 40 or above (or 35 with comorbidities) for coverage. The folks in the program at Einstein will look up your insurance stuff for you at the outset to determine if you are covered.

Good luck! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!

I'm in the area as well and work with Penn Medicine. My surgeon is Dr. Kristoffel Dumon and surgery will be at UPenn Hospital (although there are other options of hospitals within the same practice). I'm about half way through my 6 month pre-op period. So far I love the team with Penn Medicine (my primary doctor is with Penn medicine as well). I'm able to do my monthly appointments at the Valley Forge office (which is only 15 minutes from my work) and the cardiologist is right there on the same floor so all my cardiac testing was done the same day as one of my monthly appointments with the NUT/surgeon. The sleep study consult is also right there in the same building. I'll have to go to the office in Philly for my 5th appointment but only because the psych evaluations are done at that office and I can have it done right after my normal appointment.

There are monthly support group meetings at several locations (each has a slightly different format/style). I really like the ones held at the Perelman Center in Philly - the first hour they bring in a speaker to talk about a particular topic and then the second hour is more open forum. And those meetings get a good mix of pre-ops and post-ops at various stages, even some post ops that are more than 5 years out.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patients-and-visitors/find-a-program-or-service/bariatric-surgery

I'm going through Penn as well, in my case Pennsylvania Hospital at 8th and Spruce. All my appointments, including the psych screening, have been right there. I'm pretty impressed with the program so far. I'd contact them/go to an info session (they have many at many locations in the Philly area) - someone from my insurance co. told me I couldn't have the sleeve, and the Penn coordinator said that was incorrect and they'd sleeved many people with my insurance. A lot of people who work for insurance companies are unknowlegeable about their own policies.

I had my bariatric surgery done at Einstein bariatric Center. I can't say much for their ongoing support after surgery, but I will say this: my surgery was smooth, uncomplicated, and effective. I have had no complications, and I was treated very very well in the hospital. They have three different surgeons I think, that you can choose from, and these surgeons have been reviewed online by lots of people. In the Philadelphia area Einstein this definitely known to be one of the better hospitals.

Thank you all for your input! I will be attending Einstein's seminar this Weds. afternoon and Penn 's on April 14. Hopefully they can shed more light on the insurance requirements.

I attended Abington information session on Thursday and I have an appointment with Barix in Langhorne next Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello...I am having Surgery at the Barix in langhorne. .Dr.Marymore....How,was your experience.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I went through Einstein Medical Center, Montgomery - Dr. Dallal.

I was not impressed with many aspects about the office itself. However, I totally trusted Dr. Dallal. He came highly recommended by a friend who is also a physician. I decided that the office staff was not the one operating on me it was the surgeon.

All testing including cardio can be done on site.

The hospital staff in the operating room and the third floor where I recovered were fantastic!