Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery this Friday (PV, Mex) Tell me what to take!

PLEASE:

:blushing:Tell me what you think I need to take with me to the hotel and to the hospital.

:blush:Tell me what to expect when I wake up (please don't feel that you have to candy-coat).

PLEASE:

:blushing:Tell me what you think I need to take with me to the hotel and to the hospital.

Take as little as necessary - at least clothes wise-- you can wear the hospital gowns the entire time you're there, so basically whatever you wear the day you travel, whatever you want to wear to the hospital the next day and then whatever you want to wear home -- something that doesn't press on your incisions.

They will provide Shampoo and soap; however, no washcloths. I just took my own H&B products.

:blush:Tell me what to expect when I wake up (please don't feel that you have to candy-coat).

Well from what I can remember when I woke up in the recovery room, I remember having a sharp pain in my left shoulder blade, a sore throat and a very dry mouth. Other than that, I don't remember anything else - good, bad or indifferent. Later that day I had a bit of itching off and on and was told it was from the morphine in the spinal. Oh yeah, you'll be pink front and back from about below your boobs to above your pubic area -

That's about all I can remember -- if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

I've had lots of surgeries--most common is feeling a little nauseous, dry mouth and maybe cold. Just tell someone and they will help you with it.

yeah, when I woke up I remember telling them my back hurt . they said it was from laying flat on the table for so long. All night long, my left shoulder hurt me and they gave me something in my IV for that . After that it was a breeze. I walked all around outside because I was completely bored in my room.I was not in pain at all.

As for what to bring, I tell people to bring gum. Dr. Campos freaked out that I was chewing gum my first 24 hours. You can't drink for 24 hours and my mouth was so dry . I told him I had never swallowed gum in my life and that I would be careful.

You might bring a heating pad too, which helps with the gas pain. They provided one to me, but I would imagine they might not have enough to go around.

For me, when I woke up all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. Anesthesia does that to me. I just want to sleep for days. I remember being really annoyed because my husband and that staff kept waking me up and telling me to walk. I didn't want to walk because I also suffer severe nausea as an effect from the anesthesia. So, every time I got up to walk, I ended up vomiting. As for pain, I have to say I did not experience any. It was easy in that sense.

Like Daisy said, a heating pad is a good idea. I also brought my own pillow, but that was more for the plane ride than anything else. They do not have Gas-X in Mexico, so you may want to bring some with you to help with the gas pain. Definitely remember to bring your robe and slippers for taking walks around the hospital. And, I would bring something like sweat pants or other loose clothing for the trip back home. You want to be comfortable and not have anything tight on your incisions.

Okie doke..

I did buy the GasX strips. Gosh, I really don't want to be farting like crazy in front of my mother in law...does the gas come out?

I totally expect to be nauseous and in some pain post surgery.

Where do you put the heating pad?

Ha, are you in for a surprise. I had trouble with the passing gas part. My husband still jokes about it because every time someone on staff would come to the room, the first question they would ask was if I had started passing gas yet. First time in my life anyone has ever been concerned with whether or not I was poofing.

I liked having the heating pad on my tummy, it just felt very comforting.

OMG and I know when I do it's gonna make me laugh and then THAT will hurt.

No, laughing won't hurt -- they aren't cutting through the muscles in your skin, they are removing part of your stomach. I remember thinking that I should feel something was missing, but I couldn't tell any difference at all.

As for the heating pad, I put it on my left shoulder to help with the pain from the gas the first day, then moved it around to the front the next day as the gas had moved to the front under my left boob.

I agree with Elisabeth - it was the first time in my life that anyone had been excited to know that I was poofing and belching. :biggrin0:

yeah, most people put the heating pad on their left shoulder. That is where the gas pain ends up. I'm not sure what the heat does to move it out of the shoulder over to where it needs to go so it can come out. All I know is having the heat on my left shoulder was very soothing.

Less is more. Don't pack a lot and remember to check your bag for the flight home since you can't lift heavy things post-op. Gas X did nothing for me. Get up and walk as much as you can and also try bending a little to get things moving. Slippers, a light robe, deodorant, etc. are all basics. They don't have face cloths at the hospital (they do in the resort) so bring some handiwipes. You can shower the first day post-op and they provide Shampoo but not conditioner or a blow dryer.

I react poorly to anesthesia and told the anesthesiologist what drug I needed for the sever nausea (droperidol) but forget to tell him I get rigors (uncontrolled shaking chills) so the recovery room was not fun. They did get a heater and gave me some meds to help. I don't remember going back to my room (I was the second case of the day) but I did get up and walk by 5 AM and showered at 6 AM. After that, I was fine.

Less is more. Don't pack a lot and remember to check your bag for the flight home since you can't lift heavy things post-op. Gas X did nothing for me. Get up and walk as much as you can and also try bending a little to get things moving. Slippers, a light robe, deodorant, etc. are all basics. They don't have face cloths at the hospital (they do in the resort) so bring some handiwipes. You can shower the first day post-op and they provide Shampoo but not conditioner or a blow dryer.

I react poorly to anesthesia and told the anesthesiologist what drug I needed for the sever nausea (droperidol) but forget to tell him I get rigors (uncontrolled shaking chills) so the recovery room was not fun. They did get a heater and gave me some meds to help. I don't remember going back to my room (I was the second case of the day) but I did get up and walk by 5 AM and showered at 6 AM. After that, I was fine.

How scary! I wish I knew if I would have a reaction.

The only anesthesia I've ever really had was demerol and an epidural with all my kids.:cursing:

I was one of the lucky ones. I did not have gas pains. My surgery was 12:30 so was late afternoon before I was back in my room and I wanted to sleep. I had very little pain. I think that was because of left over meds from spinal.

The second day the only pain I had was lifting my left leg up when getting back into bed. The good thing is since the surgery is laproscopic there are only 5 very small incisions maybe 1 inch ea. That makes it allot easier for moving around. I felt kinda tired and drug out but other than that from the the second day on I was OK. Moved kinda slow but no pain. It is pretty easy actually. I was surprised.

I agree with VA, I thought I would be able to tell that most of my stomach was gone but can't tell any difference. Guess is kinda like my gallbladder or my appendex. I can't tell they are gone either. I'm so glad I did the sleeve surgery and I know you will be too. The 1st month is a challenge and then the transition to regular foods is hard. I wanted to go back to my comfort zone of mushies but I also wanted "real" food. It took about a week to be able to get my mind into solid Proteins. It is so worth it. Good luck with your "adventure" into a new life. carol

I love the sugar free popsicles, they really helped me through the liquid stages. You really feel like you are getting a treat with them.