Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Hi all!

Devana-what doctor r u using? My date is June 29 in Mexico too-Dr. Ortiz.

I have a question for those of you who have already had surgery-How does it feel to drive a stick shift after surgery? I am going alone and debating whether I should drive myself.

12 days!

SunnyDee - I know how you are feeling. My date is next Tuesday, and I've had the worst week, emotionally. While many of the days I am able to do liquids, a few of them included food. When I went for my pre-op I'd only lost 3 pounds. I was thinking like this "Dr told me to only do liquids, and I had 19 days to make a difference, and once again I failed, I always fail when it comes to food. Food is more important than most things, and it wins once again. I coulda, shoulda, woulda, but the food is screaming out .... EAT ME QUICK BEFORE YOUR BAND" I'm also having some teeth problems, and praying I come out of this without broken teeth. Oh you smart people, wise enough to do this is your 20's, 30's.... I can't remember anymore what I looked like at a normal weight, so I have no idea what to expect when the date is is June 20, 2007. My other fear is, I'll be alone after the procedure... I live alone. While I can ask family to come and help, they all have busy lives. Will I need help? I'm so thankful I will be able to work thru this, knowing you're all out there going thru it.

Poodles~

I was in costco yesterday and found a Protein Drink. It is called Wellements Premium Pro Rated. It was 25.00 for 72 servings. It only has 27g of Protein per serving though. Does anyone know exactly how much protein we are supposed to have? I haven't tried it yet, but will for "lunch" if you can call drinking liquid, "lunch"...lol Today is day 2 of liquid diet. I made it through day one without a morsel of "real" food. I am down 13 pounds from the day I made my surgery date! I am 5 days to surgery, and hoping to drop 3 more pounds...plus it is "that time of month"...figures! LOL

Hope all are doing well! I am so excited about joining those of you who have already been banded and equally excited about sharing my experience with those who are still waiting. I am being banded by Dr. Ortiz, so if anyone was already banded by him and you have any last minute suggestions, I'm all ears...

Janelle- From my understanding we are to try for 60 grams of Protein a day, so that we don't lose our hair. A little Biotin in our Multivitamin helps with that too. So with my 50 gram shake, I can pretty much relax the rest of the day. Even though there is not a ton of protein in my Soups, I figure it adds up to over 60 by days end. You will do great! If that Protein Powder works for you then go for it.

Just take it really easy the day before surgery. I think that helped me to only do liquids, and mostly Clear Liquids that day. And bring a big MuMu/Housedress type outfit with you. That makes getting dressed easy.

Thanks Poodles! I don't have any MuMu's :rant: I never really wear loose clothing. I'm a jeans and T-shirt kinda gal... Somebody may see me going down the freeway in my bathrobe...LOL

Another 1/2 hour and I will be trying this new Protein drink. I am going to mix it in the blender with some ice and make a milkshake. Mmmm, hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

Are you still feeling restricted? or can you just about eat whatever you want? I won't be able to get a fill until the end of August, that will be 2 months post surgery.

Well, I'm off to test my will power...I have a wedding to attend! 2 hours away. Thanks again for everyones help!!!

Hello everyone,

I finally got banded on June 15th. I stayed overnight at the hospital, I was pretty uncomfortable, had the worst gas pains for 2 days. Finally I am feeling better today but really really sore. I have been drinking Isopure and broth and sugarfree popsicles. I find that I get really tired if I move around too much.

Welcome Candy! You will be feeling better in about a week.

Regarding restriction for those banded 10-14 days ago: At first I felt really restricted, and could not eat much. Then as long as I drank my shake first thing I felt fine, but today I have been off and feel like I have eaten way too much. Really feel stuffed. This is what I have had. 1 can cambells chuncky mexican Soup, 1 Isopure Shake, 1/2 cup pinto Beans, 3 large cups of tea, 1 Frosty from Wendy's (yeah, I know) and 1/2 cup of blended Chili from Wendy's. Anybody else eating this much???? I feel like such a cow... but that other 1/2 cup of chili is calling my name.

