Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico vs. US surgery

Im going to Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in mexico Nov.10 Anybody else been there?

:help: I am going to Dr. Alvarez on Dec. 8th. PLEASE let me know how you do!

The hospital was old but very clean. The Doctor was great. Id do it all again there no problems. :thumbup1:

Your PCP needs to join the 21st century -- when I told my PCP he was all for it and said he would be more than happy to continue treating me afterwards. I never felt like I was "risking my life" to cross the border or that I was anywhere near "desperate" to get medical treatment. Dr. Aceves is FACS certified - as many surgeons in the US. Alamater Hospital was cleaner than any hospital I have ever been in in the US and the treatment received by the nurses and doctors was instantaneous - not push a call button and HOPE a nurse would show up or not push a button more than once and then have a nurse with an attitude show up to "help" you.

I know some believe Mexico to be a 3rd world country; however, at least in Mexicali, the medical facilities were top notch, as was the staff.

Hi Susan... Can you PM me who your PCP person is here in Las Vegas. The person I have now was a NIGHTMARE to work with when I was having trouble with my band, they used every single opportunity they could to bash me and having gone to MX. My complications happened nearly 3 years AFTER having the band placed, and it was due to a faulty product (band leak - Thanks and GRRR to Allergan, ugh).

Any insights you can share would be great... being that we're both here in Vegas. I am still considering going back to Dr. Aceves for a sleeve, but am also looking at one doc here in town.

Thanks again for all of your insights and support here on the boards! :lol0:

Youknowit- I'll PM you with my PCP information. It's hard to find good, competent doctors here in Las Vegas - and working in med mal for the past 7 years, has really tainted me, so when I find a good doctor, I hang on to him/her and share that information with anyone who needs a good doctor. Hope this helps!

I had my surgery done in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Miguel Zapata last month itself....I had gone for my surgery to MTY from NJ mainly due to cost issue and did a lot of research before deciding for the doctor. I know many of you would think that you might not get the quality treatment in Mexico as you get in your own country. It might be true for some other doctor but not for Dr. Zapata. I opted for Dr. Zapata because he workd out of a JCI hospital and he had an excellent track record. Sleeve demands the least maintenence of all weight loss surgery, which was another factor in making my decision to go to Mexico.

I was just reading through this thread and came across yours noting that you worked in medical malpractice. When I was a legal assistant back in 1999, I also worked for a medical malpractice DEFENSE attorney. Small world.:thumbup:

Youknowit- I'll PM you with my PCP information. It's hard to find good, competent doctors here in Las Vegas - and working in med mal for the past 7 years, has really tainted me, so when I find a good doctor, I hang on to him/her and share that information with anyone who needs a good doctor. Hope this helps!

i definitely think you need to get more info from Nina, who's Dr Aceves patient coordinator, please give her a call she'll answer all your doubts, she really helped me make the best decision. goodlucl!!!

Nina Eguia

Patient Coordinator, Dr Aceves

888 344 3916 toll free

nina_eguia@yahoo.com

Dr. Aceves has never had a leak and does 3 leak tests. I am going back to him to have my post op tests. I have no desire to go to my pcp regarding anything related to the sleeve. I could always go back to my band dr. if I had some sort of emergency, but I honestly can't imagine what that would be. Dr. Aceves makes sure you don't have complications before you leave the hospital.

Just a question here - how do you know for sure that Dr. Aceves has never had a leak or complication? Is that something that you have heard or do you know this for sure? Not that I think Dr. Aceves is not telling the truth or anything, but people have told me that Mexican doctors "hide" patients with complications or deaths. I know someone who worked for a plastic surgeon here in the States and she said that they had to fix things that Mexican doctors did all the time. Granted - there are good and bad doctors everywhere, but I am a bit of a skeptic when I keep hearing that a certain doctor has never had a complication when he has supposedly done thousands of surgeries. Don't get me wrong - Dr. Aceves is my first choice if I need to go to Mexico for this surgery; I just want to make absolutely sure that things are not hidden and he is as good as everyone supposedly says he is. As a matter of fact - how do we know that his patients on here are actually patients? Just asking...

