Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Monday, hope my liver is good to go

So I started this Journey in Feb weighing in at 430 pounds. For the last two weeks I have been on a high Protein, low carb low fat 1200 calorie diet. I know weight 395 pounds. I have done pretty darn good over the last two weeks but of course still nervous because what if I did not do enough.

Basically I had a Protein shake for Breakfast and lunch and a protein choice meat for dinner with a salad or vegetable. Also I could have had a 100 calorie snack at night but I chose not to do that or if I did had another Protein Shake or something like that. Now with my work schedule I have kinda rearranged the order at times but I think I have remained within the 1200 calorie limit.

I have 3 days left. I ended up having for breakfast this morning a round steak on the grill. Only reason I did that was because I only had a tuna sandwich wrapped in a lettuce leaf from Jimmy Johns and two salads later on. Sandwich was only about 255 calories. I used fat free french dressing with my salad.

Well I want to make sure over the last 3 days, well more like 2 because I cant eat on Sunday cause my surgery is Monday that I stay really strict.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Wish me luck!

Don't worry Stimpy. It sounds like you have done just fine. Your surgeon will have trouble finding your liver, let alone your stomach!!! You have really cut down on fats and that's what your surgeon wants. I have seen programmes where the patient has cheated all week on burgers and fries and all sorts and surgery has still gone ahead. I'm not advocating that though as the surgeon has known straight away and had difficulties. But he won't with you so stop worrying. It's a tense time for you now but good luck and let us know how you get on.

Helenxxx

Stimpy, you have done a great job with losing weight, so I am sure your liver will be just fine. Good luck to you on Monday! Please let us know how things went as soon as you feel up to it.

Stimpy - you've done a great job in 2 weeks -- I am sure your liver will be great and that the surgery will proceed without complications -- keep us posted!

Really, even losing 10 lb. is enough to make a big difference in the liver. Your liver should be fantastic with your weight loss.

Hello fellow Yooper Michigander from a troll.

Good deal for Monday. You're diet is a lot more relaxed than my pre-surgery diet. I am basically under 800 cals per day, pre-set up packets, for 14 days, then a one day special liquid diet the day before surgery. Then today I had to have a CT scan because they found a blob on my lung in the x-ray, but all is good. I am cleared for surgery. Except it took them four pokes to get the IV started for the procedure. Tough skin!

You go! It will happen and we will see you on the other side!

Hope things go excellent:thumbup1: for you. My husband is scheduled to have the sleeve done here in Dallas this Tuesday. You guys will be starting about the same point.

kaykay, you need to get your hubby on here too! We would love to talk with him as well. And, I think you are awesome for being so supportive of him.

kaykay, you need to get your hubby on here too! We would love to talk with him as well. And, I think you are awesome for being so supportive of him.

LOL! Well, maybe I can! I am much more of a "forum-er" than he is though. I post on 2 other (regular, NOT weight related) forums and I haven't managed to get him to join me yet on those. He does do Facebook!

Yeah, I think a lot of this, though, will be important for me to know since I will obviously be the one helping him through this.

Tell him there are several other men on the site - he won't be the only one - and we promise not to pick on him too much -- LOL ... only kidding - he needs to know about this too -- and you knowing about it is great as well... WELCOME

I'm the infamous missing husband KayKay is referring to. I had the same concerns about the diet leading up to the surgery, but I guess all went well for me to. I lost 18 lbs. the last 2 weeks. I was supposed to do mostly shakes but I just did those some times and tried to be careful and avoid all fatty foods. I understand the purpose is to make sure the liver loses it's slick fat exterior so it is easier to move out of the way during the surgery. I'm now on the back side having had surgery 6 day's ago. The diet after is much harder than the one before They have me on Clear Liquids 50 oz. 1 week, full liquids 60 oz for 2 weeks then soft baritric for 3 weeks. It's going to be a long time until I will see real solid food again.

Fencepost, it's good to hear from you. You sound like you are doing ok. It's good that your wife is so supportive. She will help you get through the rough Patches. Keep us posted. Judy