Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed!!! :-...(

I was working so hard to get everything completed for my surgery date for October 30th. Now, I'll have to wait until January 3rd because my PCP prefers for my to have the procedure at the hospital & stay overnight instead of at the surgical center like I was scheduled for... I am so ready to get my journey started!

I was working so hard to get everything completed for my surgery date for October 30th. Now' date=' I'll have to wait until January 3rd because my PCP prefers for my to have the procedure at the hospital & stay overnight instead of at the surgical center like I was scheduled for... I am so ready to get my journey started![/quote']

Sorry to hear that :( why do you have to wait so long?

Hi Journey, I know just what you mean -- I feel so ready and the hospital bureaucracy is knocking the stuffing out of me. Yesterday I got irritated and started looking around at potential other places to go but we live in a very rural area and this is my best option for getting to fills during snowy weather, etc. And I like the staff but cannot understand how they are so bogged down. Keep your chin up! Is there something you can do in these few months leading up to January?

I was working so hard to get everything completed for my surgery date for October 30th. Now, I'll have to wait until January 3rd because my PCP prefers for my to have the procedure at the hospital & stay overnight instead of at the surgical center like I was scheduled for... I am so ready to get my journey started!

I agree with your PCP, quicker is not always better or safer, I personally would never get any type of bariatric surgery in a surgery center, from what I've seen happen to others over the years.

Hospitals are better equipped to deal with any unforeseen issues or complications.

The lap band is the safest surgery, but if done wrong it can cause horrible complications, it does have a high complication rate because of bad surgeons and non compliant patients bending the rules.

January will come very quick, use this time to research the band thoroughly with how it works, how to avoid complications, foods to eat, exercise, etc.

Good luck.

NaNa what is your source for 'high complication rates' pertaining to the actual surgical procedure. My understanding was that the complications were few for the surgery in of itself. Most complications would arise after surgery and require reassessment or readmittance to the hospital for further diagnostics. Not acute complications requiring immediate intervention whilst in surgery. I would like to read the stats on the lapband surgical rates, but I have been unsuccessful in finding them thus far.

I had my procedure in a hospital, but didn't have to stay overnight. Although I would not have minded, the hospital and the staff were amazing. Sorry you have to wait so long, but it sounds like your PCP is very cautious...which isn't a bad thing.

So sorry to hear. It is ashame you have to wait so long.

You will be starting the New Year with a new you! Don't be disappointed, you have an opportunity to make some changes now, that you will need once you are banded. Practicing them now will give you a great learning curve that many did not have the opportunity to take.

You can practice the mechanics of eating with the band as if you have it already. Drinking Water in between meals,cutting out soda and caffeine if you haven't already done that.

Starting a low impact exercise program like walking and get a little further every day and this is good for your heart as well. To build up to a full program slowly not putting undue pressure on the heart.

I started this journey with my husband in January of this year and we weren't banded until May. So we took the time to start learning some of the things we needed to, and remove some bad habits from our diet. We also took some time to figure out what Protein shakes tasted the best and had the best texture for us, and we "practiced" the pre-op diet a few weeks before the actual 2 weeks. We slowly replaced our meals and snack with the liquids so by the time we were in pre-op diet phase we were not missing anything or feeling deprived.

Your going to get there and your going to be happy and healthy doing it. 2014 here you come!

NaNa what is your source for 'high complication rates' pertaining to the actual surgical procedure. My understanding was that the complications were few for the surgery in of itself. Most complications would arise after surgery and require reassessment or readmittance to the hospital for further diagnostics. Not acute complications requiring immediate intervention whilst in surgery. I would like to read the stats on the lapband surgical rates, but I have been unsuccessful in finding them thus far.

Please re-read that paragraph....

The lap band is the safest surgery, but if done wrong it can cause horrible complications, it does have a high complication rate because of bad surgeons and non compliant patients bending the rules.

You are correct the lap band surgery itself IS pretty safe if done properly, some surgery centers have no problems, but many have in the past, including that infamous 1800-get-thin clinic that was probed by Congress and Allergan finally stopped selling bands to them.

Unless you've been in a bubble, the lap band HAS A VERY HIGH COMPLICATION RATE, Allergan the manufacturer is in the process of selling it for this very reason, for non complaint patients abusing the band, surgeons abusing the band, offering horrible or no aftercare, etc...the list goes on

Many post here apparently have not researched the band, or tried to find the best surgeon for them, many do not even realize what is going on with the Manufacturer selling the band, it has been abused over and over again, and warning people of the dangers of the band and how to best avoid complications does not help.

Lap band issues usually don't start to rear their ugly head until about 5-6 years post op and have A VERY HIGH COMPLICATION RATE LONG TERM. This is why I try to warn newbies and help them, some people are cocky and don't have a clue what they are getting themselves into, the band CAN be safe if someone has good aftercare, but that still do not prevent issues, this is why many long term bandsters, reduce saline long term.

Fourteen-Year Long-Term Results after Gastric Banding

http://www.hindawi.c...es/2011/128451/

http://gastro.oxford...tro.got023.full

LAGB has been demonstrated to have some advantages, such as ease of operation, low risk and low early complication rate. However, LAGB is associated with a high late complication rate and a requirement of a high level of follow-up management. Although LAGB is efficient in reducing body weight in obese patients, the percentage of patients with successful and perfect weight loss is unsatisfactory. With advances in laparoscopic skills and improvement in other surgical procedures, there is a trend towards replacing LAGB in the treatment of obesity [14]. We believe that LAGB should not be the first choice for the treatment of obesity, but should remain as a therapeutic alternative for obese patients, such as the young and patients who do not tolerate removal of the gastrointestinal tract.

Here are some links if you have not been reading up on lap band issues, all you have to do is google:

http://bariatricsurg...n-lap-band-sale

http://www.yourdocto...nd-turn-around/

http://articles.lati...p-band-20120203

http://www.cbsnews.c...-sales-decline/

http://www.medscape....warticle/758086

http://www.californi...ery-advertising

http://www.necn.com/...7d144f251fc5584

it will be worth the wait.....excellent time to eat better foods, get your mind in the game and when the time does come, it is game ON.....it will pass quickly :)

My surgery was scheduled for September 23. Just got a call from the drs office my surgery was pushed back to October 3.

My surgery was scheduled for September 23. Just got a call from the drs office my surgery was pushed back to October 3.

How did surgery go? How are you doing now?

I was working so hard to get everything completed for my surgery date for October 30th. Now' date=' I'll have to wait until January 3rd because my PCP prefers for my to have the procedure at the hospital & stay overnight instead of at the surgical center like I was scheduled for... I am so ready to get my journey started![/quote']

Hang in there, you will be thankful for the overnight stay in the hospital. I am very grateful I didn't have day surgery. The hospital staff was wonderful where I had my surgery. My surgeon required his patients to stay overnight in case of complications.