I am one of Dr. Aceves' patients, so I know what I'm talking about. IF he was hiding anything, and I doubt that he is, how would we know? We wouldn't. However, the real patients on here can attest to their complete lack of complications with this surgeon. I don't feel the need to protect or support him; his work stands on its merit. You should do your own research if you are planning on going to Dr. Aceves and not listen to other people anyway. It matters not to me which doctor you choose. I know from the vast number of patients on this board and over on the Yahoo board plus OH, Dr. Aceves is one of the BEST bariatric surgeons in Mexico. A friend of mine just went to him for the sleeve surgery. Before he made his decision he had his USA Kaiser doctor check out Dr. Aceves' reputation, stats, etc., and his doctor gave his blessing on Dr. Aceves. We'll presume that doctors have access to more "insider" information that normal people. Yes, there are good and bad doctors everywhere, with no shortage of bad doctors in the USA. If someone is quoting you "bargain" prices in Tijuana on plastic surgery, gee, guess what? I'd pass on that, wouldn't you? Same with any kind of surgery. There are also excellent plastic surgeons in Mexico -two that I can think of - who do excellent work. You learn these things by word of mouth; these doctors don't advertise cause they don't need to. That's how you know if they're good or not, by the patients who've gone and their results. OK? You've asked and I've answered.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. That certainly was NOT my intention. I am just trying to be as thorough and cautious as I can. Like I said, Dr. Aceves will be my choice if I go to Mexico (I'm dealing with an insurance issue right now and whether or not they will cover the VSG and what my co-insurance amounts will be is my deciding factor).

I know that there have been a lot of people on here who have given Dr. Aceves praise, as I am sure he deserves. I just wondered how anyone could truly know if something is the truth about a doctor (ie, no leaks). I didn't intend to sound as if I were giving criticism.

The actual patients are the ones who know. You were questioning whether the people on this board were actual patients (or?? people trying to get business for Dr. Aceves??) I know of no one who has attested to his good work who is not an actual patient or know actual patients who've had great results. As for your co-pay, I would expect it to be around $5K depending on your insurance. If you have Kaiser (as my friend did) they told him expect to wait about 2 years for all the hoop-jumping you have to go through before approval. If your BMI is below 40 and you have no co-morbidities, then forget it. Funny how in the USA 40 is the magic BMI number, whereas in Canada and Mexico, it's 30. Guess this country just wants a lot of fat people instead of healthy people, at least from the insurance companies' point of view. That's very sad. Anyway, NO, I wasn't offended and was't getting on you. You should do your research, talk with actual patients, etc., until you're satisfied. IF YOU HAVE TO GO TO MEXICO, go to Dr. Aceves. Yes, there are other doctors, but he is the best. The surgery is done in a private hospital - not a clinic - with round the clock nursing staff who mostly speak English. Everyone who goes there raves about how clean it is, how caring the staff are, and how great the doctors are. You can't beat it - even in the US. Trust me. Been there and done it.

People have accused me of working for Dr. Aceves because I recommend him so highly. Over half of the people on this board have gone to him, and he could not hire all of us to prise him as much as we do, or he would go broke.

I have a friend who lives in Phonix which is only a 4 hr. drive to Mexicali and she is a nurse. She has watched him in surgery many times. It's because of her that I went to him. I respect her opinion and I knew she would not steer me wrong.

I don't think it would be possible for everyone on this board and Obesityhelp.com to praise him so highly and have not one person say one bad thing about him, if it were not all true.

Just a question here - how do you know for sure that Dr. Aceves has never had a leak or complication? Is that something that you have heard or do you know this for sure? Not that I think Dr. Aceves is not telling the truth or anything, but people have told me that Mexican doctors "hide" patients with complications or deaths. I know someone who worked for a plastic surgeon here in the States and she said that they had to fix things that Mexican doctors did all the time. Granted - there are good and bad doctors everywhere, but I am a bit of a skeptic when I keep hearing that a certain doctor has never had a complication when he has supposedly done thousands of surgeries. Don't get me wrong - Dr. Aceves is my first choice if I need to go to Mexico for this surgery; I just want to make absolutely sure that things are not hidden and he is as good as everyone supposedly says he is. As a matter of fact - how do we know that his patients on here are actually patients? Just asking...

I'm an Aceves patient... but you're right, you can't prove I am (or not) and I guess unless I show you my discharge docs, I can't prove it either (of which, if it might help you, I'd be happy to scan them in at work tomorrow, and email them over to you). Nonetheless, I think a healthy skepticism on any discussion board is a GOOD thing. :kiss2:

I cannot find it here on the boards right now (perhaps someone with a longer memory can help) but Dr. Aceves stats are very good... in fact, if you ask them, they WILL give you hard facts, like if they have had any deaths (2) or any complications (depends on specifics). I read here on the boards, and have been told by Nina that they have had 2 deaths EVER, I believe they were due to severe comorbidities? Additionally, from my own experience, I can't say if anyone else has ever had a leak... HOWEVER, I know they did indeed do 3 leaks tests on me, and I know they biopsied the removed stomach, as they reported the test results to me (of which I have H.Pylori bacteria that must be treated).

All in all, I would say again that it's important to be open minded, skeptical, and smart in your research on here, and elsewhere.

Best to you in your journey. :scared0:

Edited by youknowit