Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise help here, please!

Hey all,

Being 3 months post-op, I feel great. But I haven't exercised at all. I have an elliptical and I've tried to use it, but am exhausted after only 2-3 minutes! I am such a couch potato! How do you motivate yourselves to get up and go? And what do you do when you can't tolerate it? Help!:frown1:

If you're going to use your elliptical, i'd highly recommend cardio coach - www.cardiocoach.com for an interval style program that you can play on your MP3. OK, so you will have to build up to it, but there's spots all the way through to cut off your workout if that's all you can do.

Seriously, it makes the time fly.

What you have to do is start out much more lightly/slowly than what you're doing so that you can keep going for a more reasonable period of time. I'm a runner, but to learn to run I had to slow my running to what seemed like ridiculous speeds - I could walk faster! But it built the endurance and the right muscles and got me to where I needed to be. Cardio coach will get you in touch with the sensations of exercising, let you know when to go hard, when to rest etc, its a really great program that will get results, and you can start out with an easy one and purchase harder ones later one. Its pretty cheap, about $15 for an instant download.

I have to do it in front of the tv. I plan my exercise according to what I want to watch on tv. Start out slowly until you can build up more resistance. Intervals are good too. That is where you go up and down on the resistance.

I cannot wait to get back on my treadmil. It has a fan and everything. I will do it in front of the TV, during a show I like, that will take away the boredom. Right now, at 11 days post, I am not supposed to "exercise" so I walk outside alot, not working up a sweat but breathing hard by the time I quit. I have met a few of my neighbors that I had only known by sight before. Kinda nice. Try walking instead of the elliptical? for awhile anyway?

I have done none either and I know I should. I keep thinking about it....My surgery included all my ab muscles being stitched and overstitched after suffering a huge hernia some years ago and I am still very wary of doing anything despite my surgeon telling me I can! I can't afford to go to the gym and I can't be bothered to go out walking the streets on my own, I can't afford a Wii Fit this year and I hate housework! I have got an excuse for it all! Have said I would start light jogging but can't even afford a decent pair of trainers at the moment!

I do one of two things. I watch TV and put a towel over the time on the elliptical so I can't see a thing -- sometimes it really helps to not see that time ticking away.

Other times I do the exact opposite...I use the timer to play a "game" - like for example I will turn the resistance up to 10, do that for 30 seconds, turn it to 9, do that for 30 seconds, and so on. It helps the time pass to do such a thing!

HTH

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try them and see what works best for me. Maybe just starting by walking outside (it's beautiful here in phoenix right now) and see how that goes.

I really like walking too. Also, if you are a social person you may want to check out the offerings through parks and recreation in your area, that's how I first discovered Jazzercise a couple years ago. I've also started tap dancing again and am thinking about adding a beginning salsa class this winter, but I'm a social exerciser...it really helps me stay motivated.

I totally HATE exercise. . would rather have a root canal, but i know i have to do it. . i'm not sleeved yet, but don't want to be sick. . . what i do everyday (except for Sat and Sun) is include my workout as part of my job. . . I leave my job at 5pm and drive home, but on the way I turn the other way (about 10 miles from my house) and go straight to the gym. . . cursing all the way of course you know. . . i do my treadmill at 3.2 mph for 45 minutes and my random hill stationary bike on level 9 for 15 minutes and go home! I literally run out of the gym! But the next day i do it again. . . i've been doing this for quite some time now and must have the best BP on the earth. . . last doctor appt (last week) was 110/64 HR 69 . . . not too shabby. . . guess it pays off. .

Helen, comeon! you must have a television? there are a ba-jillion different exercise programs on at all hours. find one. use it. no trainers needed. I have found one the you do while sitting in a chair. The music is fun and all you need is a out of breath feeling for awhile. In the US you can go to the public library and get videos for free for a few weeks and them take it back and get another. They are/can be kinda fun. No one gets to see you in dumb poses. HA! anyway stop with the excuses, we know them all, we made them up before you. ha again!

