Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

headaches after surgery

Hello friends,

I was just wondering how many of you all had headaches after your surgery? Mine was terrible the last 3 days. But, it would only hurt if I would bend my head forward or try to lean forward.

I went and had my blood pressure and sugar checked yesterday. They were normal. No more BP meds. for me. Yeah!

My headache is easing up this afternoon. I called my Dr. back and was told it was probably from the spinal anesthesia. And also from the pressure on the long flight. I am also waiting to hear back from Gabby. Thanks everyone for you concerns.

Yes, it does sound like what we call a "spinal headache". I've had those before with spinal anesthesia and had to go to the emergency room where they actually take some blood from you and "plug" up the hole from the spinal injection site. The headache is almost relieved instantly. . . those h/a are the most horrible ever! here is a bit of info on it. . . . .

A spinal headache can occur as a result of a procedure such as a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) or epidural block (such as that performed during a woman's labor and delivery). In these procedures, a needle is placed within the fluid-filled space surrounding the spinal cord. This creates a passage for the spinal Fluid to leak out, changing the Fluid pressure around the brain and spinal cord. If enough of the fluid leaks out, a spinal headache may develop.

Because the design of spinal needles has been improved, spinal headaches after a spinal tap or administration of spinal anesthesia are rare. When epidural anesthetics are placed with a larger needle than that used for spinal anesthetics, however, the likelihood of headache is higher if the epidural needle should inadvertently pass through the dura matter (covering of the spinal cord).

A spinal headache may occur up to five days after the procedure is performed. Such a headache may be prevented with bed rest after a procedure.

What Are the Symptoms of a Spinal Headache?

The spinal headache often is described as "a headache like no other." Spinal headaches are much more severe when the person is in an upright position; they improve when the person lies down.

How Are Spinal Headaches Treated?

The first course of treatment for spinal headaches involves supplying adequate hydration to try to increase cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) pressure. Sometimes intravenous fluids (fluids administered into the veins) are given; other times the person is advised to drink a beverage high in caffeine. Strict bed rest for 24-48 hours is also recommended.

In addition, if a person develops a spinal headache following a procedure, the anesthesiologist can create a blood patch with the person's blood to seal the leak. To administer a blood patch, the anesthesiologist inserts a needle into the same space as, or right next to, the area in which the anesthetic was injected. The doctor then takes a small amount of blood from the patient and injects it into the epidural space. The blood clots and seals the hole that caused the leak.

I had the headache from Hell with morphine and anesthesia and when I had epidural as well. Am still unsure whether or not it was combination or any single drug to blame. This last op I was crying so much from the pain of the headache that I had to tell my husband not to allow my visitors to come. In the end they stopped the morphine and gave me a different non-opiate based painkiller but I felt really grotty for a while.

Hopefully you will feel better once it's out of your system.

Helenxxx

Thanks for the info. That was really helpful. I finally heard back from Gabby. She said my headache was not normal and must be stress related or I must be getting a cold. I don't have a cold and this is not a stress headache. I do feel a little better tonight and hopefully it will be gone soon.

I didn't have any problems with headaches following my surgery. I hope yours continues to get better, if not, I would definitely have it checked out.

Hello friends,

I was just wondering how many of you all had headaches after your surgery? Mine was terrible the last 3 days. But, it would only hurt if I would bend my head forward or try to lean forward.

Eek Ky, that sounds awful!

I didn't have any headaches after surg. (Kind of surprising as I had cut down severely but hadn't quite given up caffeine on the pre op diet). My ears were weird from the flight for days tho. How are you today?

When my sinus allergies are really bad I get a headache that's much worse when bending forward. Do you have allergies?

Ivy

Hi Ivy,

Good to hear from you. I'm better today. I do know my headache was from the spinal. The pressure from the plane only made it worse. I don't have any allergies.

How are you doing now Ivy? I have been feeling a little head hunger. Was even dreaming I licked all the flavoring from a whole bag of Doritos. LOL

Oh Ky.Hen - you make me laugh! Us Canadians have our Thanksgiving this weekend and I was dreaming of licking all the food! Luckily family is all away this weekend so I can have my Soup in peace and not embarrass myself! I am glad you are feeling better - I have found Gas-X has removed most of my bloated feeling so I hope that it continues. Take care.