Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, it looks like I've got more time than I had hoped for to research and think about this. My insurance tells me I have to be on their plan 36 months before I can qualify. That means next May. They didn't mention this before. I asked them to send me a copy of their rules, so hopefully no more surprises. Sort of makes you wonder, though... what other conditions require you to pay for insurance for 3 years before you can qualify to use that insurance? Oh well. I waited this long - I can wait an extra 6 months.

MacMadame's comments about the long-term studies makes sense. But, again, I think it will come down to the insurance. When I asked them about VSG, they hadn't heard of it. Only bypass and lapband. It's bad enough they don't cover it, but they hadn't even heard of it??? And they're the ones making the decisions about our health care?? (sorry - ranting...) Economics prohibits me from doing something insurance won't cover. So I'll have to cross my fingers, and keep in mind that VSG will probably be covered soon and I can get a revision when it is (if necessary).

One more thing... Jaffa Steve says: "My wife is a sleeve gal, and I'm a bander. Believe me, we don't have any arguments about which is better!!!!!!!"

What does that mean? They are equal? There's no question one is better than the other? You don't argue about it because it's a waste of time anyway? :thumbup1:

Edited by SpotOx

He has mentioned that everywhere he reads, the band either has to be replaced or revised to a different surgery. I think I have read where he said, when the time comes, he will get a revision to a sleeve surgery.

The sleeve is by far superior to the band. The band, is temporary and for people who can't get the sleeve for some reason. Or for some reason just won't do anything else.

I'm not allowed to get a sleeve by my profession yet, but soon they will approve them and I will revise at that time. I know better then to think I will somehow beat the odds and never need a revision.

No, my gp isn't referring me. I researched and chose my surgeon (location, insurance, credentials - not necessarily in that order). The gp is just helping me make the decision and prove to my insurance that I need it.

This is really weird. I'm reading several posts on this website that say how bad the band is. Until now, the sites I had seen were mostly positive. My question is, if the band is so bad why is it being done so often and why are the percentage rates showing negative results so low? More questions for my surgeon....

When I decided about a month ago that I was going to get WLS, I was going to get a band. Since I am going out of state, because of cost, (I'm going to be self pay and it's much less expensive in TX) I had narrowed it down to two doctors. I was talking to someone in the one who I have ended up deciding to use, and they suggested the sleeve since I was out of state. I would have a hard time finding someone to do the fills and going back and forth 1000 miles away was out of the question. He said that there is slightly more risk during surgery for the sleeve, but a bigger risk of something going wrong (erosion, slipping) after surgery with the band, and I would not want to be that far away and need my doctor. He just suggested that I do research and think about it, which I did for a couple of weeks before making a decision that the sleeve was right for me. I know a friend that got banded almost two years ago and is happy as a clam, so it is great for some obviously. Just read up and make a decision on what will work best for you! Good luck. I am going to Dallas....seminar in April, surgery in June. I can't wait. I made my appts. today!!! :tongue_smilie:

I don't know anyone who has had their band longer than 5 years who is not having major trouble. My friend has had it for 7 years and she thinks it's normal to sleep in a recliner. When I told her I was throwing up in my sleep, she told me to put a bucket next to my bed, and sleep sitting up. That's what she does and she thinks this is a normal way to live, if you want to not gain back the weight that you lost. I am so thankful that I found out about the sleeve and I had the money to get that band out of me.

I love the sleeve. I love that I can eat anything without any trouble at all. With the band, I had no idea if a certain food I ate before would make me throw up the next time I tried to eat it.

I wish they would take the band off the market.

I can eat one bite and have no problem, and literally the next bite sticks. I am then in horrible pain, when I finally get unstuck, the swelling prevent me from eating anything for 24 hours.

This really isn't the way to live. DON'T get a band unless you have NO other choice. It is so much more maintenance and work. The only thing I have better then my wife with the sleeve is, I can drink my Water quickly. I would trade her in a second.

When I was sitting at my surgeon's office waiting for my f/u appt, almost everyone else there was a lap bander, at least 1 yr out, coming in again for yet another adjustment...yes, they lost weight, but only one had reached her goal. They did say wt loss was slower. Yes, they were happy with it...but it costs $345 for a fill. One gal talked about wanting her band so tight, she couldn't eat a bite of Pasta. Maybe I should have had it done too, because I can anything I want to now, for example, I had 10 Hersey's kisses last night. So, I stall a lot too, by sabotaging myself. However, I don't anticipate having to see my doctor after my year is up, because there is really no follow up needed. And, I don't get physically hungry unless I go without eating until dinner. My stomach may grumble..a little, but it is nothing like before. For me, it's a psychological craving for sweets, bread, and other refined processed food. I am like a junkie, and I am not sure I will be successful at this, regardless of what surgery I had.

Edited by Steph_123

My wife is about 7lbs to a normal bmi....I'm down to 3lbs to normal bmi.

She sometimes sabotages herself to, but she doesn't ever gain, and will eventually lose the rest of her weight.

I'm right at 11 months and my goal is just to make it to a normal bmi....my wife has done it in half the time, and almost zero follow up necessary. I now have 9.0cc in my 10cc band....I hope I don't need another fill for awhile, but it seems I need one every 3 weeks.

The reason doctors are still pushing the band is that it's an easy money maker. besides the surgery being easy, a lot of them get money every time someone needs a fill or an unfill. There are not a lot of places that gives you fills free forever. Fills can also be very expensive, and so are the tests to find out why you are having problems.

That pretty much sums it up. Dr's do it because insurance companies PAY for it, and let's face it, they may love mankind, love helping people etc, etc but that's their JOB, to make money. You know what I mean, AND as Od said the fills are always gonna be there, more income coming in on a regular basis. with the Sleeve, after a certain time you may never need your Dr. again.

I would never recommend the band to anyone! I have followed all of the rules and still have to have the band out. I thought I would be one of the ones that had the band and rode off into the sunset to live happily ever after!!!! NOT! I put up with alot but just kept saying it's not that bad, I can live with this! Well it does work but what you have to go thru for it to work is just too much!

I couldn't agree more. I am so glad that thing is out of me and life is back to normal living with the sleeve.

I'm a week out from revision. I can't tell you how much better I all ready feel. The lapband was a total nightmare for me (yes, I followed all the rules to a "T". I did not enjoy all the pain, vomiting, inability to drink even Water, etc). I would NEVER recommend lapband, not even to my worst enemy. I have felt better this week post-op than I have felt in the last 10 months of my life.

By the way, I totally agree with the above poster about why surgeons continue to perform the Lapband "money maker".

I so what everyone else has said. The band is just short of being dangerous!! I did follow the rules and still had tons of sliming, p'bing and just very uncomfortable. I have a weekly lunch date with 2 of my friends and I can't tell you how many times I spent most of the lunch in the restroom!!! I also get sick of having my family staring at me every meal, and asking is it going to go down! That is not a life! I was not ready to do this quite yet but I'm very happy that Iam!!

Oh another thing is all the adjustments!!!!!! I spent way over $1000 getting fills. I never did have an unfill but it is a pain trying to get just the right restriction.

Anyway for what it is worth, I would never recommend the band!

Bernadette

I hate those lap band commercials. I hate that people are so excited when they get "their date" and think they are doing something good for themselves. I am getting to where I want to throw something at the tv when that commercial comes on!