Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All, this is my first real post. I was just banded a few days ago on Sept. 19, 2013. Started at 233.8 and was 220 by surgery day. I am on day 4 of my post op diet and got to drink some yogurt this morning. Yah !!

I had my surgery in Mexico. I started in the USA and found the place I chose to be a joke. No return calls, they did not request my medical records, I waited in their lobby 2 hours and was then told the doctor was going to be another 30 minutes would i like to return. NO! I felt that since I was on the lower side of the weight guidelines and I did not have a 5 year history they were not following up with my file.

I researched and researched going to Mexico as its 3 hours from my house. Dr. Ariel Ortiz had only great reviews, even on this site his reviews were great. I could not find a negative review so I said "Obesity is making me feel horrible and is dangerous, going to another country can be dangerous, I feel the risk is worth it". I had been experienceing health issues due to my weight, I am sure you can all relate, heartburn, tired, swelling feet, my thighs rubbed together, can't cross my legs, easily winded, hot. etc. etc. I knew I had to do something and my weight loss efforts were up and down. I lose, I gain it back. I felt the lap band would be a "tool" to help me stay thin, acive and healthy.

So off to Mexico I went, the pre-surgery instructions, support and communication were AWESOME! my emails were answered immediately. The day of surgery I met their van at the border, I was taken about 7 minutes across the border to Tiajuana (which of course seemed scary given Mexico's current issues) and was safely inside thier beautiful clinic and greeted by their director fo first impressions who wasw expecting me and my friend.

I quickly went to a Dr. who did pre health screening and test (blood pressure EKG, blood work, etc) and then I went to the nutritonist who talked with me for a long time about my post op diet, the band and what to expcet. She was soooo nice.

Then Dr. Martinez (handsome may I add) came in to talk to me. He answered every question I had with an awesome friendly attitude and was reassuring and intelligent, clear spoke as good of English as I do.

Then onto pre-op prep I went. They put me in a robe, hat and booties, gave me my own room with TV, bed, Couch, chairs and relaxing music. Gave me a mosquito bite size shot in the stomach for circulation, put some long pressure socks on me, an IV drip to hydrate me and off to surgery I went. The anesthesia was put in the iV and the Anestheeologist was there the entire time.

After surgery I felt Bad of course, When I woke I had horrible pressure in my chest and it scared the hell out of me, plus my back ached. They said the pressure was gas and would go away (took an hour but did go away) and they gave me a pill under the tongue to help me with my anxiety and pain. In one hour I felt better. They said as soon as I could get up and walk I would feel much better so I pushed on the walking. I have had a csection and I know this is very true and I was not afraid of it.

After walking I felt pretty darn good, sore and was being careful when rising or laying down but considering I just had surgery I felt pretty good. Also I had a hernia they repaired for free and they did want to keep me but I felt good and knew my friend would not leave me and I would be more comfy at the hotel. So they let me go.

They took us to the Marriot which was very nice, lots of people around to help your every single need. I have been to many 4 star hotels but I have never seen one with so many staff members around. The hotel stay was part of my surgery cost, I also got free broth, juice, Water, popsicles, a discount on my friends meals and a free contintental Breakfast for my friend who accompanied me.

We went to the room, I relaxed a bit then we went to the restaurant for dinner. My friend had a meal she loved, I had broth and juice and it was really good broth, very savory (unlike the stuff i bought at home which sucked!). I felt good but after sitting for a while felt sore so rising was a bit of a sore type pain.

I slept well and could sleep on my back or right side (not left yet as thats where the incsions and port side is). I woke up feeling good, just sore.

We went to breakfast where I had more broth then we went home. The van takes you to the border and then you must walk across with your luggage through customs. Not a a problem for me as walking is good. Some of the cosmetic surgery patients who had tummy tucks were struggling we so we actually helped them with their luggage.

Then back home I went. I am feeling good, just still sore but thats getting better. I can feel the bubbles in my tummy but so far no sticks and i feel good. Just had yogurt to drink and its setting well. Also I took Advil, I had PMS and a horrible hormone headache so I called the Dr. and he said liquid gel caps (which were HUGE and I was scared to take them) but I took them and had no problems.

So far so Good. Feeling motivate, excited, sore but ready for a better life !!

Do you have a post op care doctor or clinic? Fills and aftercare will be very important for you to succeed?

tmf

My Dr in Mexico is 2-3 hours away so my follow up care can be done there . Also because they have done so many surgeries they have lots of experience with fills. Also they use X-ray where as many doctors don't have the equipment on site . I have read many posts about doctors having issues finding ports? The doctor told me that if you are taking proper care with the newest bands there is seldom slippage and that continual fills are not the best use of the band. He said two fills in a lifetime can work if the patient is following the guidelines. I hope I am one of those .