Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet off track

I'm 12 months post VSG, I'm 20 lbs from goal. My problem is getting in my protien consitently. Every protien suppliement I've tried I find intolerable. I was doing better for a few months and my hair started to grow back, but now it's falling out again. I know it's my diet. I guess I'm at the point that I'm not sure what my diet is supposed to look like. I have also been snacking on crackers between meals, which is probably why the scale hasn't moved in a couple of months. Does anyone have suggestions for my diet that would help me to get in the needed protien? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Deanna:help::help:

I'm 12 months post VSG, I'm 20 lbs from goal. My problem is getting in my protien consitently. Every protien suppliement I've tried I find intolerable. I was doing better for a few months and my hair started to grow back, but now it's falling out again. I know it's my diet. I guess I'm at the point that I'm not sure what my diet is supposed to look like. I have also been snacking on crackers between meals, which is probably why the scale hasn't moved in a couple of months. Does anyone have suggestions for my diet that would help me to get in the needed protien? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Deanna:help::help:

Are you unable to eat solid Proteins in enough quantity to get your daily grams in? Or do you just prefer liquid Proteins?

Elisabeth has a favorite, Soy Slender. I use it to mix with chocolate EAS, that's about 30gms right there. I prefer whey Gourmet chocolate Peanut Butter, I love the stuff. You can mix it with Water and it's still thick and creamy. Or you can mix it with milk or Soy Slender. I get it at:

Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

It's made by PVL... good stuff!

Are you unable to eat solid Proteins in enough quantity to get your daily grams in? Or do you just prefer liquid Proteins?

Elisabeth has a favorite, Soy Slender. I use it to mix with chocolate EAS, that's about 30gms right there. I prefer whey Gourmet chocolate Peanut Butter, I love the stuff. You can mix it with Water and it's still thick and creamy. Or you can mix it with milk or Soy Slender. I get it at:

Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

It's made by PVL... good stuff!

Has anyone ever tried Hemp Milk? I bought some the other day at whole foods and the gal at the check out counter asked me if I had had it before and I said "No" and she said "You'll love it, it is sooo good with a little nutty flavor."

I got it because I've tried milk, soy and rice milk and my system doesn't seem to tolerate any of it, so I figured what the heck.

Interested to hear if any of you've tried it.

Has anyone ever tried Hemp Milk? I bought some the other day at whole foods and the gal at the check out counter asked me if I had had it before and I said "No" and she said "You'll love it, it is sooo good with a little nutty flavor."

I got it because I've tried milk, soy and rice milk and my system doesn't seem to tolerate any of it, so I figured what the heck.

Interested to hear if any of you've tried it.

I have to admit I have never even heard of it! ;o) Did you try it?

I have to admit I have never even heard of it! ;o) Did you try it?

No, not yet - not on full liquids until Monday -- I'll let you know though! There's all kinds of things at Whole Foods I've never heard of before - it was interesting!

I can eat solid protien, but I get so tired of meat, meat, and more meat. Not to mention, it's so hard to eat meat on the run. I spent several months eating lots of canned meat...tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines. But now I want to puke when I open up a can. I bought a protien liquid that would give me 23gm of protien in 3 tbs, but it was unbearable and thick. :help: I have started eating some cottage cheese b/c it has protien. I had about 3 oz of steak last night and 3 oz of it this morning. I like eggs, but I can only eat one at a time and it only has about 9gms.

I don't know. I just feel like I'm lost and I don't know how I got so off track or even where the track is anymore. How do other working women manage to get in a healthy diet. More than anything, I just want to be healthy. I have to much living to do to feel run down all the time.

As far as the Hemp milk, I've never heard of it before. But if it taste good and has protien, please let us know. There is a Whole Foods Store in Memphis, so I'm sure I could get some. I'll have to check out the Soy Slender. Most protien drinks have an after taste that I hate. I sometimes drink the chocolate Atkins drink. SouthBeach used to make a Meal Replacement bar that had 21gms of protien...but now it's "new" and "better tasting" and has only 12gms. I just can't see consuming that many calories for 12gms.

Thanks for the feedback.

Deanna

Do you like cheese? I get a low fat colby like a string cheese that's reallly good.

I am not home at the moment but when I get there I will write more.

Do you like cheese? I get a low fat colby like a string cheese that's reallly good.

I am not home at the moment but when I get there I will write more.

I'm not a big egg person at all; however, I can tolerate a scrambled egg with 2% shredded cheese on it - it's very tasty.

What I did for the pre-op diet and am doing now and will continue to do is prepare my Breakfast and take it to work and heat it up there, eat at my desk. I will also pack my lunch and eat in the lunchroom like others and then I will have dinner when I get home.

I am going to try (stressing try) to make up a weekly menu so I don't have to try and figure out what am I going to eat today.

I totally understand what you're saying about the Protein drink aftertaste; I've yet to find one I like on it's own. I do like the EAS French vanilla when used in a smoothie with fruit.< /strong>

I do like cheese. I quess the sting cheese wouldn't have as much fat.

White cheese is generally lower in fat than the yellow cheese and it does taste good -- we buy the big bags at Sam's Club -- it's a great good snack and easy to grab instead of something bad.

The only way I can tolerate any sort of Protein shake is vanilla flavoured in a smoothie with fruit or with low calorie chocolate topping and Peanut Butter. They are all disgusting to me.

And I just figure, for the same calories (actually a bit less) you could combine 200 mls of skim milk, an egg, some vanilla essence and then some fruit and make a smoothie and have almost 20 grams of Protein there ANYWAY, without having to pay a fortune for crappy tasting shakes.

Raw egg??? Isn't that dangerous. Like for salmonella. But if it's safe, it sounds alot better than the protien powder.< /p>

Raw egg??? Isn't that dangerous. Like for salmonella. But if it's safe, it sounds alot better than the protien powder.

I wondered that, too, however then realized that Key Lime Pie is made with raw eggs.

Curious as to the answer though.

I've made Protein pudding before using low carb chocolate slim fast cold, and mixing it in the blender with sugar free fat free Jello pudding mix. It's good with vanilla low carb slim fast and cheese cake pudding. It's kind of high in calories, but if you divide it up and put it into little serving dishes, at least you're getting Protein in a snack.< /strong>

There is also a recipe for mixing tufu with

cocoa powder that was supposed to be good.

1 container of silken tofu at room temp

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 to 2 squares unsweetened chocolate (melted)

stevia or equal to taste

Low fat ricotta cheese is supposed to be good with cocoa powder in it too.

They have low fat string cheese, and I love the colby jack

that is in a stick like string cheese and it comes in low fat.

It's 60 calories.

I also really like laughing cow cheese. (35 calories)I smear that on a piece of low fat viginia baked ham and it's yummy.

Edited by Oregondaisy