Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating has become a problem

Hi All,

I am now 4 week post-op and I am finding it near impossible to get food down. I would make a egg, and eat a little of it after which I will "burp" for the next 20 min and feel terrible.

Tonight I had mash from Kentucky, but three teaspoons full and this was followed by the worst burning sensasion I have ever felt. It felt like my stomach was on fire. I manage to stop the sensation by sipping on tea (took about 60 min)

At a meeting this weekend I picked up a crisp from the treats table, thought I would see what it does, and no problem what so ever - I did not even feel any discomfort.

Obviously I am not doing the eating thing right. I was banded prior to sleeve and learning the eating pattern was easy, what am I not understanding - please help :biggrin0:

Any idea's on the cause of the incredible burning sensation would also be appreciated, first time I ever experienced this and that after such a small amount of mash ? It really felt like my stomach was on fire

Thanks in advance

Andre

I cant help you with the burning sensation, I havent really had that. But I am at 3.5 weeks and also having a hard time eating at all. I was doing better 4 days ago than today.

They say the stomach swelling is at the most by week 3-4, so maybe that is causing it?

thank you for the support. I found a site which made reference to "byle" which could cause the burning sensation. Either way the burning is gone for now, but would hate a repeat.

Are you taking anything for stomach acid? Dr Aceves said that I should take my Nexium Mups twice daily as I have to take APAP meds for the swelling in my knee and that will put added stress on my stomach. He requires that his patients take the anti stomach acid meds for at least 4 months. I wonder if you guys are having that type of problem?

As for me, I am still on full liquids--I am falling in love with creamed soups--today's variety is Jason's Deli-tomato basil, broccoli cheese and french onion. Yummy!

I'm not sleeved yet but I am banded and I know that many people that have had bariatric surgery complain of inability to tolerate eggs. I personally get stuck on mashed potatoes every time UNLESS I drink with my meal (not a good idea).

eggs seem to go down if pan fried "over easy" or poached...but scrambled or in omelette's is an excercise in futility.

It makes sense that the "crisp" (not sure if that's a cracker or a cookie) would go down easily...it's more highly processed, nearly pure carbs and will dissolve easily with just normal saliva.

IMHO,

Tracy

Hi All,

I am now 4 week post-op and I am finding it near impossible to get food down. I would make a egg, and eat a little of it after which I will "burp" for the next 20 min and feel terrible.

Tonight I had mash from Kentucky, but three teaspoons full and this was followed by the worst burning sensasion I have ever felt. It felt like my stomach was on fire. I manage to stop the sensation by sipping on tea (took about 60 min)

At a meeting this weekend I picked up a crisp from the treats table, thought I would see what it does, and no problem what so ever - I did not even feel any discomfort.

Obviously I am not doing the eating thing right. I was banded prior to sleeve and learning the eating pattern was easy, what am I not understanding - please help :blush:

Any idea's on the cause of the incredible burning sensation would also be appreciated, first time I ever experienced this and that after such a small amount of mash ? It really felt like my stomach was on fire

Thanks in advance

Andre

I don't know what mash from Kentucky is being up here in Canada, but if you eat things that cause that burning sensation, chew several Tums or the chewable Calcium that acts as an antacid and see if that helps. Follow with a few sips of milk (skim of course). That should put out the fire!

Yes crackers go down super well, if you do that, at least use whole wheat crackers (low-fat, low sodium preferred) so there is some food value there and spread some low fat cream cheese on it or salmon salad to get in more Protein. Makes a nice meal, three or so of those. Try eggs another week and if you do, make it a poached one. Must treat you new sized tummy like a baby - go slow with new additions, and at 4 weeks you are still in the early stages - have you tried fat-free cottage cheese yet? I eat it with chili to control the heat - works like a charm and is high in Protein as well. Goes nice with chopped up peaches.

