Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello my name is Alley and I live in Southern California. I am researching a good doctor for the procedure if anyone has any suggestions all will be appreciated! Thank You:tongue_smilie:

Hello my name is Alley and I live in Southern California. I am researching a good doctor for the procedure if anyone has any suggestions all will be appreciated! Thank You:tongue_smilie:

Hi Alley, welcome to VST. We're so happy to have you here.

Are you a self-pay or will your insurance cover your surgery?

I was a self-pay and opted to go to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali Mexico. Lots of us on here have had our surgery with him and he's top-notched and AWESOME. They will pick you up in San Diego, drive you to the hospital for your pre-op tests, drive you to the resort for the evening, pick you up the next morning, back to the hospital for your surgery where you will spend 3 nights/4 days in the hospital and then drive you back to San Diego.

If you're insurance will pay, I have heard that Dr. Cirangle in San Franciso is totally awesome too.

I am sure others will have suggestions for you too -- you need to research, research, research and be comfortable with your decision.

You want a surgeon that has performed over 300 sleeves with very small % of complications. I know that Dr. Aceves has performed over 700 with no complications and that he is FACS certified.

Thank You I am seeking referrals because the best was to know the doctors any good is if he has people wanting to refer him! so much research done daily.... I am self pay

The majority of us here had our sleeve done by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. We are all thrilled with him, and his staff and the hospital. If you are a self pay, I would not go to anyone else. He is extremely experienced and better yet, he is a wonderful man.

I am flying to San Diego on Thursday for Dr Aceves to perform my sleeve on Oct 30. I will be happy to share my experience with you. I am not nervous at all--just raring to get on with my life.

Hi.. I am new to the forum but not new to researching this procedure. I have heard good things about 2 doctors in Mexico but want you to know there is one in Michigan that is the first surgeon to preform a bariatric surgery lapriscopically and his package even if you are self pay is 11,200. His name is Dr. Mark Pleatman and I am having surgery with him on the 17th. He has done over 200 now and from everything I found on him a very talented surgeon. Personality a bit quiet.. straight to the point.. office staff is great.. but when it came down to it for me I just want a surgeon that knows what they are doing and how to fix it if there was a problem.. less "lovey" personality was ok with me. Hope this gives you another alternative if you don't want to leave the states and... my Aunt had hers done in Oceanside area.. will get the name if you want.. was about 18,000.

Good luck!

:)

Hi Shutterbug - I am also seeking Dr. Pleatman for my vSG - my bmi is a bit on the low side (32-33) so I am a self pay... Wanted to ask you if Dr. Pleatman conducted a leak test. His YouTube video only tested the stomach specimen which was removed - not the sleeve remaining in the body. I assume his theory is that if the staples are tight on the disposed stomach - the remaining should be fine - but..gees, who know if a staple didn't catch properly, etc. Why wait for a fever or rapid heartbeat to develop. I am flying in from New England - and couldn't stay in MI for 6 weeks for a wait-and-see period.

Can you extend on any advice on your experience regarding leak tests, and his overall treatment of your VSG?

Thank you in advance - your advice is greatly appreciated.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Dr. Pleatman does a leak test while still inside but I'm not sure if it's on the portion removed or the portion left inside. What I can tell you about Dr. Pleatman is that he is very experienced. He is a surgeon, not as personable as his office staff but for me the bottom line was that I wanted a good surgeon versus personality. He makes himself very available by cell phone and email and called me on my way home from the hospital to check on me. I liked that. I too, was wondering about the leak test and I didn't come out with a drain tube either so was expecting that. They watch you pretty close in the hospital and I suspect if you need a test they do one before you leave and if you are going to leak they know in a few days...but honestly if you go to his site and on the top left.. it says contact us.. it will send an email he answers most of them himself and I would ask about the leak test directly....

Overall treatment has been good and for me the first 2 days of recovery were hard, but not in the form of surgical pain..that is surprisingly low. I had the gas go up in my chest and that made it really painful to swallow anything. I was nauseated the 2nd day but I think I had worked myself up into a tizzy was very restless and they had talked about sending me down for a leak test but didn't do it because Dr. Pleatman said I would be much sicker if I was leaking... so I guess that is a good guide-line to go by..

Dr. P is the first guy to do any bariatric surgery lapriscopically and had done far more than any other doctor in my area I think you are in good hands but please do ask any questions.. he likes to answer them... keep me informed... when is your surgery?

Some motivating news.. I'm on day 4 post op and able to get 6oz of milk with Protein powder in.. as well as I have lost over 12 lbs. My hubby is cooking right now and it smells good I miss chewing but I'm not that tempted to eat... I believe this sleeve has saved my life and I'm glad you are considering it too.

Good luck to you.. stay in contact and I will answer your questions as I experience them.

~Chandra

Hi all,

im sitting here in my room at the hospital in Mexicali. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos are fantastic..I had the surgery on Thursday and will be heading back to San Diego tomorrow before the long flight home to nj on tues.

This place is incredible...TOTALLY different from a US hospital in the sense that it is tiny...and people truly care! I think I saw the dr.s at least 4 times a day...one of them even picked up starbucks for my hubby in the ams...I would have no hesitations about sending anyone here for treatment..

I paid 8750 for my surgery and all of the travel to/from san diego and hotel room. He also sends you home with some of the meds you need.

Best of luck with your journey.

k

Hi all,

im sitting here in my room at the hospital in Mexicali. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos are fantastic..I had the surgery on Thursday and will be heading back to San Diego tomorrow before the long flight home to nj on tues.

This place is incredible...TOTALLY different from a US hospital in the sense that it is tiny...and people truly care! I think I saw the dr.s at least 4 times a day...one of them even picked up starbucks for my hubby in the ams...I would have no hesitations about sending anyone here for treatment..

I paid 8750 for my surgery and all of the travel to/from san diego and hotel room. He also sends you home with some of the meds you need.

Best of luck with your journey.

k

Artteacher,

Isn't it incredible, the high quality care you get in Mexicali? US Hospitals could take lessons from them. Drs Aceves and Campos have the rare combination of outstanding skill, and phenomenal bedside manner...they are just real, caring people who love what they do. Glad you experienced it too.

Keep in touch with us all on the forum.