Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Thick saline? What is that Melissa? Glad you had a great time. I love Hawaii as well.

Today's the big 60. Feeling every bit of it too. :) Happy birthday to other Barbara 12 as well. I think it was yesterday.

I hope I don't gain any weight while gone. I'm holding my own, but definitely not losing. I think some of us are just slow losers. The October challenge is going to be good for us all.

Talk to you on Monday when I return.

Barbara --

It's called omnipaque (?? spelling). They use it for people who seem to absorb the normal saline. This omni stuff from what I hear is less forgiving (so PB's here I come --I hope not). We shall see how it goes. But with my 2 fills I lost at least half my normal saline so she changed me to this stuff.

Have a great trip. Happy B-day!!

Melissa Lea

Regina- you are looking good girl! I especially notice it in your face. I've been doing really good this week, so I am ready for the October challenge. Happy Birthday Barbaras!!

Question: if you knew then, what you know now, would it matter?

Unless you want to go thru the pain of another surgery to have the band removed, you're as stuck as a pb. I took a pill about an hour ago, and have been burping for an hour now. I am no longer willing to go out to eat, because I always end up running to throw up. If I could eat, 3 small meals a day - I'd be happy. As in every other diet, some get it, and lose, and some don't. I thought the band kind of guaranteed a win. Perhaps only gastric gives the weight loss I need.

Randi-

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. It looks like you've lost a good amount of weight having only been banded since the end of June. Hang in there. You are having success! Be patient with yourself and your band, but don't give up!

Randi: I know how you feel. I sometimes wish I had not done this to myself. My lifestyle has changed in more ways than one. It is a pain in the ass to not eat during work, for fear of getting sick. It is a pain to order Soup when I go out to eat, and it is really upsetting that crap goes down easy, but real food gets stuck.

But then I see myself in the mirror. Feel my clothes getting loser, get comments from others, and I know the band is doing its job. As frustrating as it is... it is working. We knew there would be issues, we knew we would have to change our lives. No one said it would be easy.

Randi--

Please try our October challenge. I've had the PB's this month too. PB's seem to slow my weight loss--sounds like your prob too.

Have you tried aloe vera juice--I've haven't, but some say it really helps.

All the best.

Randi L --

I am sorry to hear that you are Pb'ing often. You may want to try sipping on 100% pure pineapple juice with your meals. Pineapple contains a natural digestive enzyme, Bromelain, that is specific to breaking down Proteins. This may assist you with the digestion of your foods. Remember, digestion starts in the mouth, so chew, chew, chew to get the salivary digestive enzymes cranking.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have to take pills for my Migraines that I get. I have sipped (2 to 3 sips) of real coke each time to dissolve my pill faster. Coke will dissolve anything. I've always had real coke with my pills, only difference is 2 to 3 sips vs. whole can. The 2 to 3 sips (emphasize small) of carbonation have not affected me.

Best wishes to you. You are not alone.

Melissa Lea

Thanks for both tips Melissa--pineapple juice and coke. I agree with the chew chew chew--no PB's for me if I really take the time to chew each bite 30 times.

Poodles--If I knew then what I know now (re:banding) I probably would have given WW and a personal trainer a lot more serious attention--but the deed is done and I am reminded how awful it was to binge after a weight loss pre band. I was almost zombie-like at times--mindless eating. That's one thing the band does--you gotta think about what you're eating--or else. All in all, I have to save thumbs up--but it ain't easy!

Easy is sooooo far from what this is. I often sit and wonder what the hell did I do? The pbing and slime today is more than I can take. I actually threw up for the first time today. What a relief that was after an hour and half of slime. I can only wonder what tomorrow will bring. Yes you definately have to think think think about what your eating and how your eating it anytime you put ANYTHING in your mouth.

I hope everyone is having a better day than me. No even trying to eat for me today!

Wow, I havebt had a PB yet, Im so sorry so many have! I do get very uncomfortable and feel like full and crappy if I eat too much, ususally lasts like 4 hours or more.

Good luck to you with this PB ing problem!

Stephanie--you must be a good chewer.

Carol

I'm with ya sistah! I simply can't eat unless I'm concentrating on chewing. I was hungrier before my last fill, but I didn't have to be so careful.

Guess it's about forming new habits. I'm so proud when I can finish a meal. BF and lunch--good. dinner a bit rushed b4 an outing--it'll have to wait. I will not PB, I will not, I will not!

Like Stephanie, I have never PB'd yet either, but we have both lost a good amount. If I had to deal with sliming and PB'g on a daily basis, I'd have my fill removed, and if that didn't work, have the band removed. I don't know how you all endure it! I have a fill appt. on October 19, and I have been feeling a lot more hunger this week, so I probably need one, but I'm definitely not going to let him put too much in. I'd rather be hungry than throwing up.

Best of luck to all of you. I know I'm lucky, and I hope you can all find some relief.

Question-

I've been really stubborn lately and determined not to PB. I have been chewing and chewing, eating slower, being very selective with foods, etc. But, my question is, if you feel a golfball/PB coming on...nausea, pain, saliva, etc. Is it better to do everything to keep it down(walk, lift arms up, etc) or just let it come up? As far as pain relief, it is gross to vomit, but it feels so much better quicker than dealing with something stuck. I know excess PB's can cause slippage, but what about a piece of food pushing it's way through the band? This is just a QUESTION that I want opinions on. I am not saying I force food down or make myself throw up.