Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating has become a problem

Lan,

I add egg whites (well beaten) into my cooked Cream of wheat. just stir them in when the cream of wheat is done and the carryover heat will cook the egg whites. It adds about 3 1/2 gms Protein per egg and I honestly can't taste a difference. It seems to make them creamier...but then again..I add pumpkin spice Creamer to it anyway..lol

just another idea!

Tracy

Lan - I have an idea -- have you ever considered hypnotism? There are licensed hypnotherapist around, a friend of ours is one, but he's in Nevada. One may be able to help you get over your repulsion with food - its something in your subconcious and that is where hypnotherapy focuses ... it's just a thought and I hope you don't take it offensively, I'm really, truly concerned about you and your health - you can't get what you need from only eating cream of wheat. If you need help locating one, let me know and I'll check with our friend and see if he can help.

The burning definately sounds like acid reflux. Your surgeon should have you on nexium (Rx) or prilosec (over the counter.)

Ask your surgeon if he found a hiatal hernia and if so did he repair it??? If you had a hiatal hernia and if it wasn't repaired at the time of your surgery you will have much worse acid reflux than people usually get after VSG.

Lan,

I add egg whites (well beaten) into my cooked Cream of wheat. just stir them in when the cream of wheat is done and the carryover heat will cook the egg whites. It adds about 3 1/2 gms Protein per egg and I honestly can't taste a difference. It seems to make them creamier...but then again..I add pumpkin spice creamer to it anyway..lol

just another idea!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy adding egg whites for additional Protein sounds like a good idea...will try.

Lan - I have an idea -- have you ever considered hypnotism? There are licensed hypnotherapist around, a friend of ours is one, but he's in Nevada. One may be able to help you get over your repulsion with food - its something in your subconcious and that is where hypnotherapy focuses ... it's just a thought and I hope you don't take it offensively, I'm really, truly concerned about you and your health - you can't get what you need from only eating cream of wheat. If you need help locating one, let me know and I'll check with our friend and see if he can help.

Of course I take no offense. I'm just not sure if I need hypnotherapy...yet! Each day seems to be slightly different than the day before. I am able to eat, for example shrimp if I chew it well I can eat about 5 med-large. I am able to eat some cheeses, sometimes chicken, fillet of sole or other soft white fish. Spinach, green Beans and broccoli work for me as do mashed potatoes. I am just not ready for a multitude of other foods and I think it's partly fear. I am sensitive in general, and this surgery really shifted my senses, who would of thought I'd no longer like the taste of fresh cold Water or the flavors chocolate, vanilla and strawberry? I don't get it. Time will tell and I am so grateful for your concern and will keep in mind your suggestion should things not improve within the next month or so.

Of course I take no offense. I'm just not sure if I need hypnotherapy...yet! Each day seems to be slightly different than the day before. I am able to eat, for example shrimp if I chew it well I can eat about 5 med-large. I am able to eat some cheeses, sometimes chicken, fillet of sole or other soft white fish. Spinach, green Beans and broccoli work for me as do mashed potatoes. I am just not ready for a multitude of other foods and I think it's partly fear. I am sensitive in general, and this surgery really shifted my senses, who would of thought I'd no longer like the taste of fresh cold Water or the flavors chocolate, vanilla and strawberry? I don't get it. Time will tell and I am so grateful for your concern and will keep in mind your suggestion should things not improve within the next month or so.

Lan -

Sounds like you are doing much better - that is quite a variety you can eat and I understand your hesitancy to try new things - I sometimes get "stuck in a rut" because I know what goes down easy, etc. Try adding in one new thing a month. However, I think you've got a great variety going on and certain enough options to get good Protein from.

Lan -

Sounds like you are doing much better - that is quite a variety you can eat and I understand your hesitancy to try new things - I sometimes get "stuck in a rut" because I know what goes down easy, etc. Try adding in one new thing a month. However, I think you've got a great variety going on and certain enough options to get good Protein from.

Thanks VegasAngel, It's beginning to sink in that actually enjoying eating is going to really take its time. I am just looking forward to the day when I can eat something I enjoy and afterward not need to pull up my bra because it's leaning across my esophagus, and/or have the need to stand raise my arms, and burp away, to ease the discomfort. I'd just like to be able to say yum that was good and just enough...and move on from there. I also hope that my love for Water will return as well as for many other tasty and textured things.

It does get better, REALLY! I remember when it was hard to eat,

and I lived on chicken salad out of a can.

Now at 7 months, I can pretty much eat anything. Sometimes not much, but I do feel satisfied.

It does get better, REALLY! I remember when it was hard to eat,

and I lived on chicken salad out of a can.

Now at 7 months, I can pretty much eat anything. Sometimes not much, but I do feel satisfied.

It's wonderful that you are in that place now Daisy. I hope we'll all be there with you and.....soon!

no way!!! no mash and gravy. I'm going to sa in 2 weeks haven't been there for 2 years and was looking forward to the mash because I'm also only 1 mnth out and thought it would be good to eat. I will have a try anyway because everyone is different. Hope it is ok. ha ha ......the things we look forward to!

mash is mashed potatoe and gravy. We have it only in south africa as far as I know and it is a hot favourate! People love it. It is made by KFC.

I am so sure I had "mash" at KFC in Orlando on my last visit. Glad however to report that the MASH is now sliding down, as a matter of fact as the group predicted healing makes eating easier.

A observation that someone in the group might be able to explain. With the band I would not touch dry food. chicken was a guarantee to a sliming episode for hours at end, yet it seems to me that the opposite holds true with the sleeve. Dry food gives me no trouble what so ever (obviously in very small quantities).

Another quick question is the liquid in liquid out problem. Although it's no longer a massive problem I explore caves for a hobby, when I finally reach the surface Water tastes like heaven in a bottle but the next day I will suddenly suffer from a upset stomach ?????

Slightly annoying if you are in the bush with no ablution facilities. Any surefire remedies -

I am one month and 20 days out - down 16.6 kg's - (36 pounds)

I'm glad to find out "mash from Kentucky" was mashed potatoes and gravy. The only mash from KY I had heard about was sour mash bourbon whiskey and I thought I knew why the resulting burning sensation! :lol0:~

Edited by bigtex52