Hope this helps,

Donna:001_cool:

I'm 3 months out...it will get better:thumbup1: I was having terrible heart burn from eating, taking the vitamines, drinking...etc...eventually, it stopped...Your intake right now is very limited...3-4 bites was challenging initially for me...soups were very good. I would get a small cup and sip it...maybe 4 oz. String cheese was also very very good and easy. Hang in there...it really will get easier.:blush:

Thank you everybody for the help. I think I must have had a heart burn attack of a nature never experienced before and maybe mash (South African) will be on the "do not touch" list for now.

I put myself on heartburn meds, my Doc is still very new with this procedure but will consider staying on it for a longer period (did go off it two days ago).

Love the idea of the salty cracks with some cottage cheese. It's funny I am in perfect health and I suppose that is why I expect more than what my body can actually deliver.

Back to the "old school" for now. After all I do have my entire life to eat, a few months is not a killer - lol

Thanks again everybody

Andre

Most everyone has to be on an acid reducing medication for at least 6 months following sleeve surgery. I am past 6 months post op. I tried to go off them and got a terrible stomach ache. It's not worth it. I am back taking my medication and I see no reason to stop it.

I had a really hard time switching over from liquids to solids. Don't rush it. In the beginning I could only eat 2-3 bites. I got my Protein from Protein drinks and in between, I tried a few bites of soft foods and eventually it got easier. I think it takes longer than we think for our new tummies to heal.

I think alot of my success was I enjoyed the "honeymoon" period.... thats the firsts few months where you are not hungry- I worked it to my advantage, and this soon out you shouldn't be ding the crackers and carbs. They will continue to make you hungry and then it become harder.

They are "slider" foods..... will not fill you up, but will be calories you don't want.

I take nexium, but not everyday. I used it for about a month everyday- then weened myself... I just use it now when I feel the heartbrun beginning... and it seems to stop it quickly.

it does get better- and easier to eat, so make the right food choices now- at the early stage of the game. then it will be second nature to eat the right foods.

Egg and meat just by themselves seems to be difficult for me too. What goes down well: all kinds of Soup, also with meat in, chewed well; yoghurt and those things, stews, even salads now as long as I eat really slowly (a plate of lettuce, cucumber, Tomato, sweet corn and red peppers takes over half an hour to eat). You just need to try a small bite, wait a while and see how you do. From what I've gathered it's very much an individual thing. Good luck, it does get easier!

I am four months out and still have problems with some foods. especialy beef. I eat chicken, pork, yogurt, cheese, some eggs, oatmeal and cream of wheat. Oh yes, tuna goes down easy as well. I'm still doing Protein drinks in order to get my 60 grams of Protein in.

My doctor explained that at least his sleeves are basically two straws side by side. That's small and narrow. After he explained that, I was able to understand better.

It does it better but some days are still harder than others. Hope this helps!

Mutti,

I must say, if you can tolerate all that variety of Proteins at 16 weeks out....you can easily live without beef..! lol I hope I can handle that much variety by that point.

I am approx. 2.5 months out and the only thing that I can predictably eat with little problem (except I can't eat a whole packet), is cream of wheat Instant Healthy Grain (Whole grain). It has 7 grams Protein per packet. I add 1% milk and a tablespoon of real maple Syrup or organic cane suger. Sometimes I sprinkle about a tablespoon of Jay Robb vanilla whey protein and mix it in there to up the protein. Almost every other kind of food, even string cheese are repulsive to me. Maybe the cream of wheat will help you.

Let me be clear that I have to pick just two things a day to eat. I've been told that I need to add veggies and fruit but they just don't feel good.

A co-worker of mine can eat everything.... bread, fruits, veggies, pizza. No me.... to much grease (fat) or sugar will send me to the bathroom for several hours.....

So just be aware that I really have to watch my combination of Proteins. My doctors office is pleased with my progress because my hosptial stay and the first two weeks were really hard. My husband was scared to death. I couldn't get any Protein in and could verily get 32 oz of liquids in.... As I said in another post - sf popicles were my best friend (should have had stock in blue bell sf popiscles).