Best of luck to everyone! I was hoping to get banded this time last year and I know the frustrations and difficult moments that happen as an early bandster.

All you can do is keep a positive attitude, try to find things to do that does not involve food and get more active as the pounds start falling off!! :rant:

I'm not on here much and I probably don't have the best advice to give, but I wouldn't mind helping out the newbies. ;)

So far the best advice I have heard is: The band will get you there, it's your choice where it is kicking and screaming or if you will enjoy the ride. :) That was said to me at my first fill and I have enjoyed the full ride thus far. ;)

Socialgal, 12 days???? I'm really not ready. I mean I am emotionally, but certainly not otherwise. I've been so busy with the last day of school and music recitals and all sorts of other mom stuff that I haven't given much thought to the nuts and bolts, like getting the money together and buying stuff.(aloe vera juice, gas- x etc.) At least Jane and I have our plane tickets.

While the entire process sounds like "the cure"... are we ever truly ready for this? Ready to give up the beloved friend that food has been? Ready to leave the safety of the known, for all the unknown? Ready to do what we should have been doing all along? You know, I do understand that this is a "tool" - what we do with it is how we will shrink, and grow as human beings. I wish I was that person that figured out why I have this obsession, why it controls my thoughts, and allows me to feel so bad about myself, even tho I have many accomplishments to be proud of.

I'm looking back at 30+ years of being "plump", "fat", "obese" and now "morbidly obese" - and it's been a long and terribly frustrating ride for me.

I'm looking forward to the next, 20 ? years, of becoming healthy, not having to shoot insulin, not having high cholesterol, not being able to just sleep well, and having the opportunity of not embarrasing my grandchildren, as I'm sure I did my boys.

I'm scared. I'm emotional. I'm thinking about the gas, and the pain, and all the things I'm going to HAVE to do, that I can't do by myself.

)but I'm gonna do it!!!(

ARGGGGGGGGGG - another Saturday Night.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!!

randi

06-20-06

I guess I really should figure out my signature, and add the icons,

but for now, it's a lot that I'm typing!

not allowing myself to feel lousier than I do at this moment.

poodles,

believe me, i know how you feel. it will get better especially when you can move on to soft foods. i was just like you earlier this week. i felt i was eating too much. in fact, i feel like i could still eat everything and anything in sight. my doctor has me on "soft foods" now like cooked fish, veggies and soft fruit incorporrated with the liquid phase. i just had to tell myself "you don't want to over do it and you still want to give yourself time to heal". so, i've been having a Isopure shake or 1/2 c egg beaters for Breakfast (if i'm hungry), 1/2 c of stewed squash or 1 small avacado with salsa for lunch and 4-6 oz of cooked fish for dinner.

so, you are not a cow. you are normal just like me.

cutiern:D

Chako, I'm just following the sage advice that "the best me" (Kathy) has posted about aloe vera juice. Do a search and find the related posts. I have always kept a plant around for burns, and I know 2 people who were recovering from viral meningitis who craved the juice and gulped down bottle after bottle for several weeks. It seems their bodies craved it. The first friend discovered it by accident, and I told the second one about it and she found it to be the same. So, a natural product that I've taken for granted and underestimated. Anyway, as Kathy has posted, it's supposed to be wonderful in aiding the healing of the stomach after the band is placed.

Chako, I also want to add good luck on Thurs. Positive thoughts to you that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. My friend Jane and I will be heading down a week after.

My hubby and I will be leaving Monday to drive to FW area for my band surgery. I am sooooooo excited:clap2: , he is a nervous wreck:eek: . The surgery will be on Tuesday and if all goes as planned, we will drive back home on Wednesday. I have done my shopping and I believe I have the things I need. I'm making sure I take a pillow for the car ride, along with pain and nausea meds, if needed.

When you hear from me again, I will be a Member of the BAND!

Terry :biggrin1: