Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise help here, please!

MNB: 18 lbs in a month is great! My weight loss slowed also. You won't continue to lose weight at the same rate you did right after surgery.

As far as working out at home with DVD's and feeling no guilt about stopping, how about being true to yourself? Don't do this for anyone else. You are cheating yourself. Love yourself enough to go that extra minute. Don't start working out until your doctor says it is ok to do more than walking though.

Also it gets easier to work out the lighter you get. I feel different now at 164 than I did at 204. Much more motivated and able to work out so much longer. I did 35 mins of target ab work last night :party4: Me? The fat girl who huffed and puffed going up one flight of stairs 3 months ago? The great thing about working out is you can see results the smaller you get.

As far as working out at home with DVD's and feeling no guilt about stopping, how about being true to yourself? Don't do this for anyone else. You are cheating yourself. Love yourself enough to go that extra minute. Don't start working out until your doctor says it is ok to do more than walking though.

you're completely right! however i was just explaining how working out at home doesn't work for me. It's not like i'm proud of stopping when i start excersising that's why i think going outside and jogging would work better for me cause my feeling easily embarrased and feeling like everyone is watching me would probably force me to not give up as easily as i would in my livingroom... hopefully:001_unsure:

the scale has finially awoken!!!!!2lbs in 2 days and one of those two days happened to be thansgiving! who would have thought? i thought i would have been 205.6 forever... But i'm sooo happy, just 1 day before my 1month sleeve anniversery and i can finially say i lost 20lbs my 1st month, yay!!!

happy thanksgiving to all

Edited by mnb

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

20 pounds is an escellent start! So very proud for you! Isn't it a wonderful feeling???

And it just gets better!!!:001_rolleyes:

you're completely right! however i was just explaining how working out at home doesn't work for me. It's not like i'm proud of stopping when i start excersising that's why i think going outside and jogging would work better for me cause my feeling easily embarrased and feeling like everyone is watching me would probably force me to not give up as easily as i would in my livingroom... hopefully:001_unsure:

I fully understand how you feel. Sometimes I get sad reading posts because our self esteems have been so battered we don't even love ourselves enough to do something for us! Try and introduce new thinking every single day. Tell yourself how awesome you re for taking care of yourself. Over time you will learn to love yourself again and it will come easier to work out.

Edit: I by far have NOT conqured my self loathing demons. I just take baby steps every day.

I'm about 3 and 1/2 months out and I exercise 5-6 times a week. There is a Curves right next to where I work so I go there during my lunch break 3 days a week. The other days I do a lot of walking or pop in a Denise Austin dvd. She's so perky, I love it!

Ash, I want to try the Zumba. Where do you find that? I use to do jazzercise for years (at 245 pounds I was a sight:biggrin0:) but the leader retired, then it just wasn't the same. This woman was 60 and had the body of a 25 year old.

I try to look at exercise like an experiment. To see what my body can do. It's truly amazing to see what the human body is fully capable of. And the energy afterwards is incredible. I'll drag myself there and an hour afterwards I'm full of energy. It's great!

DUDE!! i don't know if anyone will care about what i have to say but i'm so excited i have to say something about it. Since my last couple posts on this thread, I have been blessed with some kinda of fire that lit under my ass. I was so nervous that i would never be able to get into the work out spirit and stick to it, and then my weightloss will slow down and possibly stop;or even worse- WEIGHT GAIN!!!

and then something hit me... I don't have a decent pair of sneaks to workout in!

last time when i posted about doing my workout dvd i actually used to do it in my furry pink house slippers,lol.

My theory was, 'why wear sneakers if you're in your own house.' but now i know why.

SNEAKERS!!!When i got some basic women's reebok sneakers, i felt like popeye with his spinish. i felt ready to run a marathon.

the dvd had 1- 2 -3 mile video levels when i tried it earlier i would do the 1 mile and i never would finish it.

SOCIAL WORKOUTS!Another thing i started to do was i got a partner to do the dvd with me. And i would have been totally mortified if i stopped in the 1st 5-10mins the way i used to.

my friend would come mon- friday afternoons and we would do the dvds together.

How my workout habit have changed: NOW The days when my friend can't come over i do the dvd by myself! i do th 2 mile level ( but i usually end up stopping alittle past 1 1/2 miles but i get closer and closer to finishing the whole2 miles) with almost no stopping. Omg a good cardio workout before just used to get me frustrated and tired now it pumps me up when i start to feel a burn i catch myself yelling and grunting with adrenalin. it's so fun! and when my face is covered in sweat i swear i feel so accomplished.

WEIGHT TRAINING now i catch myself challenging myself even more than the dvd does. i add in moves to increase the intensity of my work out. And then i just decided to add weights i work my arms with 5lb weights 30 reps of biceps triceps and armpit muscles ( cant remember scientific name) before and after my cardio and it feels so good when everything is done.

I have definately gotten past the need to use my embarrassement of others watching me to work out. Now i have and i can workout with or without people being around. and sometime i feel the urge just to start working out out of nowhere i swear i think i'm starting to love working out. i read my last couple post about working out before and it's almost like a whole other person i swear EVERYDAY i just can't wait until i find some time to work out, and now when i do it i kill it.

and it all started with a pair of sneakers, i love it...

i think when i master the art of the walk away the lbs dvd i'm definately gonna try the p90x and see how that goes.

i can't believe my lazy ass is actually turning into that "workout girl" i can't believe that's who i'm becoming and i'm stoked.

WOW mnb!!

Your post even has your excitement in it!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did so much better the first few months after surgery- now............ I just can't seem to start. I was walking........... that ended........ stretching........ ended........ I just can't seem to get motivated in the exercise department.

Where did you get these "magical" sneakies???? LOL

Great post.... maybe it will "shame" me into working out!!

I want those new sneaks that say they make your butt and legs look better - something to do with tightening up everything when you walk ... those are the magical sneaks I want!

Me too Vegas! They are the Reeboks. I wonder if they really work? I think I am finally going to go to the YMCA and check out what they offer and how much. I'm soooooo close to goal, but I'm still such a couch potato!

Lol, perhaps if you did thousands of squats and lunges in them, your legs would look better. But sad to say, this one's a bit of a gimmick, sneakers alone are not going to make your legs look much better.

I have a pair of MBT's and they are BRILLIANT for wearing for recovery after a really really long run (when I was training for my half marathon and runnign 15kms and more), they stretch out the overworked muscles and really help to prevent soreness and pain in my heel, and especially stop my lower back tightening up and getting sore.

so they do do something, they certainly change your posture and balance, but to tone your legs, sad to say, you have to WORK, not simply wear particular shoes and walk around.

Luckily, I have really nice firm legs, but figured if they helped tone the muscle, what the heck ... I don't need new sneaks yet, but when I do, I'll check them out - they at least look like they give you good support which I definitely need.

WOW mnb!!

Your post even has your excitement in it!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did so much better the first few months after surgery- now............ I just can't seem to start. I was walking........... that ended........ stretching........ ended........ I just can't seem to get motivated in the exercise department.

Where did you get these "magical" sneakies???? LOL

Great post.... maybe it will "shame" me into working out!!

:mad0:damnit vsg didn't email me and tell me when others wrote on this thread. what's that about?....:glare:

whatever anyways

chancie- believe it or no they're just simple reeboks woman's running shoes but i can't believe i'm still keeping at it. with the working out. i haven't skipped any days or anything. I did kinda have a minor set back t with last week though.

i call this story...

OUCH!!!:scared0: So you know how i'm totally excited about actually working out,sticking to it, and actually liking it:w00t: So every second i'm always trying to find a way to intensify my routine. So last week i decided i should do some leg toneing.So i basically do 30 reps of everything including squats.

When i was done i was so proud of myself.

So i wake up the next day My legs literally felt like noodles!I actually took like two steps out of bed to use the bathroom and fell to the ground. For about 2 days straight i couldn't even bend my legs to sit on a couch, i had to fall straight back into the couch like i was doing one of those trust fall excersise,lol. man it was painful.

BUT!!! I still worked out through the pain. i still did the walk away the lbs vid. just with alot less intensity.

And now i have mastered the 2mile walk in the video:thumbup:

i started off barely making it to 1 mile than later 1 1/2miles now i do the 2 mile EASY (well maybe not easy) but alot easier and then i do the cool down at the end of the dvd. I don't know but i'm really starting to get the hang of this working out thing.

And i'm telling you even though i was skinny in school i never had stamana.i grew up with bronchitis and acute asthma. And i was always that girl that held everyone up from playing kickball cause i was the last person to finish doing the mile jog in gym class,lol.

I couldn't even go to theclub and dance without falling out in like a minute,lol

and now i'm doing this 2mile in less than 1/2hour without stopping.

I'm really poud of myself actually.

BEST ADVICE EVER!!!:w00t:And one of the best things you can do to keep things going which is probably the main thing that kept me going was Get a friend/ workout buddy. Maybe find someone on vsgtalk in your state or closer to your neighborhood, or a trainer(if your a millionare).

Cause In the beginning their were a few days i just wanted to skip or stop. but ididn't cause i knew i had someone spending their hard earned gas money to come over. earlier When i would work out alone if i stop short, or skipped a day or two it didn't bother me cause i only was hurting myself.

But the thought of inconveniencing or disappointing others alone would motivate me.if it wasn't for my partner i probably wouldn'thave gone this far.

but trustme when you do finially able to stick to the work outs your gonna love it and it's gonnabe hard to want to stop i promise you chance.

good luck chancie.

OUCH!!!:scared0: So you know how i'm totally excited about actually working out,sticking to it, and actually liking it:w00t: So every second i'm always trying to find a way to intensify my routine. So last week i decided i should do some leg toneing.So i basically do 30 reps of everything including squats.

When i was done i was so proud of myself.

So i wake up the next day My legs literally felt like noodles!I actually took like two steps out of bed to use the bathroom and fell to the ground. For about 2 days straight i couldn't even bend my legs to sit on a couch, i had to fall straight back into the couch like i was doing one of those trust fall excersise,lol. man it was painful.

This made me laugh out loud. I was in college about 10 years ago, when I got on Body for Life and did squats for the first time in my life. I did the whole routine, no problem.

The next day, I, too, fell onto the floor when I got out of bed. I was trying to go up and down the stairs on campus, and literally looked like a crazy person, extending my leg out to the side, while I grabbed onto the rail for dear life, trying to make it to the next step.

Then, a tornado hit Austin, I was home alone in my apt which was right off the highway, which was where the tornado was basically heading down. I couldn't move fast enough with my legs, so I literally dragged myself across the floor, and into the closet, with couch cushions dragging along with me.

Anyway, so moral to the story....take it slow on squats, if you haven't done them in while. LOL