Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm confused. :confused1: ( I always am!) I'm on day 3 post op, and I can't tell what's hunger?? Is that normal?? My tummy grumbles and just feels really swollen. Will the signals become more clear? I figure I must be hungry. I haven't eaten since Sunday night, and all i've eaten was 156 cals yesterday. Is this common? I get a burning sensation in my stomach sometimes (like the way it felt when I was hungry) except I have no mental desire to eat.

Bah.

RubyTuesday,

I had my surgery just last Thursday. I started on Clear liquids on this past Saturday.

Just from my little experience, I did NOT worry about whether I was hungry or not. I am just constantly trying to be hydrated. I alternate pretty much between Water and chicken broth. If my stomach can handle it, then I drink. If it's not feeling too good - too many gurglings, too swollen-feeling, feeling full, something, then I take a break from drinking.

Today as a matter of fact, when it sounded like hunger pains, I did not "feel" hungry but went ahead and had some broth. And like you, I have no "mental" desire to eat. The gurgling did subside. So, I guess I was hungry but again no connection to my brain. It was weird the first few days. But, since last Thursday I have lost 5 pounds and I think "I can lose weight as long as I don't feel hunger." Incredible!

I don't think "calories" matter right now as long as you are not drinking sugars. I think the point right now is to not dehydrate and letting your tummy heal.

Just my two cents.

ReadytoMaintain

Edited by ReadytoMaintain

I am 9th day post operative, I do felt hunger and was thinking about food first 2-3 days after surgery then it subsides 100%, I don't feel hungry at all. I hope this shall last forever. good luck to you too.

You guys are definitely right about that. Have you had problems with diarrhea?

I have wet stool because I am only drinking Water and broth - and it comes out right one time. I really don't like to call it diarrhea because I think diarrhea is really when I put something SOLID into my mouth and my body then pushes it out as watered stool unexpectedly- THAT's diarrhea to me. :confused1:

But aside from that, yeah, I got really wet stool. I have read that once we start with the more firmer food that it will subside.

Also, I second Sweetie333 thoughts about not thinking/wanting/hungry about food. My husband last night ate a Tombstone pizza. Love them! But, hardly smelled it at all. And once I did, I was not even thinking "got to have some!". Just went on about my business. My tummy didn't give a growl as it would have done in the past. I wasn't even hungry for it. Of course I miss it, but I am waiting for the right time once I am healed. And I am loving the fact that I won't be eating the WHOLE thing!

I think that is the key, huh? To BE HUNGRY for the food. Not just smell it and want it. Revelations for me that I could NEVER achieve previous to the sleeve.

It's amazing.

ReadytoMaintain

Same for me! I do have some head hunger- I passed by Taco Bell today and thought, man that would be good! BUT I RESISTED! Score one victory for me! And it wasn't like I felt deprived for resisting. I just felt like, "eh, I don't need that." I'm still having a hard time with the signals of my body. I can drink 8 oz of carnation instant Breakfast in about 30-40 mins. And am wondering if this is abnormal?

I think it's pretty cool we're going through this close to the same time!

-Ruby

I think it is great that we are going through it at the same time. It's very comforting.

As for instant Breakfast, I don't know about that product as I have been on Clear Liquids only by my doctor. Within 30-40 minutes doesn't sound absurd. I probably do that with Water - drink, full, wait, drink, full, wait, etc.

Also, I don't have a problem waiting for real food when the time is right. I REALLY don't want to get a leak. I hear it can happen all the way through 6th week. I'm being careful and cautious.

ReadytoMaintain

readytomaintain. you know I am not hungry but at the same time I wish to be done with the first 6 weeks and proceed with having a normal life...eating just small portions. patience patience patience,,I am trying to distract myself...by work..intense shopping! and reading ..my doctor told me to drink 2 oz every 30 minutes...I don't do that..I can take more ,,just wait seconds between my sips,,is this ok?

Sweetie333

I hear ya. I do too especially with the holidays coming around but, alas, I will be working on my patience as well. It's not a virtue of mine, actually.:mellow:

I think you are ok. I actually think that I can have the same as well within the same amount of time. And because you are sipping and sipping, you are never really going to "feel" full. But, I can drink 3/4 cup of broth, feel full, wait 15 minutes, and then drink another 1/4 -1/2 cup. I feel full again at this point. Then onto Water after about 20 minutes. I do this on purpose because I want to know what the "full" feeling with the new stomach feels like so that when I transition to food, I will know. It may be different and then again, it may not.

From what I have been reading, it will be different once we start to eat solids.

ReadytoMaintain

Guys you are all normal! Ruby you are normal! You have no idea what your stomach is saying because it is speaking a new language and it doesn't even know what it wants right now. I remember 7 days out I felt something in my stomach. I told my husband "I think I am hungry." He was like "You don't know?". Now I do. Then I didn't know.

156 calories early on is normal. Some days on clears I had less than 100 calories in a whole day.

Is your Carnation instand Breakfast the sugar free kind? Also liquids in liquids out. Many on the board have had trouble with loose stools.

Edit: Oh that burning sensation? Are you on an acid blocker? You need to be. I don't think you should be having burning feelings!

It IS the sugar free kind.. but do you think it's maybe intolerance to the lactose. It's just so strange to have no idea what my body is saying to me. I'm taking pepcid, but I read on the forum that you actually have to take it 30 mins PRIOR to eating. And I have definitely not been doing that. I did it today, and I had no problems with that burning feeling. I just desperately want this to work, and don't want to screw it up. It's kind of overwhelming! (plus I'm paranoid because they didn't check for leaks post op- you know the military, and wouldn't tell me how big my stomach was)

RubyTuesday,

I had my surgery just last Thursday. I started on Clear Liquids on this past Saturday.

Just from my little experience, I did NOT worry about whether I was hungry or not. I am just constantly trying to be hydrated. I alternate pretty much between Water and chicken broth. If my stomach can handle it, then I drink. If it's not feeling too good - too many gurglings, too swollen-feeling, feeling full, something, then I take a break from drinking.

Today as a matter of fact, when it sounded like hunger pains, I did not "feel" hungry but went ahead and had some broth. And like you, I have no "mental" desire to eat. The gurgling did subside. So, I guess I was hungry but again no connection to my brain. It was weird the first few days. But, since last Thursday I have lost 5 pounds and I think "I can lose weight as long as I don't feel hunger." Incredible!

I don't think "calories" matter right now as long as you are not drinking sugars. I think the point right now is to not dehydrate and letting your tummy heal.

Just my two cents.

ReadytoMaintain

Right, calories don't matter at the beginning, and feeling hungry or not does not matter, you MUST get in at least 70 ounces of Fluid to avoid becoming dehydrated, which can put you in the hospital, and predispose you to a blood clot. Sip Sip Sip, all day long, small sips with burps in between.

If you urine is dark instead of pale yellow, you are dehydrated.

That's the truth, sweetie! How are things coming along for you?