Ha ha I know I know! We don't have lots of exercise channels, err.... we have a very small house with no room to jump about, err...we have no television.................Anyway, why would you want to bounce around your living room when you can sit and slob out??? Only kidding, I shall ask Santa for a Wii Fit and see what he comes up with lol!

wow. wait till you getsleeved! you are gonna look fab. I am envious. I just joined gym yesterday. can only do 5 min on bike.

Thank you carolyn. . .I don't know if I can really say I'd look fab. . remember I'll have alot of loose skin (which I wish wouldn't happen), but thank you, you are so sweet to say that! How is your gym venture going? 5 min on the bike is better than no minutes at all. . . imagine you are doing 5 minutes of exercise that you were not doing before! Good for you. . . keep up the great work. . .have you tried walking on the treadmill? Maybe start at 2.5 mph for about 15 minutes. . . get a good sweat going. . . you'll be sore, but feel so good

Wow, a post I can really relate to. OK, I admit it, I am Ruthi and I am a no exercise aholic. I admit that I hate it and use every excuse in the book to NOT do it, until this morning. This morning I actually got up at 4:15 AM and went to the gym and did 40 min of exercise on the treadmill and some resistance training machines.I worked until I was sweating, then went to shower and got ready for work. I did this because I gave myself a major talking to this weekend. I was deeply ashamed of myself for putting out so much money for this surgery and then not doing whatever it took to give myself the maximum health benefits. I was the epitomy of LAZY. It was time to stop. GEEZ even my gym membership was paid for. I went out and bought extra makeup and deordorant, soap and hair products so I could get ready for work from the gym. Then I laid out everything I needed ahead of time so all I had to do is wake up,let the dog out, put on my gym clothes and grab the bag to head out the door. I made it easy to get out of the door this morning and left no reason for an excuse and it worked. I felt emensely proud of myself and I plan to do it again tomorrow. NO MORE EXCUSES. I know I could do the exercising at home but I needed to be at the gym because once there, I felt more compelled. I went back to more basics with my eating aslo. For me, once one thing gets out of control, it seems everything slides back into the old bad habits. Thanks everyone for the post. I will let you know how I am doing on this endeavor.

Wow, a post I can really relate to. OK, I admit it, I am Ruthi and I am a no exercise aholic. I admit that I hate it and use every excuse in the book to NOT do it, until this morning. This morning I actually got up at 4:15 AM and went to the gym and did 40 min of exercise on the treadmill and some resistance training machines.I worked until I was sweating, then went to shower and got ready for work. I did this because I gave myself a major talking to this weekend. I was deeply ashamed of myself for putting out so much money for this surgery and then not doing whatever it took to give myself the maximum health benefits. I was the epitomy of LAZY. It was time to stop. GEEZ even my gym membership was paid for. I went out and bought extra makeup and deordorant, soap and hair products so I could get ready for work from the gym. Then I laid out everything I needed ahead of time so all I had to do is wake up,let the dog out, put on my gym clothes and grab the bag to head out the door. I made it easy to get out of the door this morning and left no reason for an excuse and it worked. I felt emensely proud of myself and I plan to do it again tomorrow. NO MORE EXCUSES. I know I could do the exercising at home but I needed to be at the gym because once there, I felt more compelled. I went back to more basics with my eating aslo. For me, once one thing gets out of control, it seems everything slides back into the old bad habits. Thanks everyone for the post. I will let you know how I am doing on this endeavor.

**Stands up and waves, Hi, I'm Tiffany and I hate exercising**

But, like you today, I decided to do something about it. I joined our YMCA that is literally 1/2 mile from my front door. I just can't get motivated at home even with all the weights, and crap in the garage that the husband uses 6 nights a week. He is so determined, and motivated, but I would rather not unass the recliner. So, I'll pay the $39 monthly membership fee as motivation to get off my hiney, and go work out.

We can do it, we need to keep each other motivated as much as we can.