Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you shocked by how much others eat?

I am only 2 weeks post op so my eating amount is very small ,but geez I never noticed how much food my hubby eats!! He has dinner and then a little bit later a snack, and then maybe a dessert before he goes to bed. I have to bite my tongue not to say...."Oh my gosh are you eating AGAIN?"...lol :001_tt1:

Oh my gosh, I am the same way. It is especially noticable when we go out for dinner. I will be done eating and it hardly looks like I touched my plate. Then, I look around at everyone else's plates and they are virtually empty. I am shocked to think I used to eat that much too!

lol I completely understand. The other day I went out to lunch with 2 girlfriends. I just got a side dish of refried Beans. They got these big mexican lunches. I probably only had 8 bites and got a to go bag. There plates were clean ! Oh I used to eat just as much... maybe more!

I'm not sleeved yet, but when I get into my "moods" and get really disqusted with myself I turn those Discovery Health TV when they have the super obese on and watch how much they eat. . .they actually show close ups of them putting food into their mouths. . . I get so grossed out. . . but i'm quilty of the same thing. . . that is what made me this way. . .

I am only 2 weeks post op so my eating amount is very small ,but geez I never noticed how much food my hubby eats!! He has dinner and then a little bit later a snack, and then maybe a dessert before he goes to bed. I have to bite my tongue not to say...."Oh my gosh are you eating AGAIN?"...lol :glare:

Yes, it is amazing when you see how much others are eating ... and when it's someone you are living with ... you definitely have to bite your tongue not to say anything. I am also amazed how huge the portion servings are - generally Bearded and I can share a meal and we'll STILL have leftovers - usually enough for at least one more meal, generally two. And people wonder why the US is so FAT!

We went to the beach this past weekend. I splurged and got some she crab Soup from a favorite restaurant. Oh it was good but just a little too rich. I had some and froze the rest for another day. I used to be able to finish the soup and then eat the main course!

I know exactly what you mean! I used to be shocked by how much my friends and family ate when I had my band though as well. You really do notice it, especially when they are piling their plates up and eating all of it. I think how can you eat all that?? The only problem we have now is that when we have eaten out my husband is finishing things off for me

so that no comments are made about me not liking the food (you know what I mean?) etc etc and I told him that whilst I am losing weight he will be putting it all on!

I think it has helped my family to eat more healthily though as I am buying in less rubbish and cooking far smaller portions that before! We shall see. I don't want them to have to go what I went through and keep telling them that. It's becoming as much as a problem in the UK as it is in the US now and all we ever hear about in the media is the 'obesity crisis'.

Healthy eating and exercise are the answers aren't they, but easier said than done for a lot of us eh?

Definitely easier said than done, Helen. Like you, I do believe my family is also eating a bit better as well. I no longer buy all the junk that I used to, and they haven't complained about it at all.

Is soo true, I been out to eat with friends and I am like how in God's earth was able to eat that much and then some. I am so happy with my sleeve!

Oh my gosh, I am the same way. It is especially noticable when we go out for dinner. I will be done eating and it hardly looks like I touched my plate. Then, I look around at everyone else's plates and they are virtually empty. I am shocked to think I used to eat that much too!

I was just thinking how much money I'm going to save on groceries. How I'll never have an expensive dinner check again. My husband eats normal portions (not HUGE) when we go out to eat, and always has food left. We will be able to share our food from now on, with no problems...how nice to think about the savings.

He is already talking about the things we will be able to do, like hiking, walking, swiming, dancing etc. He wants me to get in a tree stand with him while he's hunting. We won't be sitting on our butts watching TV every night. I'll walk my poor puppies more often. And have so much more energy, I CAN'T WAIT.

I'm not sleeved yet, but when I get into my "moods" and get really disqusted with myself I turn those Discovery Health TV when they have the super obese on and watch how much they eat. . .they actually show close ups of them putting food into their mouths. . . I get so grossed out. . . but i'm quilty of the same thing. . . that is what made me this way. . .

I watched a TV show, that had the daily intake of a 600 lb. woman, and it completely cover a table top. Her stomach had to be the size of basket ball. I watch "BIG Medicine" sometimes...it is so sad to watch. Because so many don't make it. But "THE BIGGEST LOOSER" is very inspirational. It always makes me cry, because I can relate to every thing they go through.

Bearded and I went out to Applebee's last Saturday -- our total bill was $10.00 ... he had a Raspberry Iced tea, otherwise it would have been like $8...and we had leftovers! Tonight we grilled chicken breasts and have 1/2 left! And we are saving money on groceries now and don't have any junk food in the house ... we do however spend a lot on SF popsicles!

Oh gosh yes - even four years banded when my appetite and food intake has normalised a lot from the early days i find it amazing what people can put away and how FAST they can eat. I like eating as slowly as I do, it makes food much more enjoyable.

What amazes me more though is how I can do the exercise I do, eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day and not be stick thin. All the charts say at my actitivy level, height and weight I should be eating about 2,800 calories a day! There's no way I could, I got fat on eating less than that.

I'm the "BAD" one here:cursing:.......I spend MORE on groceries now!!:bored0:

I even bought a freezer- mine had gone out last year- I get online and find all kinds of good "healthy" recipes- oh- that sounds good- buy the stuff and hardley cook it LOL

I don't buy "junk" but if I want to cook- I know I have the good stuff here!

As for the qquestion about how much people eat- I'm more amazed at how much I USE TO EAT:eek:

It was nothing for me to be on my day off- stay up until all hours and cook a steak- baked potatoe tons of sour cream- and still want more! I could eat two whoopers and think nothing of it!

I LOVE MY SLEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!!!!:lol0:

I feel the same way. I am amazed at how much people pack away. I look at my husband's portions and I am thinking "uhh you could go with half that and be fine". I don't say anything though. I have stopped him from eating my leftovers though. He has a slight weight problem and does not need my extras. When I am done I run off with it and put it down the garbage disposal or put it in my little 3 oz ziplock containers. I love em: GladWare Containers

I buy the smallest ones, 4 oz. Filled to the top they are perfect for a meal.