Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know if this has been asked before so I apologise now.

I was banded friday 12th May and so far I have not managed to have my liquids without getting a pain in my left shoulder. I am very hungry even about 10mins after drinking. If I drink it any slower, then what I start at Breakfast I will still be having at dinner time. I am having mostly slim fast so, is the qty too much. I am allowed to have yoghurt and even get the pain with this. Please don't tell me the qty is too much as I think I will pass out if I have to have less. I have worked out the total calories I am having and it's no more than about 850.

Can anyone help?

Listen to your body. If it hurts, slow down. You WILL be able to drink more as time goes by, but if you are hurting when you drink or eat yogurt, you could be causing MORE swelling in the band area, which causes more pain. Concentrate on hydration, and if you aren't getting enough calories, stay on the sofa for a few more days until you are able to get more in. Also, pick up some Aloe Vera juice. Drink a few ounces twice a day or so. It's very healing and my band likes it alot. I'd imagine yours would, too. Wal-mart has quart containers that are berry flavored. Otherwise, aloe vera is kinda yucky tasting. But it's good stuff. Hang in there. It isn't like this forever and you WILL get through it! Slow down in every area, drinking and activity level. Good luck!

In addition to the other suggestions, I would like to suggest a better Protein drink. Slimfast is not the best choice - at least according to my nutritionist.

I think you're probably just still suffering from the gas pain or possibly your diaphram was irritated during surgery and needs more time to heal. I'm betting on gas pain. The best thing you can do for it is to walk. Walk. Walk. Walk. Walk slowly, but walk. Also, the more you burp and pass gas the better you'll feel. So if you feel the need, don't hold it in - you'll feel better letting it out.

Don't worry, this won't last forever. At least it doesn't for most people. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

If you are getting in about 850 calories, you might do more, not less. That will probably be hard, since you might want to drink slower to try and help with the pain, but if you can have yogurt, can you have cream Soups? Cream of chicken, made a little thinner than normal with some milk, and then blend it, or strain the chunks out, might do well. Warm stuff usually goes down better than cold stuff.

On the shoulder pain, it sounds like gas. Movement is the only thing that will make it go away. That and passing gas. Not so lady like, but hey, it's gotta come out.

I'm ten days out and not hitting 1000 calories a day. I still have too much stomach swelling for that to happen. If I'm *lucky* I'm hitting 550. That's eating three mushy meals (3 oz Protein first then some low carb veggie totally mashed...green Beans and mushrooms are my two favs right now). I can't imagine eating more than that right now. I went to my doctor today and mentioned how much I'm eating and he said I was fine for ten days out of surgery. He said as my stomach heals I will tolerate more and then we'll be at fill time.

I'm learning every single day that "your mileage may vary" with this band. It seems no two people are having the same experience.

My Dr said that the pain in the left shoulder is becasue when you eat or drink too much or too fast your stomach distends and it then presses on a nerve tht goes to your left shoulder. Drink slower, don't gulp...that helpped me in the beginning. That pain hurt me for hours until I found out what it really was.

you said that you are having slimfast - I'm not very farmiliar with the content but maybe something thinner for your Protein intake? I drink Isopure for my protein (I was just banded on March 5) for my 60 required grams my intake is only 240 calories, yes I was feeling weak until I started to add some skim milk, and juices. My caloric intake is now at almost 500 and I feel great!

I think that's what I'm doing, drinking too fast! The pain in my shoulder/left upper chest does get worse after I've drank. I was really dehydrated Fri nite. I guess I don't know yet how to guage and control my rate of intake to pevent this.

I had 1/4 cup V8 juice for dinner, felt my shoulder pain, now I don't want to drink anything until it goes away cause it hurts.

This happen to me about the 3rd day after surgery. It is really caused by the gas that they have pumped in you during surgery--using starts hurting day 3-to day 5. The gas is pressing on a nerve in your diaphragm that then leads to your left shoulder. Best thing for me is to use a heating pad and lay horizontal as much as possible. Also, walking helped. Just know that it will get better.

Denise :welldoneclap: